How to handle image duplicates?

Have a good idea? Let us know
anonymous_object
Site Admin

How to handle image duplicates?

Post by anonymous_object »

Shuushuu has grown to a size where image dupes are an annoying problem.
Currently, if the mods find a dupe, we will either delete the image or mark it as disabled. The thing with marking them as disabled is that it can fill up the pages with disabled images and may make the mods look mean (XD).
So, I want to know what the shuushuu general public thinks we should do with images have been found to be dupes. Some ideas I have thought of are:
  • 1. Have a separate 'disabled-like' image to distinguish between inappropiate images that were deactivated and just a plain old dupe.

2. Make the image thumbnail a combination of the original thumbnail and a marker showing it's a dupe (Maybe the image with a semi-transparent text saying 'duplicate' or something). This could include allowing the full image to still be seen or not.

3. Just competely delete all dupes

4. Continue to just mark as regular deactivated images
We don't want to leave dupes marked as normal, active images. Otherwise, people won't care about uploading dupes and we'll start seeing the same images over and over :-/

Other ideas?
Discuss!
Last edited by anonymous_object on Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-shuushuu!
Drake

Post by Drake »

humm,it's a good idea to talk about that,cause it's really a great problem ^^;as for me if I may say my point of view,I want to respond to this:
We don't want to leave dupes marked as normal, active images. Otherwise, people won't care about uploading dupes and we'll start seeing the same images over and over :-/
in shuushuu,people who upload images are generally habitued membres who are here since a long time and know very well how shuushuu work, so I dont understand when you said that they will dont care about uploading dupes,we dont have any benefit in uploading dupes if we already know that it was posted,nearly 100% of the reposts are there because we didnt knew about the pic already posted,and when there are no sources on the original pic it's like impossible to find it again when a mod delete it,so what I propose is that dupes pictures shouldnt be deleted unless someone was able to give the link to the original pic,if this original pic had a source and was easy to find if the poster done a search then he will recieve a notice (or a warning,I dont know how to say it in english) so he will remember next time to search ; too much warnings can lead to a temporay ban or a definitve ban,if the pic didnt have any sources,then it's not his fault and it will be simply deleted ,of couse,pics wich are too ecchi or not suited to the forum will be deleted simply and directly ^^

I think that it is the best thing to do to definitivly end up this problem,it's my way of view and of course I can be wrong ^^,so tell me what do you think about it :)

(hope my english wasnt so bad...)
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

I have an idea, though it might be slightly different, it's a good way of finding dupes and making better use of the search function, and granting easier access to pics.

Tags. We tag images with whatever name that fits. Any member should be able to tag images, so this way, all images are labeled and can easily be searched.

Like if the image is a Rozen Pic w/ Suigintou in it, that's black and white, and a very big pic, it will be tagged, by all members, with whatever tag they see fit.

Example. The tags for that rozen pic I just mentioned would be,
Rozen , Monochrome(black&white) , Suigintou , HighRes.

And we will have a list of what tags are available somewhere on the board, for easy access to pics.

Here's other examples of what I'm trying to say:
The tags for this can be: Suigetsu , Yuki , pajama , wallpaper.

The tags for this one can be Futakoi Alternative , Sara , Souju , guns , maid , gif.

So if we choose the 'guns' tag or type out guns in the search function, ALL images that has a gun in it will pop out.
And since not everyone will be kind enough to type out the tag, hopefully tagging images can be done by single click, just by choosing the tag from a list, or requesting a new tag.
Although, this way, might require a whole lot of work. It's up to anony.
This idea actually comes from this other image board I once saw, that uses this method.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

That's a seemingly good idea. It would definitely add more metadata to each image making it easier to search for particular images by character, anime, category, etc...
It sounds very wiki-like but what I would be worried about with a set up such as that is users abusing the system. Even if I require users to login before they can edit the metadata, there would be nothing to stop a troublemaker from registering and editing 100 images' metadata with 'OWNED' or something. It would almost be a requirement to have to keep multiple versions of each image's data (like wikis do for articles).
It's definitely a good idea though. I'll give it some thought ^^
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Option 1 and 2 sound pretty good, as it is, perhaps it's best if you look at what's most practical for you to implement and what would work best for the database and its ease of use and load. :)
Aragoma

Post by Aragoma »

I am in total agreement with drake's statement. Dubs should not be disabled unless a link can be provided to the other image. (that is at least how i feel about it)

And i love solwyvern idea since it would alot easier to find images that have no source, artist, etc.
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

Aragoma wrote:I am in total agreement with drake's statement. Dubs should not be disabled unless a link can be provided to the other image. (that is at least how i feel about it)

And i love solwyvern idea since it would alot easier to find images that have no source, artist, etc.
If everyone was as diligent in tagging images as a few of us are, I'd be fine with that; There are a bunch of images that are dupes, but untagged.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Aragoma wrote:Dubs should not be disabled unless a link can be provided to the other image.
While I can relate to that, as AnimeJ stated, it depends on how well images are tagged.

If I can -hopefully often enough to- spot a duplicate image that is not tagged and verify in the anime pictures folder(s) on my Hard Drive that I already have it (from it being posted on e-shuushuu) I disable it... but try to also comprehend that if it is untagged, we can hardly be expected go through all the hundreds of shuushuu pages to find that one untagged image just to provide the link to it...
onomeister

Re: How to handle image duplicates?

Post by onomeister »

I like 3, It keeps everything nice and tidy. Like on moeboard, I only ever see pics and replies, pics and replies, no interruptions of "DISABLED"
anonymous_object wrote:
3. Just competely delete all dupes
I also very much like the idea of adding tags to images. It will help not only us to find dupes easier, but for mods to locate them too. And you should allow mods to add/edit tags, so if someone is too lazy or forgets, the mods can add it. If the 4 of you add these tags to every image on the board, let's say 5-10 per day, you should probably have all images with tags put on them in a couple of weeks, and then you'll probably find and be able to delete some duplicate old miscellaneous images by using these 'description' tags (eg. pajamas, goth, wedding, pink, etc). I'd suggest to be able to add several description tags (4 or 5?), as well as the anime and char name
As to the problem of abusers changing the tags, tag changing should only be allowed by the poster of the image, and by mods, and be closable to any more changes in metadata once a mod feels fit. Just like locking a thread. You may need a couple of more mods to help out in this area, with all the extra workload.
It's g*dd@mn cold here in Canada....!
Taboo

Post by Taboo »

I think the image tags could be a very good idea. After that, I think it would be fine to just completely delete the duplicate images.

However, I really like the Image Disabled graphic so it would be fun if we keep it for pics that are disabled for being too ecchi/non-kawaii etc. =p
Aliens, Time Travelers, Sliders and Espers recieve FREE FOOD! Come to us!
onomeister

Post by onomeister »

Personally, I don't like the Image Disabled pics, it clutters the board. I just scroll through them anyways when looking over the new images. And as AnonyO says, "The thing with marking them as disabled is that it can fill up the pages with disabled images". There are WAY too many of these already. It annoys me to see soo many, imo. Just delete them, including the comments.
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

onomeister wrote:Personally, I don't like the Image Disabled pics, it clutters the board. I just scroll through them anyways when looking over the new images. And as AnonyO says, "The thing with marking them as disabled is that it can fill up the pages with disabled images". There are WAY too many of these already. It annoys me to see soo many, imo. Just delete them, including the comments.
As you can tell, we DO get a lot of duplicate images. I do now, and have always disabled solely on the fact that it takes less time; deleting them takes more than double the effort, which can quickly add up when people decide they're going to dump 10-15 pages @ 15 images a page on the site in the span of a couple hours.

To put that into a more easily comprehended perspective, consider this: I once spent nearly 3 hours disabling images. If I were deleting them, I would have spent closer to 6 or 7. As to tagging, the most at once I've spent is around 4 or 5 hours; cumulatitvely I've spent 70 or 80 researching and tagging images.

Am I complaining? Not in the least; I do this because I enjoy it. However, that doesn't mean I can't point out the amount of time and effort I've put into making shuu^2 more enjoyable for you guys in hope that maybe you'll be a little more diligent in helping us mods out ^.^
onomeister

Post by onomeister »

:shock: Didn't realize it takes so much longer to delete images than to disable...
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

onomeister wrote::shock: Didn't realize it takes so much longer to delete images than to disable...
Most don't; since disabling is temporary, it doesn't require and extra check, and you stay at the image; deleting requires one, since it's slightly more permanent, and then I have to pick up my place again.
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

Ookami wrote:i love that idea.
Could the keywords just be seperated by space or comma or both at the users habit?

Example:
Nekomimi - Catgirl - Maid - Meedo
Nekomimi Catgirl Maid Meedo
Nekomimi, Catgirl, Maid, Meedo

all would bring the same results.

a new field could be added below
"Anime/Manga Source:"
-->"Keywords:"
http://e-shuushuu.net/image.php?mode=vi ... e_id=19903