Can't upload BMPs

See something wrong? Let us know
Julia

Can't upload BMPs

Post by Julia »

When I try to upload a bitmap image it says "Error: This file is not an image!"
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
yong

Re: Can't upload BMPs

Post by yong »

Probably an image file with wrong file extension, btw dont upload BMP image files, just recompress it to png.
BMP images are generally uncompressed, the file size is much larger than compressed image format like jpeg and png.
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

I knew that BMP images weren't uploadable for some time now. Making this into a bug report kind of surprises me O_o Since, well .. it's not a bug in the first place.
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

Well, the traditions page does say that they can be uploaded. We should fix that.
私は悪魔です。
Quenlin

Post by Quenlin »

I recommend against it, there is zero reason to use BMP. Convert it to PNG and it will actually have a lower filesize and identical quality. Only a complete fool who knows nothing of filetypes would upload one.
Disabled for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, inappropriate use of a bus. - Ran
Yeah, but she's cute, whereas the kids from Code LYOKO are a sniper's dream come true. -RdMarquis
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

I agree with Quenlin. That's why you don't see a lot of .bmp images. If not rarely or at all. But I have to say that half of them that save as .jpg / .jpeg without the right configurations (as in it being a high quality image, like the .png one) are just not interested in the quality or plain dumb.
Start "Paint", open the .bmp image and then "Save as..." a .png image. Don't be lazy.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Not every image editor are equals when it comes to saving to PNG, so I advise to avoid Paint. irfanview provide a good PNG compressor if that's what you only need.
Merun @ Twitter
Quenlin

Post by Quenlin »

Paint handles PNG just fine really, now jpg on the other hand... oh lord.
Disabled for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, inappropriate use of a bus. - Ran
Yeah, but she's cute, whereas the kids from Code LYOKO are a sniper's dream come true. -RdMarquis