Something I've always wondered...

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
Post Reply
User avatar
Hiko
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:45 am
Location: Earth

Something I've always wondered...

Post by Hiko » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:17 pm

Ok, this may seem kinda dumb of me but...

Every once in awhile I'll see someone over at the image board post a link to a "textless version" of a picture. But the thing is...the image always has text on it! Is it just me, or does anyone else think that "textless" should mean, "without text?" Whats the deal?

User avatar
anonymous_object
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:04 pm
Location: Good old US of A
Contact:

Post by anonymous_object » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Hmmm, not sure. Do you have any examples?
e-shuushuu!
Image

User avatar
Hiko
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:45 am
Location: Earth

Post by Hiko » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 pm

Here ya go: http://e-shuushuu.net/image.php?mode=vi ... e_id=87237
The textless version of this picture has been disabled. But, I did see it before, and it did have text on the picture. So let me see if I can format my question a little better...
Why do people post a link to a picture (with text on it), and call it a "textless version," when it has text on it?

User avatar
wrexness
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Post by wrexness » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 pm

Without being able to see what dancu's thinking, I believe his use of "textless" actually means "textless version of:", but that's just a guess.

User avatar
Hiko
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:45 am
Location: Earth

Post by Hiko » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:27 pm

wrexness wrote:Without being able to see what dancu's thinking, I believe his use of "textless" actually means "textless version of:", but that's just a guess.
Right, textless...textless version of...they're both the same thing. I just want to know why they refer to it as a textless version of the picture, when it (the picture) obviously has text on it.

User avatar
wrexness
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Flyover Country

Post by wrexness » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 pm

Hiko wrote:
wrexness wrote:Without being able to see what dancu's thinking, I believe his use of "textless" actually means "textless version of:", but that's just a guess.
Right, textless...textless version of...they're both the same thing. I just want to know why they refer to it as a textless version of the picture, when it (the picture) obviously has text on it.
There's no need to get snippy at me because you're confused. I offered you a possible explanation. When you say/type the same thing over and over, occasionally you shorten things up and assume everyone knows what you're talking about. This could be such a situation considering how often we have newer/better versions of previously posted pictures put up. I didn't make the post so I can't say for certain, but taking a snarky and sarcastic tone with someone just trying to clear up some confusion isn't going to help.

User avatar
Fuwari
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:20 pm

Post by Fuwari » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 pm

I believe it is indeed a method of shorthand. Translation:

(The image that I am writing this post upon is the) textless (version of): http://e-shuushuu.net/image.php?mode=vi ... e_id=86732

Similarly, we say:

(The image that I am writing this post upon is a) repost (of): etc.

After all, it is not the first image that is a repost, but the current one.

User avatar
Hiko
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:45 am
Location: Earth

Post by Hiko » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:41 am

wrexness wrote:
Hiko wrote:
wrexness wrote:Without being able to see what dancu's thinking, I believe his use of "textless" actually means "textless version of:", but that's just a guess.
Right, textless...textless version of...they're both the same thing. I just want to know why they refer to it as a textless version of the picture, when it (the picture) obviously has text on it.
There's no need to get snippy at me because you're confused. I offered you a possible explanation. When you say/type the same thing over and over, occasionally you shorten things up and assume everyone knows what you're talking about. This could be such a situation considering how often we have newer/better versions of previously posted pictures put up. I didn't make the post so I can't say for certain, but taking a snarky and sarcastic tone with someone just trying to clear up some confusion isn't going to help.
No no...I wasn't trying to be snippy or sarcastic. I'm very sorry if I came across that way. And I also understand that I did kinda repeat myself, and that I was being redundant...uggh...I can never write out exactly what I'm trying to say...Anyway, I really do appreciate your help, and I hope you don't think any less of me because of my previous post! :)

User avatar
anonymous_object
Site Admin
Posts: 1583
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:04 pm
Location: Good old US of A
Contact:

Post by anonymous_object » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:31 am

While we're on this topic, many of these "textless" are lower quality or poorly done. In this case, it's pretty obvious. I disabled the textless and enabled the previous version.
e-shuushuu!
Image

User avatar
AngelLily
Posts: 2884
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:30 am
Location: Stern Bild
Contact:

Post by AngelLily » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:08 am

It's exactly as Fuwari says. In the example you posted, Dancu was indeed a bit unespecific, though we mods get what he meant, cause we're the ones who get to disable the image. But it's usually:

(This image is a) Textless version of: link. Example.

The same for reposts.

(This image is a) Repost (of): link.

And as anony said, some images were poorly detexted, and the text version sometimes is superior.
Image

Post Reply