How is Your Day Going? Wrath of the Smecchi's

Other misc discussion
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Kagemaru wrote:Peb...kac?

*googles it*

LOL! I had no idea this kind of term existed! XD
And yes yes, that's indeed true. Oh well, I like doing that kind of a job, so it's perfect for me. ^__^
Oh yes, we've got all kinds of special terminology, pictures (mostly cat and/or fire related), and in-jokes. We'll reveal more once you're officially welcomed into our ranks and pay your dues. XD
Kagemaru wrote:Edit: Thanks wrex! Honestly, after reading all this, I'm kinda scared to get the job. ^_^;
Oh, it'll be worth it. I went from retail to help desk (not that much of a difference from your situation, I'd imagine), and while I sometimes question why some of the older, technology-impaired users haven't retired yet, it's still worth it. ^^
kawaii-star

Post by kawaii-star »

Is everyone working with something similar to a IT help desk around here?
I'm somewhat doing the same thing but at one of my school's several IT help desks on campus. It's much better working directly with students as the problems are right in front of me (their computers) instead of over phone calls where you can't really tell whats wrong and only hear their annoying complaints when they don't understand you and your tech savvy terminology.
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

My job is kind of a hybrid.. my help desk is actually located within our office, and we support around 400 people in the building (thus have some face-to-face interaction), but we also have offices all around the world and also support people outside of our own company, so we've got thousand of people who don't have any more interaction with us than call or e-mail as well.

I think I prefer the more "distant" interaction with more users (either phone or e-mail), but that's probably because I'm just not a very social person. XD
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

I used to work at a dial-up/DSL helpdesk. I hated that job and the companies I was doing support for were AWFUL. It was more a surprise when certain regions of their network were actually working than when not. And to top it of the pay was barely above what the local HEB was paying grocery baggers.

Much, much happier with my current job. I just want them to give me more hours/work to do.
canis

Post by canis »

To contribute to the ongoing discussion: Next winter when I start studying Japanese on our local university I might also start working as a help desk person part time. It's a part time job offered by the university for students only to earn some money and a friend who once did it thinks my pc knowledge is well enough for that job, yay. ^^
(Though I fear she meant to say that my pc skills are average but that the students have the most stupid questions that anyone could solve. XD)

After a long and stressing week with only 4 hours of sleep each night I fell on my bed yesterday at 6 pm, fell asleep pretty quick and now it's the next day 5 am. Lol I have never been that awake at 5 am on a Saturday! XD
Too bad that my Friday is kinda gone but it was worth it, I start to feel like a human being again. O_O
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

canis wrote:students have the most stupid questions that anyone could solve. XD)
That... probably is the case. ^^; I have a friend who does college help desk, and he's said about 99% of his job is running Spybot detection/eradication software and an antivirus program.

canis wrote:After a long and stressing week with only 4 hours of sleep each night I fell on my bed yesterday at 6 pm, fell asleep pretty quick and now it's the next day 5 am. Lol I have never been that awake at 5 am on a Saturday! XD
Too bad that my Friday is kinda gone but it was worth it, I start to feel like a human being again. O_O
Ooooo, I've had those nights too! They are heavenly every once in a while. ^___^
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Well seeing as everything with computers from hardware, software to networking evolves at a relatively high pace, it's not as much your static knowledge that counts, but really your willingness to learn, being interested and motivated. (And for support positions, your ability and affinity to communicate with people.)

Currently I'm working at the helpdesk of an automotive manufacturer that covers the entire country, the local main office and all locations (still as an external consultant but they've expressed interest in hiring me into their company). It's only a small team in this country so we nearly do everything ourselves which makes it very versatile and interesting. From handling first line inbound calls and mails to second line work on the hardware (including the servers, network), software installation, troubleshooting, to some third line tasks of testing software.

Just had a major project completed that involved working with colleagues in other countries but that could also mean more interesing work will move back to the country of origin. There's a few other big changes planned the next few months and I'm not sure yet how they'll impact my work.
Their plans for me, and my goals to evolve (be it there or at another company) is to fully immerse into second line support, development or team management. So I hope that turns out positive.

And as for support over the phone, we have software to take over their computers remotely, a big lifesaver.
If on Windows and you don't have Netmeeting or such enabled, check out www.teamviewer.com, it's a nice, free tool for remote takeover that I've used privately as well.
boele

Post by boele »

lately working alot..
not the change to do alot done ><..

but i saw the weirdest thing on tv yesterday..
a short show about japanse guys who have relationships with anime-styled and normal live-sized dolls..
god.. that was creepy to see
canis

Post by canis »

I might flunk french... This is bad cause of all the subjects I have this is the only one they don't allow you to fail to graduate. T_T

It's so ironic: The only subject that you have to pass is the only subject I'm going to flunk! >_<

A whole year of hard work would be in vain. T_T Hope I can still save my french grade somehow... but it's hard to do so if we write 6 dictations a year compared to only 4 grammar ones. I'm good in grammer... or at least good enough for someone who entered an advanced french class with no real basic knowledge cause I visited a different school then my classmates. But dictations are the only thing that I can't teach to myself, so no matter how many hours I train vocabs or grammar, I still can't understand that frigging language where nothing is pronounced like it's spelled. It's so sad... T_T
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Hang in there canis, I'm sure you'll be able to make it!
canis

Post by canis »

Thanks. ^^

I made that post right after school where we had just written the second last french test for this year and I know I blew it. >_> But now I calmed down abit and even if I will never get a good grade in french I try my best to at least do good in that last test and also ask the teacher if I can do some extra stuff to get good grades, like writing extra essays or doing a small presentation (lol, with my bad pronunciation this would be a funny experience for the class...).
It's not over before it's over! >_< If you don't fight you loose! >_<

Je vais... make it! ^^'
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Horrible day at work today, they tried to shove something onto me that I do not want to do and refuse to do. If they stick to wanting to dump it on me, they can find someone else for it!

Makes me feel like I'm at my previous employer/company all over again... do I have a sign attached to me that says "Abuse me?"
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Smithy wrote:do I have a sign attached to me that says "Abuse me?"
Yes, but that's a pleasure sign, not a business one. Are you forgetting to take it off when you go into the office?
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

wrexness wrote:Yes, but that's a pleasure sign, not a business one. Are you forgetting to take it off when you go into the office?
Oh noes! I forgot or the many maidens in my harem pinned it back on when I went out the door, those naughty vixens...
Ararara-ra

Post by Ararara-ra »

First of all, good evening and good night~

I just returned from Korea, will be posting some pictures soon.

The best part was when I had some free time and I could go shop for some Figurines ~_~ Wasn't able to buy much due to the lack of funds :( but I fished a used copy of Persona 3 FES for 28 000 won.. I believe around 30 dollars or maybe a little less.

Anyways, I will post a more detailed report on Shuushuu once I recover from this jetlag.. har har.. ~_~
My little 4koma paradise
Current status: Hiatus! AGAIN!

My tweeter