Preview new shuushuu site

Important stuff goes here?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Preview new shuushuu site

Post by anonymous_object »

Hey guys and girls 8)
We've been working on a new site theme and layout and would like to get some feedback from the users before it goes live.

You can see the new site at http://testing.e-shuushuu.net

It's not using the same database as the current site, but if you had an account before June you should be able to log in. The images and posts there will be older ones.

Take a look at the new theme, navigation links, and other changes. If you see something broken (bug), let us know.
If you see something you think can be improved, let us know how we can make it better. We would like to hear from our users to determine how we can make the site better. :)

P.S. This is still in testing so it's not finalized. Keep that in mind :P
e-shuushuu!
A.Dantes

Re: Preview new shuushuu site

Post by A.Dantes »

Even if you didn't have an account in June, registration needs testing too. You should be able to go through registration and create a new account on the testing website without issues. If this is not the case though, we need to know.
Nine_Lives

Post by Nine_Lives »

I tested registration. It sent me my e-mail, I clicked the link, and it told me my account was activated. Upon tyring to login, as it suggested, it told me I had an invalid activation key. And of course, I could not log in. <_<
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

We found the source of Nine_Lives issues and while it isn't actually a bug, it is something to be aware of. The main Shuushuu website sets a cookie for all domes of e-shuushuu.net. Testing sets a cookie specifically for testing.e-shuushuu.net. Certain browsers (I'm looking at you, IE) will incorrectly return to the server the cookie for all of e-shuushuu.net instead of the one meant for testing. This is not a defect with the testing site and is just something that we'll have to live with.

Short answer: If you're having issues logging into testing, clear cookies and then try again.
LilFlow

Post by LilFlow »

I'm having the same problem.
Seeing as I registered before June I tried logging in and couldn't, I've cleared my cookies and still nothing =\
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

That isn't enough information to work from. Drop by the IRC channel and we'll see if we can get it worked out.
LilFlow

Post by LilFlow »

I've managed to log in now, so no worries.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Just an update:

The new site is very close to being finalized. I plan to have the new site go live by the end of the year. In other words, within a week or two.

If you haven't yet tested the preview site at http://testing.e-shuushuu.net, I suggest you give it a try. We are still open to feedback and suggestions before having it go live so if you notice something that could be improved, let us know.

e-shuushuu!
Ran

Post by Ran »

A few things I noticed. :)
Attachments
random ss.PNG
random ss.PNG (46.46 KiB) Viewed 35313 times
nothing.PNG
nothing.PNG (57.45 KiB) Viewed 35316 times
line up.PNG
line up.PNG (204.07 KiB) Viewed 35323 times
boele

Post by boele »

noo why change it ?
this new version sucks..
the one we have now is much better
AiKaze

Post by AiKaze »

boele wrote:noo why change it ?
this new version sucks..
the one we have now is much better
I agree T_T the present version is way better and warmer :cry:
I am the Queen...
...of scatter-brained, misunderstandings, naivety and... bubbles (~`-`)~oOo0
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

With the current testing site's user's avatar, user name and title being next to each other instead of on top of each other, a horizontal alignment instead of vertical, it does not seem as easily readable as it is now. Especially the title text has become redundant.
If you compare current and new below.

I would be as bold as to suggest removing the user title (since we have colors to identify users, admin, moderators, tagging team anyway) and perhaps even removing the user avatar as well as in the current proposed markup they seem to have little visual use and obfuscate easy view of the user name.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (144.54 KiB) Viewed 35312 times
BakaNeko

Post by BakaNeko »

I have no problems logging in and testing but overall the concept of the new site is what I'm guessing to be more simpler. I still prefer the present style of style though.
Starra

Post by Starra »

Is it possible to have both styles, so people can choose? I personally like the new one, but I can see people complaining.

Like, make the new style the default one but have an option so that members can change back to the old one?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Ran wrote:A few things I noticed. :)
1. The title on the main page is present to maintain consistency throughout the site. If you go to other pages, such as the search or profile page, you will see how it is used.

2. Avatars take up too much space in the left nav menu and don't really provide any useful information. The current nav menu is way too crowded and this is one way we cleaned it up. When you have new PM, you will see a notification at the top of the page.
new-PM.png
new-PM.png (179.49 KiB) Viewed 35215 times
3. Images are centered vertically. That looks better when the image box is taller (due to more tags, characters, etc).
e-shuushuu!