Site changes - 01/05/09

Important stuff goes here?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Re: Site changes - 01/05/09

Post by anonymous_object »

Smithy wrote:Yes, but might it not be a nice idea to have the forum link more prominently visible in the 'community' page?
The most visible part of the 'community' page -basically the whole center area- deals with the IRC channel, people may not notice at a glance there's a forum link in the left navigation bar.
That's a good idea. I made a quick "Welcome" page for the Community section. Is that better?
e-shuushuu!
Shaunt

Post by Shaunt »

The way the comments are set up now for each picture makes it feel as if the page is more cluttered. I enjoyed having a simple set-up for the viewing of pictures because now I find myself staring at all the noticeable differences in the two layouts. I'm not lovin' the new layout at all, but I probably just need to adjust to it.

I'd appreciate an option that lets you chose between this layout and the old one.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

Which of these two comment styles do you guys prefer? Icons or text links?
comments.png
comments.png (64.95 KiB) Viewed 38746 times
e-shuushuu!
-Aki-

Post by -Aki- »

Text links are much better. Just make them smaller for the purpose of distinguishing them from the normal post text. The problem with images is they dont make sense. Really! they dont, we were not thought to read egiption hiroglyphs, having people work as interpreters for your site is a bad idea.

If you want to use icons make sure the text is either on the icon or simply add the icon on the left of the text (the most standard approuch).

As for the new site in general:

- anything thats a link needs to be underlined, hiding the fact it is a link is a way to hide a potentially useful feature. Making links a diffrent color doesnt really do anything even if their blue, nobody really cares what color the text is I'm afraid.

- if eye-tracking test are any indication having both vertical and horizontal navigation is very bad idea. Generally focus will go from vertical to horizontal so in the case of the current style the top navigation is very hard/annoying to look at. I read the previous thread as well as this one and I really do not see what reasons you've had to remove stuff from the side navigation, more or less lines it will still take the same space. The avatar pic should be added back it gives that portal feel to the site which many people warm up to. Its just a very good idea in general to use as much as posible user input (like avatars etc) to customize the site, makes it look more friendly.

- the fonts seem random, I think you're using obscure windows fonts and 2-3 of them at that. Generally my personal opinion is that the systems default font should be used everywhere, with everything in just one font (eg. for windows xp that would be Tohoma not the webfont-recomended-by-people-who-made-InternetEXploder 'Trebuchet MS' typeface), to avoid the reader having to look at things like titles as if writen in a different language. The color also seems to be absolute black, it should be reduced in intensity slightly, a lot of people have a problem with absolute black or white; usually its a monitor issue, just shows up as too bright. (example: color: #222; font-family: Calibri, Tohoma, 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, 'Myriad Pro', 'Lucida Grande', 'Segoe UI', sans-serif;).

- as for the comment and image boxes.

-- I've been browsing a little and, if you have comments on, many times the thin distinction betwean comments and a seperate image is hard to spot. I know it will take a few pixels of screen space more but can comments just be made into little boxes with diffrent colors and placed outside of the image, or if inside have the image and meta also placed in a diffrent box as well.

-- The way the avatars are placed currently makes them look like a sort of side signature. What I'm seeing is a post where someone posted a image and direcly after posted some text so that its inline with the image. If they are going to be like that it might look better if they were on the right, since they just make reading the comments harder, and in all honesty the entire system stupid.

-- Among other things, dates on comments should be on the left (everyone does it like that), titles should always be in a smaller font under the user name or anywhere else other then the direct right or left of the user name.

I know nothing is going to change since your already in love with it :P but just take it as feedback for the next time you change it.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Minor bug when replying to images with more than 5 comments. The board now show only 5 comments and hide the rest but when you want to reply, first it will load a new page, the post field is just below the image and not below the last comment, and there are only the first 5 comments displayed, which is a bit annoying when replying.

edit: there is in fact a difference between that "reply" button and the other: it doesn't have any referrer
Merun @ Twitter
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

Merun, I'm failing to be able to replicate your issue. Your reference to a new reply button indicates that JavaScript is not disabled, but if that's the case there is no reason I can find why you would wind up on the non-AJAX reply page. I'm currently in the process of fixing the issues you named on that page, however.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

anonymous_object wrote:I made a quick "Welcome" page for the Community section. Is that better?
Fantastic!
Fuwari

Post by Fuwari »

Alright, this one is a little hard to reproduce, but it's possible... when you rapidly click on two images' "Show All Information" buttons (after the page has fully loaded, so it populates the page with the information instead of transferring you to the image's specific page), you get both images' data on the second one clicked, like so.
anonymous_object wrote:Which of these two comment styles do you guys prefer? Icons or text links?
I prefer the icons, though I still think better icons should be made.
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

I tried to set an image as a repost, and the field for the replacement image never showed up. Yes, I use IE like Ran. Yes, go ahead and feel free to roll your eyes at me. Anyway, I tried with Firefox and it showed up. So, is there a reason it's not showing up on IE and it can get changed, or will you guys force me to use FF? XD
yong

Post by yong »

1. Is it possible to set the "image status" to blank, or just like to old style "edit"?
i see the default actions is set image as "spoiler", atleast 3 users(or more?) was accidently set the image as spoiler,
because they want to edit the image informations.
and by the way, tagging team cannot remove spoiler, right?

2. the Themes/artists/sources tag page, now is not categorized as A,B,C...,but display 100 tags per page, which reminds me the *booru imageboard, browsing tag is much more difficult now :shock: