Change the input tag field

Have a good idea? Let us know
Merun

Change the input tag field

Post by Merun »

Hmm, random thought I just had while I was working on one of my college project, that is, I'm in charge of coding a search module for a website, which integrates some tagging features.

I remember some years ago, I had suggested changing the way tag are handled on Shuu, mostly, using quotation marks as delimiter. I have always found find them rather inconvenient, because missing one quote mark implies error. Problem might be solved with auto complete, but I find it faster to just type whole theme tag because the arrow down key is just too far from the normal typing position to pick them in the autosuggestion list.

So as I was working on my project, I did have to implement some Javascript for tags, and that's where I found this:

https://github.com/chrisleishman/tag-it

As you can see on the demo ( scroll a bit to see them, and click on example.html to test ), it wraps each tag in a bubble ( aka like a lot of other website ). To do that, you just press enter or tab ( double tab to change input focus ) after completely writing the tag or you select from the drop down list. Original version allowed anything to be wrapped in bubble, but this fork has an option to lock tag to the suggested list. I also edited the Javascript to allow the bubble wrapping when you type the tag entirely ( perhaps I will change this behaviour to "pick the first element in the autosuggestion list" ) (Perhaps I should provide my own fork )

So, I'm just wondering if people would prefer such system. Better say, I have little to no say in what gets implemented on shuu.
Merun @ Twitter
Tensa

Re: Change the input tag field

Post by Tensa »

I always write an entire tag myself. Unless it's a long source or some artist. But theme tags are a fluke to simply write them down.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Tensa wrote:I always write an entire tag myself. Unless it's a long source or some artist. But theme tags are a fluke to simply write them down.
So do I, but this is a topic to kill quotation mark as a delimiter/wrapper xD
Merun @ Twitter
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Exactly what I'm saying. I don't type in words first. Doing this will just ruin my tagging speed. Mainly because my right little finger is obsessed with " when tagging.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Sure, but you are not contributing at all to the topic at hand. I'm not going to interpret your point of view / opinion from how you use the website.
Merun wrote:So, I'm just wondering if people would prefer such system
Just to make sure people understand, the system I'm proposing here is

1. type the tag ( without ")
2. press enter/tab

tada, you got a tag, repeat from 1 to add other tag. Less error due to missing ", better readability, easy to use, and would stop new user from putting characters in between quote.

You also get a nice cross icon to delete tag just by clicking them by the way.
Merun @ Twitter
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

i never actually use the quotation marks when tagging o.o
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Merun

Post by Merun »

RockRabbit wrote:i never actually use the quotation marks when tagging o.o
If I go by your previous post in the typing test, you just use the suggestion list. The system I'm proposing here won't change much your habit xD.

( eventually I will make a small demo page so that people can try it with the set of feature needed for shuu )
Merun @ Twitter
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

It's basically like tumblr tags.

Sounds awesome to me. The habit of using quotation marks is pretty easy to break.
I can't think of any other website that uses them for tags now, lol.
私は悪魔です。
Merun

Post by Merun »

Yatchen wrote:It's basically like tumblr tags.

Sounds awesome to me. The habit of using quotation marks is pretty easy to break.
I can't think of any other website that uses them for tags now, lol.
Pretty much.

I have put up a demo page for theme tag. Kind of ugly lol. I also added an autofocus to the first element of the list. So just write a few letter, press enter, and boom, you have the first tag of the list in the field.

http://claritism.com/tag/

Implementation wise, this is $.ajax free, I'm working on my project already for that part.
Merun @ Twitter
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

Looks interesting. I can give you access to the shuu git repo if you want to code up a prototype on testing. Email me your public key.
e-shuushuu!
Julia

Post by Julia »

Looks good to me.

Except, then you can't just copy paste a list of tags in quotes to quickly tag an image, right?
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Hmmm, no updates on this. Merun, you're not interested in giving it a try?
e-shuushuu!
Merun

Post by Merun »

I'm, just that I have very bad luck. I had 2 week off, sent Macbook Pro ( which has the GIT repo/public key ) to repair, hoping to get it back soon, I didn't. Then 2 weeks ago, one week off, just to get the flu :/.

Right now I'm bleeding Javascript thanks to my internship; screenshoting a webpage through the canvas by JS, then send it to a Trac server with a ticket. On the other hand, the college project for which I modified the library finished ( awfully :/ ). Next time I'm free is mid-august. ( I could still try some weekend if I'm not toying with my rig )

Since we are on the topic, I was wondering how I can do the testing? Just to know when I start.
Merun @ Twitter
anonymous_object
Site Admin

I think I emailed you how to access the git repo. You can use that to set up a local copy of the site and make any modifications you want. You'll probably also want a copy of the db for a complete test.
e-shuushuu!
Merun

Post by Merun »

If I set in local, yeah I will need a copy of the db
Merun @ Twitter