38%
Wildcards should be inserted explicitly
62%

Total votes: 13

anonymous_object
Site Admin

Search page functionality

Post by anonymous_object »

Ok, I've received several PMs from different people about how the search.php page works.
Some people would like the search text automatically include wildcards while others would like them only used when explicitly added.

For example, with automatic wildcards when a search for 'air' is made, all results containing the letters 'air' will be returned. With this method, 'bottle fairy' images will also be included since the letters 'air' are present somewhere in the phrase.

With explicity added wildcards, if you search for 'air', only exact matches of the letters 'air' will result ('bottle fairy' will not be included). With this method wildcards can be inserted by using asterisks such as in '*air*' which would also return 'bottle fairy' results.

I can make the search page work either way, but I want to know which way most people prefer so you can vote =P
Currently, the searching automatically inserts wildcards like the first example.
Last edited by anonymous_object on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-shuushuu!
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

While it can take getting used to, I prefer explicit wildcards immensely. Saves you time when you're searching for something that could show up in other names.. the 'Air' example given is a good one.

On the subject of searches, being able to search on multiple fields would be kinda nice, too.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

AnimeJ wrote:On the subject of searches, being able to search on multiple fields would be kinda nice, too.
What do you mean?
e-shuushuu!
amfest

Post by amfest »

I think he means being able to run a search on image description and post content. those are the only two fields I can see running a search on at the same time since sometimes people post the info of where the image is from or characters are but the image isn't updated with the info so won't show up on a image description search. . . Maybe if there was another search that automatically searches those two areas.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I too voted for explicit wildcards.

Else with automatic wildcards, as stated, when you're looking for all "Air" images, you'll get 15 or more out of 38 pages with "Bottle Fairy" and other images that aren't relevant to your search. (Which takes considerably more time to browse.)

Plus I feel explicit wildcards aren't that hard to use, just add one or more * where needed and it works. I feel most users should be able to comprehend how that works and can be used. And else, I'll gladly help any users that have problems searching images, they can always PM us.

Also, the use of explicit wildcards (or not) does not impact or isn't impacted by the correct or incorrect use of tags. If a user doesn't correctly tag an "Air" image as being from "Air", looking for it with air or *air* won't yield a different result anyway.
Fettgans

Post by Fettgans »

How about a check-button "Automatic wildcards" that would modify the sql query when checked ?

Er.. I hope you understand what I try to say
|[ Current projects : DoujinSuki | CF ]|
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

anonymous_object wrote:
AnimeJ wrote:On the subject of searches, being able to search on multiple fields would be kinda nice, too.
What do you mean?
Right now, you can only search by one qualifier for any of the ones given... so it's basically being able to search by title and characters as opposed to one or the other.
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

I chose to use them only when explicitly added. Sometimes you can get a 30 page return and it takes a lot of time (And I would think bandwith) to search through them.

I do like the system where you can search for something like eva! and the explanation point triggers anything with eva. Not sure if that is possible here though.

And I thought searching by "Image Description" searched the character, caption and source fields? I could be confused though. :oops:
Aliens, Time Travelers, Sliders and Espers recieve FREE FOOD! Come to us!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

AnimeJ wrote:
anonymous_object wrote:
What do you mean?
Right now, you can only search by one qualifier for any of the ones given... so it's basically being able to search by title and characters as opposed to one or the other.
If you choose to search by image description, it will search characters, anime, caption, id, etc...
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Does it search the 'artist' field too? Because I have the impression you can't search for artist names if they're only in the artist field...
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Smithy wrote:Does it search the 'artist' field too? Because I have the impression you can't search for artist names if they're only in the artist field...
As of now, no, it does not. I recently re-added that field and I haven't updated the search page to include it yet.
e-shuushuu!
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

hmm im not sure how to explain this but il give it a try...

when it comes to searching could you make it so when you search for a pic lets say fate stay night cos it has alot of pics... its a bit hard searching a lot of pages for a certin pic cos you only get 15 pics per page so i was wondering could you make it so you get like 50 pics or more per page but make it like the thumbnails in the my documents folder so we can just see the image and the image size cos that way we would be able to search for reposts faster and it will help keep reposts down and we will be able to search for what we want faster....but only when it comes to searching.......i hope this is a good idea :|
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Ok, I finally got around to updating the search page to add explicit wildcard support.
I've also expanded the search control for image descriptions. You can now choose the exact image metadata fields you want to search on by checking the corresponding checkboxes.
Let me know if anyone encounters any problems/bugs with the new search method ^^
http://e-shuushuu.net/search.php
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Seems to work just terrific so far anony! Thanks for all the hard work! :D
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

anonymous_object wrote:Ok, I finally got around to updating the search page to add explicit wildcard support.
I've also expanded the search control for image descriptions. You can now choose the exact image metadata fields you want to search on by checking the corresponding checkboxes.
Let me know if anyone encounters any problems/bugs with the new search method ^^
http://e-shuushuu.net/search.php
Wai! \^.^/

Gambare!