Machine Translation fail

Other misc discussion
Julia

Machine Translation fail

Post by Julia »

Since I've found so many of these, I thought it would be good to start a new thread for them separate from the LOL thread.
Julia wrote:Google translate fail: 18禁 means "restricted to those 18 and over", of course. Although many torrent files are adults only, this is still a super-wrong translation. >_<

Okay I got curious and checked their translations for other words and here's another totally wrong translation.
I can imagine this getting someone in trouble: "But officer, those are 'rorikon' mangas! The Google said those are legal!"
hinikuya wrote:Seen on Google+.

(The original Japanese is 同人作家 - doujin sakka - doujin creator).
Julia wrote:Image
So, "Tengen Toppa" means either "Lagann" or "Tengen Toppa Gurren". *facepalm* Of course I rated this translation "Not helpful".
Julia wrote:Similar to the "Tengen Toppa" = "Lagann" one I posted before, here's another "partial anime title is translated to a different part of the anime title".
Correct translation here is "I have problems with particles." I think this error comes from how the kanji 助詞 are read the same way as 女子, meaning girl/girls, but I don't understand why it thinks 助詞 means 女子.

And as you can see here, there are translation fails even in languages besides Japanese:
(correct translation is eight HUNDRED)
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
hinikuya

Re: Machine Translation fail

Post by hinikuya »

Found a Japanese site with a lot of Google Translate fail.

For those of you unable to read them, here are a few of the funniest ones, in my opinion:

We played baseball.

[Correct answer] 私たちは野球をしました。
[Google answer] 私たちの野球です。
[Translated back] This is our baseball. (note: not the ball, the actual game)
[Japanese comment] This is our baseball!

I forgot to call her last night.

[Correct answer] 私は、昨夜彼女に電話をするのを忘れました。
[Google answer] パスワードを忘れて彼女の最後の夜をコールします。
[Translated back] Having forgotten the password, I called her on her final night.
[Japanese comment] Her final night...

She doesn't know how to play golf.

[Correct answer] 彼女はゴルフをする方法を知りません
[Google answer] 彼女はゴルフをする方法を知っています
[Translated back] She does know how to play golf. (note: the bold word in the first sentence says, "doesn't know", and the large word in the second says, "does know")
[Japanese comment] She's insisting she knows.

The dictionary on the desk is mine.

[Correct answer] 机の上の辞書は私のです。
[Google answer] 辞書を机の上には、鉱山です。
[Translated back] Above the dictionary of the top of the desk is a mine (ore).
[Japanese comment] It looks like there is a mine on top of the desk.

Lucy has no friends to play with.

[Correct answer] ルーシーには、遊ぶ友人がいません。
[Google answer] ルーシーはない友人と遊ぶ。
[Translated back] Lucy plays with a non(-existant) friend.
[Japanese comment] This is a world of delusions.

We walked ten miles that day.

[Correct answer] 私たちは当日、10マイル歩きました。
[Google answer] 私たち一〇マイルその日に歩いた。
[Translated back] We, that day, walked one zero miles.
[Japanese comment] Pointless conversion into kanji.
時間は余るものではなく作るもの
Julia

Post by Julia »

I like the one that translates "Mary has a guitar." to "Mary is a guitar." It's funnier when it's something so simple! :D
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Julia

Post by Julia »

At first I was like "wtf is a bwana? :? " then I googled it and it's the Swahili word for "Master". Man, I didn't ask for Japanese -> Swahili translation!
bwana.PNG
bwana.PNG (8.47 KiB) Viewed 10768 times
Also it translates "ナイスボディ" (nice body) as "classy chassis".
Julia

Post by Julia »

I'm not even going to bother with images for each of these anymore.

"ぶっちゃけ" (bucchakke, speaking frankly and honestly) is translated as "only tea bukkake". I guess Google thinks it's an abbreviation of "ぶっかけで茶だけ" which would be a more correct translation of "bukkake using only tea". Either way, it conjures up a funny mental image. :)

Edit: even just "ぶっ" is translated as "bukkake" lol
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Julia, why u translating that kind of stuff anyway?
Julia

Post by Julia »

I just browsing reading game review sites and sometimes it gives me weird things like that, I'm like "What the heck is 'only tea bukkake', I'm pretty sure this sentence isn't about tea or bukkake." and I put each part of the sentence in the translator individually until I find the problem.
Quenlin

Post by Quenlin »

Julia wrote:I'm not even going to bother with images for each of these anymore.

"ぶっちゃけ" (bucchakke, speaking frankly and honestly) is translated as "only tea bukkake". I guess Google thinks it's an abbreviation of "ぶっかけで茶だけ" which would be a more correct translation of "bukkake using only tea". Either way, it conjures up a funny mental image. :)

Edit: even just "ぶっ" is translated as "bukkake" lol
"I SAY BARON! YOU HAVE A MAGNIFICENT SET OF TESTICLES, PLEASE BUCCHAKKE ME WITH EARL GREY!"

Also, Japanese is a bit literal on things, you need to know the literal sentence structure or else the translator breaks down and Engrish happens.
Disabled for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, inappropriate use of a bus. - Ran
Yeah, but she's cute, whereas the kids from Code LYOKO are a sniper's dream come true. -RdMarquis
Julia

Post by Julia »

Quenlin, you're hilarious!

冰 (ice) gets translated as "Bing". Usually the mistakes kind of make sense, but this one is totally out there.
hinikuya

Post by hinikuya »

Wow, Google. Just... wow.
時間は余るものではなく作るもの
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

Ero ero tiiiiime~ Ero ero tiiime~
私は悪魔です。
Julia

Post by Julia »

万円 (ten thousand yen) google translates to just "yen"
2万円 (twenty thousand yen) is translated to "$200", when it's actually more like 257 dollars.
Julia

Post by Julia »

"ちゅう" gets translated as "Tadashi". Uber fail.