Online Manga Viewing sites being shut down

Other misc discussion
Merun

Re: Online Manga Viewing sites being shut down

Post by Merun »

Well importing manga is kinda expensive, but for countries without much translation, it's one of the solution.

Now it's not really surprising that 2ch is trolling xD

Anyway, it's not like closing it will affect. If Mangafox is really hosted in China, then it's nearly impossible for them to apply copyright laws there. And of course, scanlation didn't wait for OneManga; it will indeed go back to the underground scene on IRC if there isn't a new website.

Then what I'm most interested in is; will manga sell better in the US after that? Personally, I don't think that it will ^^; They should adopt the concept of e-books and publish manga online, with lower price than paper version. Problem is by economy of scale, the printing itself is peanuts; I guess that the license and the translation is what cost the most in a manga. But they could compete against scanlator if they are cheaper and can publish chapter by chapter as fast as Japan.
Merun @ Twitter
AriaHime

Post by AriaHime »

Merun wrote:They should adopt the concept of e-books and publish manga online, with lower price than paper version.
Well, there's this, coming this fall to France and North America. It seems like it's more like current e-books you can buy than a manga Crunchyroll, and I don't know if they're still going to release the titles they're selling online.
How the hell does a broken heart
get back together when it's torn apart?
Teach itself to start
Beating again...
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

In France?!?! Merun! Clean up your room, I'm moving in!
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

I think the question here is the fact that they think that they'll get more sales this way, don't know how. I like to own series that I enjoy the most, but each volume is extremely expensive. If they actually lowered the price, they'd get more customers.

Not saying everyone would follow that, there's always people who only stick with the free illegal stuff. 2ch never fails to amuse me. I would like to know if any of those people actually never downloaded something illegal. But then again, 2ch is 2ch.

The thing is, this was bound to happen. With all these news of publishers getting serious with going after scanlators.
zettai akiramenai dare ni mo ubaenai yume ga aru. ♥ ~
Merun

Post by Merun »

I have no room, I'm a freeloader right now.
Merun @ Twitter
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Merun wrote:I have no room, I'm a freeloader right now.
Uso da! D:<
At-chan! You're from the USA! Clean up your room, I'm moving in!
Andell

Post by Andell »

I'm wondering if North America includes Canada. It's usually the case, so I guess I'll see what I can get if I have to.

Until then... *buying favorite series*
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

Tensa wrote:At-chan! You're from the USA! Clean up your room, I'm moving in!
Haiiii!
私は悪魔です。
Rikenta

Post by Rikenta »

I went looking around for manga earlier this week. I found a good place to buy some at a decent price, along with anime. Yay!
demon lord ghirahim
BoomBoomCha

Post by BoomBoomCha »

I've spent the past half hour reading forums, comments, and such about this. My favorite was this; http://manga.about.com/b/2010/07/22/man ... -month.htm

I'm not entirly surprised by this happening but I do feel like crying over it. I live in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming of the USA. We have one store that sells manga and their idea of manga is 3 copies of the early Naruto, Full Moon volume one, and then the graphic novel of Twilight. I used OneManga for all my manga reading to find out about alot of the series/mangas mentioned here. Now I'm screwed.

The sad thing is, it seems the publishers that have done this expect all 40,000 viewers outside of Japan for a small-time japanese manga to purchase it for alot of money.

I'm broke, I don't get paid at work since Im a training tattoo artist(You don't get paid to learn to poke people with needles.) thats in high school. This has ruined my day. D: Most likely for the next few days as well.
LilFlow

Post by LilFlow »

Turns out that since this was all starting MangaFox and AnimeA have done a sweep over their series now.
Practically all manga that has been liscenced in the States is now being taken down, and while this means that yes, they are available for sale, I'm still angry!

Gah! It's almost impossible to get to the best manga supplier around where I live!
(It's in the middle of London...)
Oh well. I guess I'll just have to make do with when I go to MCM and Amazon.co.uk >.>
Seriously though, this is really starting to hit hard.
I hope they don't target BakaMangaUpdates as well, then I'd never know when anything is coming out =/
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

They don't host things, so they should be okay?
私は悪魔です。
NekoKero

Post by NekoKero »

I live on a military base in the US and its surrounded by 3 neighboring cities which are so close together that I cant even tell when Im crossing into the next one XI but theres like a Barnes & Nobles bookstore (not in a mall like an actual building one) about 10 mins away and theres a Borders (is in the mall) and like 4 Walmarts (atleast one in each city) the closest being like 3 minutes and even though they dont have the greatest (completely stressed as if youve seen the amount of manga they have in Walmart it almost wouldnt be worth walking to look to see what they have) selection but they always have Bleach if thats what you want, I just find it a problem that it takes 2 hours of work at minimum wage to buy one volume of my favorite shoujo IX<

I didnt even know manga viewing sites were being shut down (i am extremely ignorant) as im extremely ignorant (sometimes...) and normally dont hang out in forums to learn such stuff as after I say something no one normally posts after (even on super popular ones) and then I get depressed cause I dont think people really like me...but I just kept reading on sites and didnt really think that the really big ones like OM and Mangafox could be taken down or starting a decline (sorta like Toyota but thats still not as great as a decline as OM sounds like its going to be going through) almost like Google and Youtube on a smaller scale cause theyre just so big that its hard to imagine being without them and you dont really expect people to all of a sudden start copyright issues with all the movies and anime on Youtube (which, not all the anime could be copyrighted anyway since if you actually bought the anime and was able to convert it to an uploadable form (in case of dvds cause theyre in super weird formats) and hadnt edited it or such then it wouldnt be violating copyright law unless the site let you download the video or you have a special something that allows you to download videos from websites that normally wont let you (im guilty -_-')) its really picky but if you got them in english first and didnt have to translate them and all this other stuff like not being able to save them then it actually would be possible to keep them on such sites without violating the laws no matter how stingy they get (i learned alot about copyright in engineering classes...)

and its not that they start taking them away expecting to get more money cause more people will have to buy the actual volumes, its just more of a loss in money and theft (there was alot better word for it but I cant remember it and theft atleast somewhat describes part of the idea) when you create something and and sign it and everything then its proof of what youve done and you generally have the right to decide the royalties and distribution of it (but publishing companies normally handle the royalties if its like a manga that gets published) so not having permission and/or having it in such a state that it could be taken from you and distributed again without the people taking it from you actually purchasing the material is what really makes them so forceful and upset about it (cause then someone else is likely to take it from them and it just repeats and few of those people actually will buy it after)
LilFlow

Post by LilFlow »

Yatchen wrote:They don't host things, so they should be okay?
It's not just them being shut down that I'm worried about.
It's the fact that they have the names of practically every scanlator and scanlation site.
It's a minefield out there!