Shuushuu Design Contest

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
A.Dantes

Shuushuu Design Contest

Post by A.Dantes »

This is a contest to see how much better, if at all, a design Shuushuu's users can produce. The grand prize will be to actually have your design implemented on E-Shuushuu, but be aware that the current design is also in the contest. Unless there is clear support for one of the new candidates, E-Shuushuu will remain as it always has been and there will be no grand prize winner.

When creating the designs, pretend that anything is possible and ignore technical limitations. I will inform you if any changes need to be made to your design to accommodate current browser limitations. I'll also be notifying you if the font and backgrounds lack sufficient contrast. As everyone should know already, anonymous_object holds veto power over any entries.

Entries should consist of two images:
  • A mockup of a page when viewing an image. Include at least one or two posts with the design. Also, remember to include an area to display the IP address of the post (Only moderators see this, but it is needed) and whether or not the post has been edited.
  • A mockup of a page in thumbnail layout. Include around six images as a minimum.
Entries should be flat images easily viewable in a browser. However, you will want to keep a copy in the native format of whatever tool you used for editing. I will want those if I am to implement the design.

You may want to take into consideration the following:
  • 1024x768 monitors are still pretty much the norm. After you take into account the scrollbar, there is only about 995px to work with.
  • The banner area currently in use is 980px by 200px
  • Thumbnails are a maximum of 250 by 200
  • Anything smaller than 12pt Arial is probably too small
As an example, I will start off with my own entry:
Image Image

If you wish to participate but dread the idea of trying to do this in paint and do not have access to other software, I recommend the use of InkScape, an open-source vector editing program for Windows and Linus and also what I used to make my entry. ( Note that .46 has some weird bugs relating to fonts on windows. You may want to revert back to .45 )
Lio Tsuki

Re: Shuushuu Design Contest

Post by Lio Tsuki »

Very cool idea for for a new design contest. The design you made is pretty! I like it. Though I can't join the contest, I love admiring the work of people who make site designs. ^^d
Little Miss Morbid
sig by Sekai <3
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

Wow, looks nice. Might give a shot at it ^^;;
Will you allow user customized skins sometime in the future? :P
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

solwyvern wrote:Wow, looks nice. Might give a shot at it ^^;;
Will you allow user customized skins sometime in the future? :P
Unless its just minor spacing or a color swap, odds are there would be some requirement to change the markup to accommodate. This website does not use templates for rendering and, even if it did, updating all of them for each change would be time consuming. Read this as not happening unless we have several good designs and a strong support for it. It won't appear just because I was bored and thought it would be nice to program.

If you're not talking about multiple skins and style switching, you'll need to be more specific and may want to ignore this post.
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

Just to throw out another design:
Image Image
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

With the complete lack of entries from persons other than me, this idea is pretty much a flop. A new design is being worked on on the testing site and I encourage everyone to look at it and give feedback. Large sections of it are still under debate for exactly how it should look.
Sekai

Post by Sekai »

Uffi, I'd love to contribute to the new design of the site as well, but I don't have any program here and it's not like I'm a genius in this matter :roll:
Anyway, A.Dantes you did an excellent job!
But if I wore to choose, I'd choose the first one. I think it's more elegant and it looks better ^^

I hope that other users will post some entries too ^_^
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

For reference, the design as it currently stands:
Image Image
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

haha, I tried making one, but as I was, I realized it's quite difficult to beat the current design we've come to know and love. You would really have to put extra more effort to surpass the nice blue theme we already have.

plus, designing it in photoshop felt quite off. It would probably easier to design in code. ><;