Ratings Separation

Have a good idea? Let us know
Isoroku22

Ratings Separation

Post by Isoroku22 »

Ahem.

After noticing not so long ago that rating system which was meant to show our appreciation for art was wrongly used as some user abused for childish and immature reasons giving to many images as lowly ratings as possible completely missing purpose of rating. I have given it a longer thought that present rating system makes that dominant appreciative ratings overlap with minor non-appreciative ones causing conflict 'Too poorly rated, too highly rated'. Those who will find image underrated will rate it positively, while those who 'don't like' who'll find image overrated will rate it negatively.

What I had thought out is separating current rating into two way so both people who appreciate art and those who don't could express it without conflicting overlap. It would be like thumb up/thumb down method used on some other sites. Those separate ratings would be represented through a symbol and next to it would number representing amount of users who rated it. In addition having particular color themes (gold-silver for positive, brown-grey for negative). I'm fully aware that even with ratings separated there will be always someone who'll abuse ratings in whatever form, but at least it won't cause overlapping conflict.
Merun

Re: Ratings Separation

Post by Merun »

We have known for quite some time that rating is broken. Mods can see the rating made by each user and I remember your comment on the image which certainly made you realize how broken it was ( the rating on it was 1 btw ).

First problem on E-shuushuu, is the rating scale. Granting a 1-10 scale is far too large as each persons has an unique way of rating. Moreover, some people are binary, and only knows 1 and 10. Even the bayesian correction of E-shuushuu to take into account this sort of behavior, it's not enough to counter balance.

Second problem is the amount of people rating. Funny enough, the Top Image page will only reflect images with maybe 5-10 rating. Now if you sort E-shuushuu by the number of Favorite, you will get the most rated pictures. The most favored picture of E-shuushuu has 95 ratings! So which rating is better? 9.2 based on a few vote, or 8.6 based on 95?

Third problem is visible rating. Most favored, so also most controversial. Considering that it's possible to rank image on E-shuushuu and that rating is visible, the top images are also the target of "take down rating", as part of some sort of rating correction by the users, instead of rating the image itself. Here is the distribution of the 95 ratings:

1: 6
2: 1
5: 4
6: 1
7: 3
8: 12
9: 16
10: 52

I notice that the first 1 rating is the 50th in order of rating. Before, no one rated it 1.

Suggestion so far from the mod team is either complete removing, or scrap the current system, to just indeed, a thumb up/ thumb down.
Merun @ Twitter
Quenlin

Post by Quenlin »

Or maybe just a thumb up or you get narutards thumbing down everything. It's a real problem with tag poisoners on the boorus and people who know how to exploit an intentional part of the rating system.
Disabled for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, inappropriate use of a bus. - Ran
Yeah, but she's cute, whereas the kids from Code LYOKO are a sniper's dream come true. -RdMarquis
Isoroku22

Post by Isoroku22 »

*wakes thread from hibernation*

So, since issue is still valid (as seen on board) after such time I'd like to ask a question I missed before. Knowing that rating system is broken will there be anything done at all in this matter?
Sara

Post by Sara »

I don't actually see any use of rating system. Most users don't even pay attention to it, and those who do, they often(not all the time), rate is as lower as it's possible. I personally can stand better to see image with 0 favorites, instead of image with rating 6.0 .

Isn't it enough to fave picture that you like? And I can't see the reason for making "thumb up and down" rating, since many users could show their hate on that way. Like hate for character or artist itself.

I'm not trying to bash anybody, this is just the way I see how things are supposed to be.
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

To be absolutely honest, I never really saw much use of the rating system. Many times, as pointed out by sara, an image has rating but no favorites.. I am confused as to why; but that's not my point.
My point is that it is not like you can view images based only on rating... And no matter how much an image is rated, I don't really see a huge impact on the Top Images page, where quite often I keep seeing pretty much the same images.. I visit the Top Images quite often in hopes of finding something nice that I might have missed, but mostly it's all the same images as before.
I'd much rather have a Top Images page, based on the images with most favorites for the past month/week or something... (do note I am not sure if this is actually possible, just stating my opinion)

<3
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Aizawa

Post by Aizawa »

I'm with Sara and RockRabbit on this one.
Kiss and tell, isn't it far from here to hell?