Important stuff goes here?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Re: Preview new shuushuu site

Post by anonymous_object »

boele wrote:noo why change it ?
this new version sucks..
the one we have now is much better
Thanks for the constructive criticism... If you don't like it, tell us why and how it can be improved.
e-shuushuu!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Smithy wrote:With the current testing site's user's avatar, user name and title being next to each other instead of on top of each other, a horizontal alignment instead of vertical, it does not seem as easily readable as it is now. Especially the title text has become redundant.
If you compare current and new below.

I would be as bold as to suggest removing the user title (since we have colors to identify users, admin, moderators, tagging team anyway) and perhaps even removing the user avatar as well as in the current proposed markup they seem to have little visual use and obfuscate easy view of the user name.
This is a problem that I acknowledge needs some work.

On the current site, the page lengths when viewing images can get absurdly long. The varying page lengths is mostly due to the space comments take up.

So, after quite a bit of discussion in the IRC channel, we determined that shortening the height of an average comment (being less than 3 lines) was the best option. This is the reasoning for removing the username, join date, and title rows as they will always take up space even if a comment is only a single line long.

The new comment layout significantly shortens the height of a 1 line comment which in turn will shorten the average page length when viewing images. The only problem is how to handle the user's title. I don't especially like the title being next to the username either, but I don't know a better way to display it.

We could get rid of titles altogether but I would prefer to not do that. I am open to ideas on how to display them better.
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

On the new layout, to go to your Private Messages, you would hence always have to go to your Profile page first then? (No more direct navigation link.)

Well removing the user's avatar/image will also help decrease comment height (and save a bit on bandwith, page loading time too) so it may be an option worth considering.

Removing the titles would yield a very clean top bar in the comments and make the user name stand out more.
You could perhaps try and see what result it gives if you make the title smaller, perhaps appear in the same (different) color for everyone, e.g. black or with a symbol/seperator between the user name and the title, like e.g. "~" or "/"?
boele

Post by boele »

anonymous_object wrote:
boele wrote:noo why change it ?
this new version sucks..
the one we have now is much better
Thanks for the constructive criticism... If you don't like it, tell us why and how it can be improved.
yeah i should have said that..
sorry ;_;

but here it comes:
- i like the old way where you upload it.
- that every option for the image-bord is on the top left, not left and above.
i think the old way is much easier.
- that the images are under each other and not pushed together, and now you also can see comment, not first click on the image text and post and click to see the image.
- the top shuu banner now looks clean, with the new version it looks kinda dull with the all the words under and above it.

for my feeling i like the old one because it is easy to use, clean and no unnecessary links for example to upload images
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Smithy wrote:On the new layout, to go to your Private Messages, you would hence always have to go to your Profile page first then? (No more direct navigation link.)

Well removing the user's avatar/image will also help decrease comment height (and save a bit on bandwith, page loading time too) so it may be an option worth considering.

Removing the titles would yield a very clean top bar in the comments and make the user name stand out more.
You could perhaps try and see what result it gives if you make the title smaller, perhaps appear in the same (different) color for everyone, e.g. black or with a symbol/seperator between the user name and the title, like e.g. "~" or "/"?
Yes, the direct PM link has been moved to the profile section. I believe most users click on a user's profile to send a PM (where you will find a direct link that populates the "To" field).

I've added a comma to separate the usernames and titles. Not perfect but it does help break them apart.

I don't consider removing avatars an option. I use avatars to quickly identify users without having to read the usernames (and comments sometimes ;)) and I'm sure others do this as well. Bandwidth isn't a concern on the new server and I'm pretty satisfied with the new decreased height with the avatar.
e-shuushuu!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

boele wrote:yeah i should have said that..
sorry ;_;

but here it comes:
- i like the old way where you upload it.
- that every option for the image-bord is on the top left, not left and above.
i think the old way is much easier.
- that the images are under each other and not pushed together, and now you also can see comment, not first click on the image text and post and click to see the image.
- the top shuu banner now looks clean, with the new version it looks kinda dull with the all the words under and above it.

for my feeling i like the old one because it is easy to use, clean and no unnecessary links for example to upload images
-The vast majority of shuushuu visitors simply view images and do not upload. For them, the upload form simply gets in the way. For those that do upload images, it is an extra click but I think that most uploaders won't mind it.
-The top left menu on the current site has way too many links in it. We have tried to simplify the navigation.
-I think you're referring to the new "Thumbnail" layout that is now available to all users. If you look at the top of the page in the Sort By section, you will find the "Thumbnail View" option. Uncheck that to display images in the original layout.
-Almost all opinions I've heard about the links below the banner have bee positive and I think so too. Those links will bring you to the main navigation sections where you can find additional sub-links and options.
e-shuushuu!
boele

Post by boele »

if most people like it geuss i am just complaining for nothing.

but i thought of 1 thing..
if. you keep al the images under each other, like it is now
and not all put together.
people post comments under images, which make the page longer..
but to make shorter and quicker to look through.
that use like what have on youtube with bad comments.
that the posts are hidden, but can be viewed if clicked on, that it does'nt take alot of uneccesary space
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

anonymous_object wrote:I've added a comma to separate the usernames and titles. Not perfect but it does help break them apart.
Have you perhaps considered trying another seprator and having the user title in a different color (the same as the date & time)?
Because I am not sure the comma is quite ideal, it doesn't look all that great I fear.
Kagemaru

Post by Kagemaru »

Hmm...it might be just me and my webbrowser/PC, but if I slide down through the page, it seems to go slower then it does with the current E-shuushuu styling. It's noticable, but not impending. Is there any reason for this? Did I miss anything in the topic that pointed it out? ^^;

As for the rest...well, it looks very nice! The design is slick and the font is easy to read. The "show all information" option is a very good addition. Especially for the members who, well, don't really care for all that. Saves room on the pages too.

Although I have a few comments...if this has been mentioned already, sorry. ^^;
The upload section being hidden under a button in the top of the page might be a bit of a problem for new members, as they might miss it and think they can't upload anything. Not that I'm assuming the new members'll always miss it, but I had to look twice before I found it. Might just be though. XD

Hmm...I've just uploaded an image, looked through the options and disabled it...could the "Currently Deactivated" message underneath the image be changed to capitals? Or do something else to make it a bit more noticable? I'm oftenly scrolling through entire pages, searching for reposts, and seeing a nice big warning saying that the image has already been disabled helped a lot.

I'll keep testing the site if needed to. Do you have anything you haven't had any feedback on?
Sig made by drake-sama~! ^_________^
oleo_sidhe

Post by oleo_sidhe »

This may seem pretty minor, but I noticed there was no "Image Caption" option. I always enjoyed putting a caption on some of my pictures, especially the more ridiculous ones. The removal may have been on purpose, but I'm just letting you know I noticed it.

Also, after you hit "Show all info," There's no way to put it away again.

And, Image 11 is marked as a repost of Image 10... Interesting...
ella_minerva

Post by ella_minerva »

What happened to the size options ? Those were useful.
I want the old e-shuushuu back ! Image
shawurai

Post by shawurai »

Would it be possible to have the "forum" link back in the browse menu?
I shall speak neither hurtful nor harsh word, but shall speak respectfully, even of my enemies, for temperate words may turn aside anger.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Or perhaps have the forum link be more prominently visible in the 'community' page? Since most of the 'community' page (the whole center) deals with the IRC channel, people may not notice there's a forum.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Having the forum link hidden away in the "Community" section isn't a good idea IMO. It should be a prominent link on the mainpage to allow easy access for old and new members alike.

Also, the sidebar still seems excessively lifeless. I still think that the "My Activities" section should include an image of the user's avatar and I would drop the "Welcome, User" bar from the top of the page down to where it used to be. It feels scattered sitting up top by itself.
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

It helps to only have one thread per topic. Closing this one if favor of the announcement thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1101