Shuushuu Points! (April Fool's 2009!)

Important stuff goes here?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Shuushuu Points! (April Fool's 2009!)

Post by anonymous_object »

Hey guys, we've got some site changes that will be implemented over the next few days.
The biggest change is that shuushuu will be introducing a new points system for image viewing, somewhat similar to Animepaper's setup.

Points will be used for viewing and downloading full images from the image board. Each image will cost a certain amount (based on file size) to view. Points can be earned by uploading high quality new images, posting constructive comments, and, most importantly, by donating to shuushuu!

***Image Prices***
-25 points = 50KB or less
-50 points = 51-150KB
-75 points = 151-500KB
-100 points - Anything above 500KB

***How to get Points***
-Each image upload is worth 100 points
-Each comment is worth 5 points
-Every $1 you donate to shuushuu gets you 300 points

Once you use up all your points, you will not be able to view anymore images (just thumbnails). Don't worry, you can always purchase new points at that time to reset your quota!

I know not everyone will like these new changes, but bandwidth costs have gone up and we need a way to offset the leechers. Since Animepaper seems very popular with this type of system, we're confident that Shuushuu can make the transition as well.

ADantes and I will be working to get the system implemented over the next day or so. It should be fully active by April 2. We've added a counter to the main page for now so you can see how many images you normally view in a 24 hour period and to determine how much you will need to contribute.
e-shuushuu!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Re: Shuushuu Points!

Oh yeah, forgot to add that any images that you upload and get disabled for either being reposts or inappropriate will not give you points. Also, any comments that get deleted for spam will not get you points.
e-shuushuu!
erkeni

Post by erkeni »

a question : the image we post before will not give any points?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

We decided that wasn't a good idea. Not everyone that has participated in the past has been active lately. So we decided that everyone will start with 500 points.
e-shuushuu!
Kagemaru

Post by Kagemaru »

I must say that I thought that this was a day early april fools joke. Earning points to see images? Sounds like a very awkward system to me. Then again, I've never been to this animepaper site you're talking about, so I wouldn't really know.

Also, does this also apply to moderators and/or tagging team members? Since we're the ones who actually have to see an image and judge it before we can take action, it would seem pretty annoying if that can't be done because of lack of points. Same would go for the tagging team members.
Sig made by drake-sama~! ^_________^
Yuka-Chan

Post by Yuka-Chan »

I agree with Kagemaru =.="
i dont like the new system :(
‎A moment of beauty Still it remains only a memory
A stunning artifact of the past The one, the true, the last
Did I have to trust you?
Truly and madly and blindly
erkeni

Post by erkeni »

The system is quite good, since everyone have to contribute to use the board. :)

But (like Kagemaru stated), the tagging team and moderators would have problem of lack of points if keep viewing images that are uploaded.
Or, moderators/tagging team have to keep uploading images and posting comments to get back the points to view images that are uploaded by other members.
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

My two cents: I have no problem donating money when my funds allow as you have seen in the past, but honestly, being essentially forced to donate smells of a subscription fee (what with the emphasis heavily built on giving cash donators, it's obvious which one you're gunning for).

I don't like the idea one bit, and I can tell you it's going to impact my Shuu viewing habits more than it is how much money I donate. Maybe that's what you want, I dunno, but it doesn't make me terribly happy, and to be perfectly blunt with you it makes me less likely to want to donate.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Kagemaru wrote:I must say that I thought that this was a day early april fools joke.
Hmmm, it is already April 1st in some places... Time zones are fun.
Kagemaru wrote:Earning points to see images? Sounds like a very awkward system to me. Then again, I've never been to this animepaper site you're talking about, so I wouldn't really know.
Well, I know it's not the most elegant solution but hopefully this new system will help make me filthy rich. When that happens, I can assure you that I will have enough money to pay for all the servers and bandwidth won't be a problem anymore. I mean, Animepaper seems to be doing pretty well with it.
e-shuushuu!
Tavernknight

Post by Tavernknight »

I agree with wrexness. I think this will do more to drive users away than encourage them to donate or contribute.

I also think commenting on images should give more. Its hard to comment constructively on an image when all you can see is the thumbnail.

*gets out detective spyglass and PEERS OMINOUSLY at anony*
However this does remind me of other pranks on a certain day perpetrated by the administration here.
*sniff sniff*
Indeed.
Ecchi Knight of ShuuShuu.
MBF

Post by MBF »

Okay, so the timing seems fishy, that doesn't mean anything. Infact, these new rules will make people double check the rules to see if the image that they're going to be uploading is sutible for the board. Course, it doesn't affect me too much.
Feel Free to add me to MSN, but leave your E-Shuu^2 SN on so I know who you are.
kixor

Post by kixor »

I think this is a good idea.

Over the past 4 years, Anony has paid most of the server costs. I'm surprised it has taken this long before something was done about it.
Ran

Post by Ran »

I'm not really opposed to this system. Nobody is forcing you to donate money. Just commenting and posting images as an active user will net you enough points for daily images.
Dango

Post by Dango »

Just 2 little comments: 1. how do i know how many points do i have left? the site shows me how many i have download in weight but not in points so i cant not if download a certain image or let it be so i can download another one that i like more...
EDIT: i just read the last part of anonymous_object post u can ignore that ^
anonymous_object wrote:Since Animepaper seems very popular with this type of system, we're confident that Shuushuu can make the transition as well.
thats true but thats its as well the main reason that many ppl dont use it (incluiding me) since they dont have the resources or time to upload images or make productive comments on the images...
Lio Tsuki

Post by Lio Tsuki »

About the points...Where do we find out how much we have so far? Because if you're out of points, and/or don't know how much you have left, then it'll be a bit confusing.
Little Miss Morbid
sig by Sekai <3