Do you know how much you spend on your loot?

Other misc discussion
shawurai

Do you know how much you spend on your loot?

Post by shawurai »

2010 will end in a less than 5 hours (well at least here in Belgium).

I've been asking myself a question. Do people actually keep track of how much money they actually spend on anime, manga and other good in 1 year? A lot of poeple pobably have a budjet they try to keep each month this, others might just ask and get the money from their parents (well I'm guessing there probably aren't that many with that kind of luck). There are also those that use there money they worked for on their hobby (i'm one of those in case you're wondering).

Since 2004 I've kept track of everything I've bought related to anime, manga and various other related goods. At the end of every year I make a detailed calculation of how much of my money was spend and compair that to previous years.

Result? Well, honestly there are years that I'm shocked when I see the numbers. It gets worse every year. I still remeber cleary telling myself when 2010 started that I would calm down a bit and spend less money on things that I like or so I hoped. Didn't work out too well.

So. Do other people keep track of what they bought and how much they spend on thing?? Do other people care about how much they spend??
I shall speak neither hurtful nor harsh word, but shall speak respectfully, even of my enemies, for temperate words may turn aside anger.
Andell

Re: Do you know how much you spend on your loot?

Post by Andell »

First of all, have an happy new year ! ^^

I don't personally keep track of how much these goods cost me, but I can say it's between 200 to 800 $ a year.

While I do care about the amount, I'm not one to buy on impulse, and I keep track of my money, so how I spend money is not problematic at all to me.
shawurai

Post by shawurai »

Happy New Year to you as well.

I guess I do sometimes by stuff without thinking for too long over the price. If it is something I really want I usually end up buying it. The past year was really hard on my wallet but the biggest part of what I've spend went to C77 back in January 2010. I've also bought a larger number of DVDs to complete my collection that had several missing volumes for a long time.

I think I'll buy less DVDs in 2011 as the licenses announced up to April have nothing I really want. Same for manga. Just 3 new series I'm interested in, but since those are still ongoing in Japan there shouldn't be to many volumes releases of those in 2011 here.

Most of the local manga and DVDs I buy really depend on the licenses (as it is probably the case for everyone else). Less local items will be bought since fewer good licenses have been announced for the coming 4 months. Now I'm not expecting big changes there for the rest of 2011 as the actually product never gets released that quickly. After the license has been announced it can take several months up to 6 months and longer in some cases.

My biggest problem is Yahoo Auctions Japan. I've bought stuff from there for over 2 years now and I know it takes up more of my money every single time as it makes the acces to exclusive (and highly priced) goods from events as Comik Market extreamly easy. Like I mentioned previously C77 was really hard on my wallet in 2010. If I'm just counting the goods from auctions and nothing extra (like fees from third party, domestic shipping, international shipping and custom charges) I've had for 130436 Yen woth of C77 goods.

I'm telling you Yahoo Auctions Japan will kill your wallet. Mine is already half dead so take care when venturing on that site.
I shall speak neither hurtful nor harsh word, but shall speak respectfully, even of my enemies, for temperate words may turn aside anger.
Merun

Post by Merun »

I can testify about Yahoo Auction's evil deed as well. Well, last year, I have spent certainly less. First, only 2 artbooks shipment (around 150$ each ), and spent half less on Comiket ( around 300-400$ for C78 ). I have been traveling and had a dead computer to take care of as well, new colleges, new home.

C79 damage is around 8607yen for now. I have been cutting doujinshi cost with Toranoana which is a lot cheaper than auction. Also, for my artbook need, I will certainly switch now to bk1 because of cost, another problem for me is shipping. EMS is a pain to get a delivery at my home. Amazon use Fedex so it's a pain, I'm sure to pay custom. Both while fast are expensive and annoying for me, especially when custom take my package to let it stuck 4 days at their office, so I prefer SAL, cheaper, and less annoying for me to get.

So, since it's still C79 buying time, I think this time I will just get 3 doujinshi off from it, maybe a little bit more if I don't get stuff on Toranoana.
Merun @ Twitter