Possible change to rating system

Have a good idea? Let us know
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Possible change to rating system

Post by anonymous_object »

In response to some suggestions in this rating change thread and from my personal experience using the rating system, I am considering changing the rating system from a 1-10 scale to a 1-7 one.
While I do believe a 1-5 scale is a bit too limiting, 1-10 presents too many options and can create discreptancies among ratings between users and may cause individual users to be inconsistent with their own ratings.
I am proposing changing to a 1-7 scale with the following options:

1: Worst
2: Pretty bad
3: Slightly bad
4: Medium
5: Pretty good
6: Quite good
7: Perfect

I think this will help users rate images consistently and accurately. By having a definition for each rating level, it will be easier to quickly choose a rating using a standard everyone will be seeing.

The only problem with this is the 1-10 ratings will have to be converted to the 1-7 and will not scale perfectly to whole numbers. For example, if you previously rating an image 1 (you really hated it), the new rating would be 0.7 which is not a rating you can really give with the drop down list. I can either round each rating to the next whole number (0.7 to 1 in this case) or just leave them as whatever they come out to be (0.7).

Thoughts?
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Sounds like a good idea anony.
Although as you say it does seem that converting the current ratings will either provide hard to use results or you'll have to round them off. The rating system isn't that critical really so I do guess that rounding them off isn't such a bad thing.
shawurai

Post by shawurai »

It does sound like a good idea.

On a side note: I've made sure I never rated an image I posted. There's no sense in doing so since it is obvious to me that if I post it it means it is in my collection and I already like it.

I don't know if it has ever been considered an option to block users from voting on an image they uploaded...?
I shall speak neither hurtful nor harsh word, but shall speak respectfully, even of my enemies, for temperate words may turn aside anger.
Ran

Post by Ran »

To be completely honest, I'm pretty happy with the 1-10 scale. It's a common scale of measurement as far as ratings are concerned and I haven't had or seen any real problems with it.