Unusual romanizations and my thoughts on them

Other misc discussion
DoomTay

Unusual romanizations and my thoughts on them

Post by DoomTay »

I've noticed a few cases where I notice names like Cirno (チルノ) and Kyuubey/Kyuubei (キュゥべえ), and I noticed that they're supposed to be something different.

For example, if it were in my power, I would have romanized the latter name as something along the line of "Cubay", which is more...English-sounding (I so need to phrase that better so people won't accuse me of wanting to destroy any trace of Japanese language and culture in anime), and moreover, better reflects what it's short for.

On the other hand, I predict that I'd get backlash for being "unfaithful", especially if this was for something more official, even though "Kyuubey/Kyuubei", in a way, is/are not-so-official as far as I know. Heck, the way I see it, until there are English-language PMMM material, the only "spelling" of his name would be キュゥべえ

So what do you think about the idea of backlash for proposing romanizations that simply differ from what is more commonly used?

Oh, just so we're clear, Shuu has nothing to do with this. It's other sources in general.
Julia

Re: Unusual romanizations and my thoughts on them

Post by Julia »

What would you propose instead of Cirno? Chiruno? Chillno? At this point the name "Cirno" is pretty firmly entrenched.

I kind of have a similar thing about some names in Gurren Lagann, but this isn't about romanizations but about pronounciations in the dub... they say "Simone" instead of "Simon", which makes his name sound like a girl >_<
I guess it's maybe because the katakana is シモン (Shimon) instead of サイモン (Saimon), but still, the copy on the DVD box set says "Simon" so why do the English voice actors say "Simone"?
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Tensa

Re: Unusual romanizations and my thoughts on them

Post by Tensa »

Cirno? Ask ZUN and/or the entire Japanese population. That's how it is and that's how it'll always be :P
Kyuubee/Kyuubey ... I have a problem with that as well, but it's original meaning's kata is pretty clearly giving "bee". inkyubeeta (<- spoiler - highlight)

But why bother with this stuff? Go with whatever most go with.

But why would our opinion matter if it's not Shuu related? o.o