Commenting on older pictures

Have a good idea? Let us know
Valea

Commenting on older pictures

Post by Valea »

I've been thinking about this lately.
Let's face it, e-shuushuu doesn't have as many active users than it used to.
Maybe it's time to change the rule about not commenting on older images? That might make people more likely to comment & participate in the community.

Thoughts on this? :?
Aizawa

Re: Commenting on older pictures

Post by Aizawa »

I wouldn't mind throwing this rule away, had we not of had issues with users suggesting tags on old, old images no one but a select few who sort by last comment date would see. So, I'd be cool giving users more of that liberty if we can enforce the report function in another way, too.

That being said, we will be checking on this thread and we appreciate everyones' voices that will be thought of and heard.
Kiss and tell, isn't it far from here to hell?
Siena Cruz

Post by Siena Cruz »

Hmm I'm not sure changing that rule will increase the activity that much. I feel like most of the new users are pretty shy and that's a shame.
This is just my opinion though :)
Sara

Post by Sara »

I'm in agreement with Siena here. I never really thought not being able to comment on older images is the reason why users are so quiet here.
But if allowing it increases activity even just a little, then you can count my reply as +1 for changing the rule, I guess.
Valea

Post by Valea »

That's true that it won't make much of a difference. I was just thinking that even if it makes the board even a just little bit more active, that's a good thing.
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

maybe if there was a menu option to view latest comments or something with just the press of a link (like how you see top images or random page), it would be less hectic to keep track on things and more people will be willing to look at images with comments and maybe participate in a conversation
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Sara

Post by Sara »

I think that would be a good idea. I was thinking about adding some more useful information to the trivia; ''You can repost your own uploads if you click "Submit Action" under the image tags, then "Repost" and pasting link of the newer version of image'' or ''You can check newest comments by doing that...'' for example. I do feel like the trivia issue was brought up once, can't recall was it discussed or simply ignored though.
Of course, there's also this Did you know: Only 5% of e-shuushuu's population pay attention to these tips?, so maybe making these somehow more...noticeable would work? I'm a complete newbie to coding, so this is just a simple suggestion.

As for why I'm mentioning all this, I think the big part of the reason why we have less and less active users is because they are discouraged by mistakes like these: disabled, reposted images, comments with caps lock turned on and so on. I know we have a page for rules and background but given that most of e-shuushuu userbase aren't native English speakers and finding the page without someone linking it to them might be a difficult task, maybe making the rules more available to them would work.

/rant over
Siena Cruz

Post by Siena Cruz »

Mmm yeah I agree with Sara, on the discouraged because of mistakes reason . But then again it's not like the mods are gonna bite them, since I've made mistakes quite a lot of times and true I was scared to interact after getting corrected on a mistake but I did become active haha (yay for me)
Maybe asking little questions in the comment section might help. Like a favorite thing or their opinion about the image in question.
Aizawa

Post by Aizawa »

Sadly the coding is out of my reach [I can barely even do HTML for my Tumblr blog, yikes]. I've been working on a Finnish version of the rules, but its taking more time than I'd hope it would. Personally, I think a good idea would to be to set the auto for users to actually see disabled images rather than it being the way it is now because its the opposite. I've had new members message me confused many of times wondering why their images 'vanished' without knowing they need to see their options and turn that on. .. I mean, we usually leave a reason but if you can't see the image. .. I've been messaging them lately after deactivating, but it's still hit and miss at times. Truthfully, some come not knowing what we are about and skip the rules, and getting disappointed after the fact, and some just need guidance.

As far as everything else, please, keep it coming if you want to. Suggestions and discussion are a great start for community activity.
Kiss and tell, isn't it far from here to hell?
whitekitten1997

Post by whitekitten1997 »

I'd love to be able to comment on older images. For example I recently got a new figure - the designs are specially for the figures and there are only a few images of them that are official, so I ended up trying to find any image I could of fanart to celebrate, which wasn't so fun.

I would also agree just to make people use the report system instead since it already says in the rules that tags are suggested to teach people to tag for themselves and perhaps remind people of tags as they're posting - other situations it makes sense to report.

When I was a new user it was a shame not to be able to comment on older images, since you can comment on something you have specific knowledge of rather than being stuck with what people are currently posting, unless you can find a relevant image yourself - that's without being forced to move to the forum which is so much more daunting. It didn't stop me being active, so I don't see that as an argument but there are many other reasons why posting on older images would just be nice in general.

I agree with Sara's earlier comment about things being generally hard to find on shuu though, now that it's mentioned. I am English, not just in language - it took me ages to find certain things myself even if it's simple once you know it's there, so I can't imagine the trouble other language speakers have.
MyAnimeList | Tumblr (Pink GIFs) | Tumblr (Main)