Tag Suggestion Thread

Have a good idea? Let us know
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

Then I'm going to get in trouble :\ As I refuse to call something something that it isn't.
Ran

Post by Ran »

tsukiko wrote:Then I'm going to get in trouble :\ As I refuse to call something something that it isn't.
The tags we supply are placed for practicality and functional ease. No, not all the tags are technically correct, but they are designed with a purpose in mind. Use them as they are described.

The "waloli" fad is merely an offspring of the "gothic" / "lolita" fad so you can use the "gothic" tag for them and you won't get into trouble. However, if you just refuse to tag images altogether, then yes, you will get in trouble.
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

I'm not talking about waloli or gothic :\

I'm talking about the kimono and yukata tags. A short kimono is NOT a yukata. In fact, the closest thing to a short kimono is a Haori, which is actually worn as a coat over a kimono.
Last edited by tsukiko on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ran

Post by Ran »

tsukiko wrote:I'm not talking about waloli or gothic :\
If you're referring to the yukata / kimono debate, then just work with us. Going into ever picture to see if there's multiple layers of clothing or not is tedious with minimal results.
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

c-c j00 are fast like the ninja.

I guess I'm up in arms about this.. because well I've always felt that making inaccurate assumptions about a cultures clothing is well, rude.
Ran

Post by Ran »

tsukiko wrote:c-c j00 are fast like the ninja.

I guess I'm up in arms about this.. because well I've always felt that making inaccurate assumptions about a cultures clothing is well, rude.
Nobody is making assumptions. We are well aware of the differences between a summer yukata and a traditional kimono. However, for this website's system and for it alone, we're using these tags for imagery purposes. Nobody is being rude by any means.
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

So, I'm no longer allowed to tag an image with a girl wearing an actual yukata with the yukata tag?
Ran

Post by Ran »

tsukiko wrote:So, I'm no longer allowed to tag an image with a girl wearing an actual yukata with the yukata tag?
I've adjusted the tag descriptions to better reflect the purposes that we're using them for.

Kimono = FULL LENGTH kimono attire
Yukata = SHORT kimono attire.

It's that simple.
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

So I have to be wrong because it's easier?

Yay.
Ran

Post by Ran »

tsukiko wrote:So I have to be wrong because it's easier?
If that's the way you want to interpret it, then yes.
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

It's not about being wrong, Tsukiko. I'm aware that Japanese attire has several differences and peculiarities, and that they all have names. But it's same for every fashion, you see. Just like we do not want to go into detail about the "goth" tag and create a "gothic lolita" tag, that could lead to so many other tags related to the fashion and thus have so many users complaining about it being misused, we just have two basic tags to cover up most of the attires. I'm aware it's not fair, nor it is right, but it's all for the sake of having a simple tagging system. After all, the system is supposed to make life easier, not more complicated. Understand?

If you insist, I'll bring anony's attention to this thread and you can discuss this directly with him, alright?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

I've been watching the discussion =P
While it may not be 100% accurate, I think the current kimono and yukata tags are acceptable. Not everyone has in-depth knowledge of Japanese clothes and is able to distinguish one from another. So, in order to make the tags usable for the majority of the users, they are simplified. I mean, I didn't even know what this 'waloli' thing was until I did some searching.
There might be a way we can do some tag parent/child relationships to make it more accurate, but as it stands, it's ok.
e-shuushuu!
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

Hmm, then at the very least, do you think that perhaps we could add a note stating that the tag is inaccurate? As you said, not everyone has indepth knowledge ( heck! I know people who say that Chinese dresses are kimono @_@ ) And if someone sees the description saying that a yukata is a short kimono, they may actually believe so.

Because that's what I'm worried about. That someone who's new to anime, or Japanese culture may come to the site, read the tag, and then base their knowledge off of that.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

This last page makes me lol to no end. *facepalms*
Reon

Post by Reon »

hmm... What about sakura petals? or flower petals? since we have some
images with petals in them. or is that considered as flower already?
If your kindness is uncertain then I don't need it
signature by my friend Mika ^^ do not take~
feel free to add me in my blogs.twitterlivejournal