Search functionality

Have a good idea? Let us know
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

anonymous_object wrote:Actually, the relationship is shown both ways. Check the "twin piece" tag. It says quite clearly that it is inherited from "mizugi".
Change that to a suggestion that the relationship be displayed in the same way for both the inheriting tag and the parent tag. I'd managed to completely overlook that note on the mizugi entry and, given the extremely low color contrast ratio ( 2.30 on a scale that places black on white as 21 ) for that color on white, its not too surprising.
anonymous_object wrote:Considering from the start, shuushuu has required javascript for many features... if you're browsing without javascript support... oh well. I have no intention of fully supporting users who choose not to enable javascript. As for searching for tags like ef*, that would be completely redundant since that's how the auto suggest works. For tag searches with a starting wildcard... not sure about that... I'll give it some thought, but I think the user doing the searching would at least know what their desired source (or some alias) starts with.
There are a number of series which I am currently familiar enough to know their full titles, but they're generally referred to by the last words in their title. Tsukihime instead of Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Lyrical Nanoha instead of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, etc. ( Not the best of examples, but definite patterns. ) There are also series where the title is in Japanese and the starting words have more than a few spelling variations so I just search for the last word or two.

I'll also note that failure to follow modern web standards in the past really is no reason not to follow them for future additions. I know there are some members on this board with the time, inclination, and technical knowledge required to help if time is an issue.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

A.Dantes wrote:Change that to a suggestion that the relationship be displayed in the same way for both the inheriting tag and the parent tag. I'd managed to completely overlook that note on the mizugi entry and, given the extremely low color contrast ratio ( 2.30 on a scale that places black on white as 21 ) for that color on white, its not too surprising.
It's quite visible to me... though, yes, having them in the same place both ways might work better.
A.Dantes wrote:There are a number of series which I am currently familiar enough to know their full titles, but they're generally referred to by the last words in their title. Tsukihime instead of Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Lyrical Nanoha instead of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, etc. ( Not the best of examples, but definite patterns. ) There are also series where the title is in Japanese and the starting words have more than a few spelling variations so I just search for the last word or two.
Alias tags will take care of this.
A.Dantes wrote:I'll also note that failure to follow modern web standards in the past really is no reason not to follow them for future additions. I know there are some members on this board with the time, inclination, and technical knowledge required to help if time is an issue.
LOL... Modern web standards? The W3C can't get their act together enough to make any usable standards so I don't follow them. I do what's actually practical, not necessarily standard. I made the decision to not fully support non-javascript users when I started the site back in 2005. That was based on my previous years of experience running kawaii-radio and monitoring how many of the thousands of visitors actually visit without javascript support. Guess what, nearly 100% of my visitors had javascript enabled. Why should I cripple my site in the name of supposed standards compliance when it's completely out of line with the real world statistics?
e-shuushuu!
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

...after uploading a few images, I really feel as though it has become far more difficult just to get the same result. I also have difficulty in checking if it's a repost or not, (since searching for a particular series doesn't give me all the exact results from that series).

The automatic tag suggestion takes too long to show up and Firefox's form history is quite faster, and they also block each other:

Also, on searching, I get an unresponsive script notice, which almost crashes my browser.

And, since my status is that of a regular user, I don't have this quick-tagging method like the tagging team.. which I'm not entirely certain if it makes tagging an easier job. :\

*These are from my viewpoint as a regular user.
I'm not sure if mods or taggers have a better advantage in labeling/tagging images, but if ever, it surely discourages me from constant uploading. T_T
anonymous_object
Site Admin

solwyvern wrote:...after uploading a few images, I really feel as though it has become far more difficult just to get the same result. I also have difficulty in checking if it's a repost or not, (since searching for a particular series doesn't give me all the exact results from that series).

The automatic tag suggestion takes too long to show up and Firefox's form history is quite faster, and they also block each other:

Also, on searching, I get an unresponsive script notice, which almost crashes my browser.

And, since my status is that of a regular user, I don't have this quick-tagging method like the tagging team.. which I'm not entirely certain if it makes tagging an easier job. :\

*These are from my viewpoint as a regular user.
I'm not sure if mods or taggers have a better advantage in labeling/tagging images, but if ever, it surely discourages me from constant uploading. T_T
You know... I can take constructive criticism and suggestions, but right now, you're just exaggerating and attempting to make the change sound much worse than it really is. It is certainly not "far more difficult" nor should it discourage anyone from posting. If you are so opposed to any sort of change, feel free to to stop using the site ^_^. If you actually have something useful to say, then I might listen.

As for your problems with Firefox, I don't know. I test with Firefox and I haven't had that problem. I do know about the Firefox history dropdown issue, but I can't fix that short of rewriting the entire tag suggest system (however which may be done in the future).
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Mhh, it does more sound like this is a browser related issue solwyvern. I daily use Opera and have also tested with Firefox and don't encounter any of the issues you mention. Maybe check your browser settings or re-install Firefox?
The tag suggestion usually shows up at the same intervals, so I haven't noticed any slowdown. Maybe turn off the form history option, that way it won't interfere with the tag pop-up?

I tested it with my account, see the below screenshots (using Opera here), I type m and the tag suggestion shows up instantly, no script errors. Works fine, so perhaps do check the browser settings you're using, is it the latest version of Firefox?
Image Image

(This is valid for any type of users, moderators or tagging team members do not use any special kind of webbrowser.)
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Post by Evangeline Mcdowell »

solwyvern wrote: Also, on searching, I get an unresponsive script notice, which almost crashes my browser.
I think this one has a merit though as I've experienced this myself. This error is a little hard to replicate if you don't do it right the first time, and people with blazingly fast connections might not experience this at all.
This error happens if you start typing in tags before the page loads completely (At least that's what my intuition tells me)

As soon as you start typing in a tag-enabled field, the page sends http requests to the server.

Code: Select all

onkeyup="searchSuggest('tags', 'tag_suggest', 1);"
The server then responds with the list of possible candidates which shows up in the clickable window.
Once clicked, the script calls for the setSearch function

Within the setSearch function, rightTrim is called. this is where everything stops. Particularly, this line.

Code: Select all

sString = sString.substring(0,sString.length-len); }
Since the page is still loading, sString parameter is still undefined, so its either str1 or str2 variable from setSearch function's fault.

Pic

http://i29.tinypic.com/2hyweuw.png
http://i26.tinypic.com/16i75uv.png
http://i29.tinypic.com/4sogpk.png

For now, to prevent this from happening to you, I suggest waiting to make sure that the page has fully loaded before starting to type in the tag-enabled fields.
I'm no java expert so maybe there's a programming solution to this?
maybe a try/catch statement would do the trick?
Last edited by Evangeline Mcdowell on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Well I can't replicate that, the search section always loads in one block so I'm unable to even start typing anything in it halfway as it appears at once, whole, so it could indeed happen for slow connections or when the server is only responding slowly.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Hmmmm... I will have to look into this.
e-shuushuu!
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

Dynamically adding the event triggers to the element through a function attached to window.onload instead of placing the JavaScript inline should solve the scripting issues.

Also, you can solve solwyvern's issue by simply adding additional functionality. Currently, if the source field doesn't match an existing tag, the website just throws an error and quits. If, instead, when it found a string that isn't a tag it

1) Searched all source tags for that string
2) Performed the search, using OR to join the tags it found that matched the string.
3) Displayed the search results and which tags it used to produce those results.

it would give everyone the advantages inherent in both systems ( and is a better implementation than my earlier suggestion ).
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Post by Evangeline Mcdowell »

hmmmm But there is also an issue of functionality vs. system load.
With the number of users shuushuu has both bandwidth and processing time is a concern too. That seemingly small change in the search query might have big effects for everybody.
I say give the source tag system time to mature since it hasn't reached its full implementation yet (not yet linked to wiki =( ).
When the tag system came out initially, I found tagging my images before posting an irritating chore, but eventually got used to how it works.