Subscribtions please!

Have a good idea? Let us know
-Aki-

Subscribtions please!

Post by -Aki- »

Can we have the ability to subscribe to tags and artists. I'm sure it can be implemented relatively quickly as just a custom filter.
RockRabbit

Re: Subscribtions please!

Post by RockRabbit »

lol, that would be quite awesome O.o
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Merun

Post by Merun »

Already suggested I believe: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1181
Merun @ Twitter
-Aki-

Post by -Aki- »

The other thread seems to talk about just subscription technology, while what I want is more like youtube/forums where you just get notified of new stuff. Since they all do it I'm sure it's doable. I mean about every forum software out there has thread subscribtion, so you don't google server power to do it.
Merun

Post by Merun »

You just described another "technology", which wasn't in your first post. From your description, I will assume you mean e-mail notification when an image with a specific tag is uploaded on E-shuushuu. It's better if you describe precisely what you mean.

Yes it's doable, but might or might not be easy depending on the current implementation of the tag system, same for the required power. The technology discussion on the other topic was brought up because it's the solution the admin came up when the user suggested "subscription", and is also certainly the easiest one for him to implement without requiring much power.
Merun @ Twitter
-Aki-

Post by -Aki- »

No. Subscribtion these days also refers to any feature of a website that simply helps one filter though information overload; not just email notification. Basically, favorites but for entire tags and artists, instead of individual images.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Err... that's a filter, or some saved search filter ( This could be quite demanding resource wise if everyone use it ), far away from the idea of subscription.

The goal of a "subscription" is that the information comes to you in a timely manner or as soon as possible, à la RSS / e-mail.

A non goal of subscription is "filtering", because you chose what you want to receive. You may confuse filter and subscription nowadays because some website presents subscription as part of their web interface.
Merun @ Twitter
-Aki-

Post by -Aki- »

Merun wrote:Err... that's a filter, or some saved search filter ( This could be quite demanding resource wise if everyone use it ).
Do you have any evidence to support that claim? I'm sure there is some "horrible" implementation where it will slow down the site, but that's not to say there is no good way to implement it. I feel you're just starting at with the assumption "any implementation of this will be slow" even though it's nothing new and has been done plenty of times successfully on other sites.

Even if implementing it like a gallery proves to be too much of a challenge, I'm sure a simple notification page with "this and that got updated" would be fairly easy to do at least.
Merun

Post by Merun »

I don't know the SQL database scheme, but you can assume ( doesn't take more than 20 seconds to analyze this ) that there is 2 tables ( images + tag ) to join + 1 linking table for each tag in the search + more for alias and other stuff if put in the search.

We now have a table holding 400 000 images, and as you can see, as I said, if everyone use the function ( and I can foresee people using this as the homepage of E-shuushuu ( well they can do it at the moment by bookmarking the search page though it's not used as this since it's not a visible feature ( proof is you are asking for it ) ), this could quickly become put quite a charge.
anonymous_object wrote: Multi tag searches can get complex and having RSS readers hitting them every 10 minutes would be bad.

Bit of an old quote but it's not something which can be solved easily. I didn't say slow btw nor I didn't say the server can't handle, nor that there is no optimization possible ( there was a number of optimization done recently for the user profile pages which are now cached, and I guess the tables are indexed ).

If you want some illustration, just try danbooru with a basic account and more than 2 tags. And Youtube do require Google's power, it's owned by Google. Lastly forums subscription are real subscription, not a search filter.
Merun @ Twitter