New Character Tagging System...

Have a good idea? Let us know
softfang

New Character Tagging System...

Post by softfang »

I'm not so sure I like it. While creative and certainly somewhat helpful in some cases, others, I just find it aggrivating for several reasons...

1) There are multiple versions of the same tag with awkward spelling or mis-capitalization. There is even a tag called "Miki Sayaka.Kyubey" or something to that effect. If they're going to be character tags, single names should only be used. (Then again, I don't know how that new system even works or if it's just a bug.)

2) It makes finding images harder. If you're going to keep the new system, at least put the "Old Characters" option in the search field so people can find images that aren't using the new system [yet].

3) Again, it depends on how the character-tag system works, but if ANYONE can randomly create a tag, you're going to run into problems like I listed in number 1. It should only be reserved for official mods and such of shuu. They'd know the proper way to spell the names best, and it'd look cleaner and it'd be much easier than having a hoard of the same tag flooding the suggestion dropbox.

4) Another thing, now with this I can't search for "solo" character images. :/ With shuu refusing to use 'solo' as a tag itself, now with this system bringing up any and all pictures with that single character in it (even with the use of '!group' and '!couple' it doesn't help since many people don't tag images with 'group' when there's multiple characters in the image). :/

Just my opinion, thought I'd share.
Last edited by softfang on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeviantArt Commissions OPEN | Remember 6.12.2016
Crimson_Camelia

Re: New Character Tagging System...

Post by Crimson_Camelia »

Huh? Regular users CAN make characters tags, for now? I quite don't believe it...

For now, we're not deleting/changing tags with typos, since anony said so (reason - changing them manually would take too many time), but it should be done rather quick.
tw
Lyrical Magical tw-chan

Post by tw »

softfang wrote:1) There are multiple versions of the same tag with awkward spelling or mis-capitalization. There is even a tag called "Miki Sayaka.Kyubey" or something to that effect. If they're going to be character tags, single names should only be used. (Then again, I don't know how that new system even works or if it's just a bug.)
Short term problem. It just takes time to fix.
softfang wrote:2) It makes finding images harder. If you're going to keep the new system, at least put the "Old Characters" option in the search field so people can find images that aren't using the new system [yet].
All images are using the new system. I spent a fair amount of time writing the converter that auto-ports old tags into the new tag regime for exactly this reason; anony would not have gone to the new system without it.
softfang wrote:3) Again, it depends on how the character-tag system works, but if ANYONE can randomly create a tag, you're going to run into problems like I listed in number 1. It should only be reserved for official mods and such of shuu. They'd know the proper way to spell the names best, and it'd look cleaner and it'd be much easier than having a hoard of the same tag flooding the suggestion dropbox.
Tag moderation for character tags works the same way as any other tag. You have to be flagged for tagger/mod/admin to create your own. Existing bad tags are due to conversion.
softfang wrote:4) Another thing, now with this I can't search for "solo" character images. :/ With shuu refusing to use 'solo' as a tag itself, now with this system bringing up any and all pictures with that single character in it (even with the use of '!group' and '!couple' it doesn't help since many people don't tag images with 'group' when there's multiple characters in the image). :/
This is a legitimate concern.
Julia

Post by Julia »

I (and others, I'm sure) am currently going through existing tags that were erroneously created with multiple characters in them (e.g. "Miki Sayaka.Kyubey" or "Len and Rin Kagamine") and a) correcting posts under those tags b) deleting the bad tags (since they are more than one character there is not a way to fix it with aliases).

Other mods and taggers are systematically going through the misspelled or miscapitalized tags to fix them.

This process can't really be automated so please be patient. :)
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3