New job for shuu?

Have a good idea? Let us know
yuna

New job for shuu?

Post by yuna »

How about a "Welcoming Committee"? In charge of welcoming new users, explaining tags/rules/behavior, and such. I get PMs all the time asking for help and how to do this or that, just because I was the one who spoke to them first. I noticed a lot of users just ignore an image without tags, or ignore someone new who keeps posting inappropriate images. It'd be nice to have people there who are supposed to welcome new users, and to show them how this site works.

I just really support this, in a way that, I'd like to take charge of the crew responsible for this. If anony needs help, I'm here to help, it's my job.
Yatchen

Re: New job for shuu?

Post by Yatchen »

I think that's just something that should be expected of the current staff and open to any member that wants to help out...I think that greeting every single new member as a -job- is impractical to ask and possibly...annoying? I just see it as something that anyone should be able to do, and this would lock out a lot of members from that possibility.

And eh, as long as you (and anyone else) are available for PM, it should be okay? :3
私は悪魔です。
yuna

Post by yuna »

I see what you're saying Yatchy...just having people appointed to "answer questions" would be helpful you know? I'm not saying that everyone is not to be "involved," just bringing up the fact that "new users" or people unfamiliar to the site would not know what to do if they had just joined, you see?

Just welcoming users with a friendly hello is fine, but I'm saying to answer questions if needed, so they don't become uninterested with shuushuu as a whole cause they can't find the answers.
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

But isn't that why we have help and information pages? If we need something more, then clearly something is wrong with those. And anyway, it's just as easy for a user to PM a mod or tagger as it would be for them to PM a designated helper like you suggest. It's not like we're not always around~
私は悪魔です。
yuna

Post by yuna »

But, to avoid unneccesary images? Don't we need a specific "role" to point the user in the right direction? We still have the English barrier to consider with those users who just lurk shuushuu to begin with, right? Also, no, we ARE NOT always around. That's why I think this is still a viable attribute to think about.
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

well, when I joined shuushuu I had no problems with mixing in fast, because I have read the rules first. I know some of the users aren't good with english, so i understand why they make mistakes...but there are a lot of users that can read the rules, but they just ignore them.

I know there was a google translate feature that there was a way to add to a page...so you can just pick your language and the page gets translated to your language. We should..put smthn like that on the rules page...
..wait, the rules page was already translated into a few languages, no? >:I
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

Yeah, they were. There's a link to them off the rules page.
私は悪魔です。
yuna

Post by yuna »

Exactly my point Rabbit-chan, a lot of users just ignore the rules even though he/she clearly sees them. They just "jump right on" uploading images. We have no way of knowing that they are new or how long he/she has been here. So how are we supposed to hope that they know what to do? All we can do is PM them and be there if he/she has questions. I think a relaxed system like this is taking shuu the wrong way.

We need to be helpful to our users, not just plob some rules/backround and tags for them to read. I understand there is Google Translate, but not everyone knows about or how to use these things. Also the translated pages, how are "new users" supposed to know about them?
Quenlin

Post by Quenlin »

Seems a waste of time, most new users get welcomed in a heartbeat anyway and TBH some people like to just slide in unnoticed, like me for example.
Disabled for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, inappropriate use of a bus. - Ran
Yeah, but she's cute, whereas the kids from Code LYOKO are a sniper's dream come true. -RdMarquis