How about an Artist Database?

Have a good idea? Let us know
Quenlin

How about an Artist Database?

Post by Quenlin »

We have a very extensive catalog of images, but if we have artist databases, it could drive traffic to them, and give us information on them, for example...

Alias: None
Age/dob/zodiac/everything else:
Site: Penzen; <site link> (contains a little NSFW)

Artists Images
Alright, I fail at explaining, but it would be a pretty good idea.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

I've thought about doing something like this for a long time though I've never launched anything. The main idea I came up with was to create a wiki around shuushuu and the anime/manga art industry. Included in this wiki would be artist bios, info, list of works, links, etc.
I decided to try to put at least something together and installed Mediawiki and created a experimental Shuushuu wiki at http://e-shuushuu.net/wiki

I am by no means a Mediawiki expert, or expert of any wiki software, so if some one wants to jump on board to maybe make some templates, categories, etc, that would be great. If this wiki attracts peoples' interest, I will work to integrate it into the main site.
e-shuushuu!
Gardenia

Post by Gardenia »

Sounds awesome!
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Post by Evangeline Mcdowell »

File uploads are disabled in the wiki >_<
anonymous_object
Site Admin

I enabled file uploads.
BTW, you're amazing Evangeline ^_^
You made some nice templates and started putting data in <3 <3 <3
I tried making some templates but I didn't get very far. Now, as for more data, I could create a list of artists/works from the shuushuu database and create new artist pages for them. Or maybe just put them as a big list in a single wiki page so we can tell which ones still need actual pages (by the link color).
I am definitely open for ideas on how to make this wiki useful to members :)

P.S. Happy Birthday!
e-shuushuu!
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

ã
anonymous_object
Site Admin

I need to sit down for an hour or so and read all the documentation on formatting and templates in Mediawiki. I know templates can use conditionals to only display data if a variable is set. I am looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... fobox_Song as an example and want to copy some of that functionality. I have a couple exams this week but hopefully I will be able to work on this soon. Thanks again for your initiative with the categories and pages, Eva :D
e-shuushuu!
Merun

Post by Merun »

I started adding some artist. I hope I'm not disturbing anything in the mean time ^^
Merun @ Twitter
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Ahh, please try to keep artists' works in alphabetical order Merun-run-pie-chama!

Actually, that goes for pretty much most of the lists.
Merun

Post by Merun »

ah I see, maybe it should be written in the information of the template ^^

gomen gomen, I will be careful next time
Merun @ Twitter
Merun

Post by Merun »

*bump*

Maybe we could add a studio list since people mix them with artist. Also I noticed that we have some little problem with uniformity, on the "circle" field, sometimes we add a *, sometimes no. ( little detail but I can't stop noticing ). For now I just added for every artist with a circle.
Merun @ Twitter
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

I intended the publisher field for that (in the works template). If you mean to create another category, I suppose that's okay too.

Also, what is our policy on cover art on the wiki. A lot of doujin covers (and even commercial magazines) are NSFW. The interim solution I had was to limit image width in the work profile to 100px so it doesn't stand out too much.

p.s. I'll start making a point to add a bullet to the circle field for the sake of uniformity then.
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Image ID: 80961 [Bookmark]
Submitted by: sakaki-chan
Submitted: Sun. Dec. 2 2007, 10:35 pm
Filename: 2007-12-02-80961.jpg
Original Filename: 1196211801231.jpg
File size: 205.5 kB
Dimensions: 1063x1497 (1.591 MPixel)
Times Viewed: 2
Tags: "happy" "twin tails" "red hair"
Characters: Playstation-tan
Artist: Noizi Ito / Noiji Itoh / Zatsuon Ito
Image Rating: N/A
lol, the results of the wiki are starting to show XD
Merun

Post by Merun »

No.. it's me tagging the image xD I must be one of the few people adding Zatsuon Ito to the pic ^^"

And for the studio, well, maybe a category, but I don't know what we can put on the template.
Merun @ Twitter
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Maybe with the wiki being filled over time anony could implement tagtype pre-defined elements for the source and artist field?
While you would still be able to freely type a yet undefined source or artist, you could also choose from tags like "Noizi Ito" (searches could then incorporate all images defined either as Noizi Ito, Noiji Itoh or Zatsuon Ito).