Touhou Help

Console, PC, MMO games
oleo_sidhe

Touhou Help

Post by oleo_sidhe »

Okay. I need some help. I decided to try Touhou, and I can't get the dang thing to work. While I am marginally okay at computers, this is beyond my "click something and see if it works" expertise. So, some of this may sound ignorant, but believe me, I'm doing my best. I'll tell everthing I did, and how I understand it.

I found the Touhou site. Suprise, It's in Japanese. Babel fish to the rescue! I get an idea of how the site is set up, and find my way to the game page. All the way at the bottom is "The embodiment of the scarlet devil." I download the demo. It is a ".lzh" file. I try running it. Windows asks, "Do You want to open or save this file?" I say, "Open!" in a cool, manly voice. Internet Explorer burps at me, and the "Open or save?" window comes up again. After a few repititions, I realize this isn't working. I learn ".lzh" is is a compessed file, so I download a uncompressor, and move the file into an open folder. I open this folder and am confronted with "ôîò√ìgûéï╜ü@æ╠î▒ö┼" What does this mean? Beats me. I say, in my cool, manly voice, "This is my english computer trying to speak Japanese. Intriguing..." So, I open the folder, and find more gibberish. However, one icon is a cute anime girl, and is a ".exe" file. Score! So, I open it. My monitor switches to game mode, and I am estatic. Then, my hopes are shot down.

"Blah blah sound error blah blah data/wav/plst00.wav"

This is all I got from it. There is obviously some kind of sound error. With a .wav file. Is my sound card bad? Is a file missing? At this point, I am bamboozled. So, help me out, please.
A.Dantes

Re: Touhou Help

Post by A.Dantes »

Your computer can't tell what that path reads anymore than you can, creating issues trying to run pretty much anything inside folders like that. If you're lucky, you can just rename the folder to something with only English characters and it will work. If not, switch your computer's settings for non-unicode programs to Japanese, restart, delete the folder, re-extract the lzh, and try to run it.
Chiyuri

Post by Chiyuri »

or use a totaly different way. First off, Touhou game don't care much about your unicode, so changing them don't help. Secondly you must find a good source to get the games.. I have one source but it have all game up to touhou 9.5 in it.. This one is very easy to use as the game don't even require instalation..
I,ll post the link to the torrent but I don't know if that torrent is still active or not.

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthrea ... ght=touhou

if you search in touohu wiki, you can also find some patch to translate touhou 6, 7 and 8
Tonia-Tan

Post by Tonia-Tan »

Hmm i can pm you a site where ti ahs a whole section dedicated to touhou and you can find pretty much anything XD
Deoxys

Post by Deoxys »

Chiyuri wrote:or use a totaly different way. First off, Touhou game don't care much about your unicode, so changing them don't help. Secondly you must find a good source to get the games.. I have one source but it have all game up to touhou 9.5 in it.. This one is very easy to use as the game don't even require instalation..
I,ll post the link to the torrent but I don't know if that torrent is still active or not.

http://www.hongfire.com/forum/showthrea ... ght=touhou

if you search in touohu wiki, you can also find some patch to translate touhou 6, 7 and 8
I downloaded that and worked couple of months ago.