Japanese Text Support

Console, PC, MMO games
Watanuki

Japanese Text Support

Post by Watanuki »

(edit)
Instructions are for XP users. Win2k users only need to select Japanese as default from Control Panel -> Regional Settings.

First off, you need the East Asian Languages installed on your computer. To install (or check if you have it), go to Control Panel and open up Regional and Language Options

Navigate to the Languages tab, and see if the checkbox for east asian languages is filled out. If it isn't, you need the Windows installation CD or an I386 folder that sometimes comes on prebuilt machines.

Once you do have the East Asian Languages installed, you need to set up your computer so that Yogurting will display correctly. This can be done in two ways.

One with Microsoft Applocale which you can find here: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

What applocale does is run the program using a different language unicode than your system default. Once you have it installed, you can find it in your Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Applocale folder. Click the shortcut and press next till you get to this screen

Browse for your Yogurting.exe and leave the arguments field blank. Then click next. You should then see this screen

For those who have absolutely no understanding of Japanese, the selection in that screenshot is the one you should choose. Click next for...

I highly suggest you create a shortcut. After you click finish, the shortcut can be found in the Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Applocale folder.

The second way of enabling Japanese text to show up is by changing the default unicode of your system to Japanese. This is done through the Regional and Language Settings window.

in the "Language for non-Unicode Programs" section, select Japanese. Be warned that future installations of any programs will use Japanese as a default, and some programs might not work correctly (example would be Korean Ragnarok Online).

This should be all you need to do in order to view Japanese text in Yogurting. Ignore the rest of this guide because the next portion deals with writing in Japanese.

In the Language tab of the Regional and Language Settings window, select Details. This will bring you to this window

Notice the only input type available is English. In order to add Japanese, click Add. You'll be given this window where you should select Japanese.

If done correctly, you should see either...
on your taskbar, or
floating somewhere across your screen.

If it's on your taskbar, select "Restore the Language bar". Click on "English" and select Japanese. The language bar will change drastically and look like this

Even though the settings are now Japanese, you'll notice that you're still typing in plain english. To change that, click on Input Mode and you'll be given these options

You really only need Hiragana and Full-width Katakana for basic typing in Japanese. If you do not understand kanji and would prefer to leave everything in basic hiragana/katakana, click on Conversion Mode and select "No Conversion"

to enable the language bar in Yogurting, you must have it restored. It can not be minimized or you won't see it.

That's it for this section... ã
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

well, I finally got Japanese suppor in Yogurting. Thanks Watanuki.
...but it seems after installing the I386 and enabling the Japanese support,
I can't write those unicode symbols I usually use. :(
♦ ♠ ♣ ♥ ◄▼►▲ (copy & paste)
hmm,.... and I've grown accustomed to using those. T_T
onomeister

Post by onomeister »

great job Watanuki! btw a couple of your images are not displaying...
It's g*dd@mn cold here in Canada....!
Watanuki

Post by Watanuki »

the (in)dependability of imageshack...the images should return when that particular server comes back online.
magema

Ermm..

Post by magema »

After I installed it and such, I can't log in... :(

ソ メアンï¼
Watanuki

Re: Ermm..

Post by Watanuki »

[quote="magema"]After I installed it and such, I can't log in... :(

ソ メアンï¼
magema

Post by magema »

It didn't work... :P

I'm going to sign up again... I hope it works...
Watanuki

Post by Watanuki »

if it's worked before, installing a language on your computer shouldn't affect your account, since all information is saved on the servers. reason i asked if you were typing in english unicode is because the IME is converting your input. I'd try uninstalling the IME before signing up for a new account.
magema

Post by magema »

Thanks.
boele

Post by boele »

seems like i can't play yogurting ;_;..
i don't have my windows xp cd so i can't install the language..
to bad for me...

oo cruel cruel world
Mia-Isabella

Arigato!!!

Post by Mia-Isabella »

Yay!! Thank you for the reply!!
Welcome - to the- EMPTINESS. version 2.0
boele

Post by boele »

noo.. it says it can't find the setup for installing the langauge stuff..
please help
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I wouldn't bother with it anymore boele: viewtopic.php?t=857