[Shuu Survey] Dubs or subs?

Other misc discussion

How do you prefer to watch anime (or other foreign-language media)?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:35 am

I will only watch it in original language audio with subtitles
40%
I will only watch it dubbed
No votes
Prefer dubs but will watch subs
15%
Prefer subs but will watch dubs
20%
I don't really care whether it's dubbed or subbed
20%
No translation please! I know enough of the language to understand it
5%
I don't watch any foreign shows
No votes

Total votes: 20

Julia

[Shuu Survey] Dubs or subs?

Post by Julia »

Somewhat related to the previous survey: do you prefer subs or dubs? Discuss here.

Got an idea for a future Shuu Survey? PM me :)
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Sasayaki

Re: [Shuu Survey] Dubs or subs?

Post by Sasayaki »

Subs.
English subs.

The Bulgarian dub of the animes is even more awful than the English ones.
Its... you should like go and kill them with fire.

As for some bulgarian subs;
they are translating only the script so its funny and stupid some times...
  • Angel or demon
    I gave up my soul
    I'm guilty of treason
    I've abandoned control
tw
Lyrical Magical tw-chan

Post by tw »

Original language, subtitles optional. Parody dubs too.
Isoroku22

Post by Isoroku22 »

Original language with subs, preferably english. Barely watching any anime with native language subs lol. I still haven't watch few titles on my watch list because the only version of them I could find was dub versions. ;w;
Crimson_Camelia

Post by Crimson_Camelia »

Mostly subtitles. English or Polish preferable.
I watch dubbed versions of animes mostly of those shows that I saw already and just want to know how they made with dubbing.
Hopeful_Encounter

Post by Hopeful_Encounter »

I don't really care, I will watch dubs (English) and animes with subtitles (again, English).
However, I sometimes do prefer dubs just so I can focus more on the animation than trying to read the text. Some dubs I think are actually very good though, like Chobits and Fullmetal Alchemist.
I'm gonna be the one that saves you.
Julia

Post by Julia »

I do prefer to watch subs because different show's dubs vary in quality from "as good as the original seiyuus" to "that's a bit annoying" to "painfully bad", but sometimes there is no choice (for example, anime on Netflix Instant Watch is dub-only, and some movies in theaters are only shown dubbed) so I have learned to be flexible.
Crimson_Camelia wrote:I watch dubbed versions of animes mostly of those shows that I saw already and just want to know how they made with dubbing.
Yeah, it's interesting to compare the two sometimes. I just bought the box set of Kuragehime/Princess Jellyfish and I'm really looking forward to finding out how they handled the "ore/olé" jokes. I remember comparing the Japanese dialogue and the dub on the DVD version of Hare+Guu (this was a few years back, when I was mainly learning Japanese from comparing subs to dialogue) and there is a part where Guu says "マザコン" and the dub says "You have an Oedipus complex!". It takes some effort to fit an eight-syllable sentence into the space of a four-syllable word!

I also agree with Hopey that some dubs are really good. I haven't seen the Chobits anime but both FMA's dub were good. In the last episode of the first FMA there is a somewhat infamous part where a character was dubbed as saying "I love you" when it wasn't explicitly stated in the Japanese dialogue, which was just "Watashi..." or something. However, I think there is enough context/subtext to show that she had a major crush even without her saying it outright, so I'm not pissed off about the added words. My brother complained that Al sounded "like a girl" in the dub of Brotherhood, but I honestly don't agree. Even though I know that they had a girl voice him this time around, he doesn't sound girly to me.

But maybe he just has a better ear for voices than me: when we were watching TTGL dub together (he has bad eyesight, so he can't really read subtitles) he was the one who realized Nia's voice was the same person who voiced Starfire, even though I'm as big a fan of Teen Titans as he is.

Speaking of dubs and subs, anybody know of any video games that give you an option to play them with dubs or subs for character dialogue? The only one I know is Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell but I really liked the option.

Wow this turned into a long post.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Merun

Post by Merun »

Pretty much any modern game published by NIS America support dual audio except portable one. Atlus is making their first exception with P4: Arena which includes Japanese... The last Tri Ace game also had dual audio, that is, Resonance of Fate. Xenoblade is also a rare case of dual audio and that's it as far as I can remember.
Merun @ Twitter
demon_turtle1028

Post by demon_turtle1028 »

I like watching dubbed anime because I can understand what they're saying instead of reading the subtitles. I do watch subbed, too, because a lot of new animes come out and I want to watch them before they get released in NA. Its a interesting way to learn Japanese by recongnizing the words and what they mean.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally." - Izaya
cosmictails

Post by cosmictails »

It doesn't matter which one to consider, but I prefer watching both subbed or dubbed.
Deoxys

Post by Deoxys »

Subs only, except if it's in English, in which case I can understand it without much problem.
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Subs only. And only. I'd never download a dub.
Thou for VNs it's not the same. That is translations. But I'd still go with Jap. text and Jap. voice. I remember playing Tsuyokiss and understanding Yashi Nagomis route. In the sense that I kinda understood what they were saying. And if you're thinking "It's because of the anime." then I'll have to tell you that I have not seen the anime.
Gicchan

Post by Gicchan »

By default, I would go for subs. Because I think the Japanese voice actors put so much emotion in their acting, it just made the whole experience of watching the anime so much more enjoyable. I seem to have trouble figuring out what people say, especially if they have an accent, so I prefer subs.

(x) sometimes the night is dark and stormy,
sometimes the ghosts of what you had run their fingers down a spine.
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

I used to only ever really want to watch subs, but lately I have been choosing dubs more often so that I can draw while the show is playing. I can't do that if I have to read. ;_;

I preferred subs though because it's harder to tell that people are acting horribly when you can't understand their language, ahaha.
私は悪魔です。
Merun

Post by Merun »

Personally, VO with subs most of the time. But I can concede dubs in special case like watching something with friends / family, or also lack of subs and hard condition for listening, like I did recently during my flight.
Merun @ Twitter