MoeDB

Important stuff goes here?
Merun

MoeDB

Post by Merun »

A few years ago, the moderation and tagging team had and still have a problem: the wiki. Wikis are great to write articles and store non organised informations. But if we look at the current state the wiki, it's anything but unorganised. It's not a well thought interfaces. Truth is the wiki is not the appropriate tool needed for e-Shuushuu.

Thus, I have a project called MoeDB which is almost in a working state. What is it? It's a a replacement for the wiki, or at least the referencing part, meaning artists, circles, studios, work. That's more than 25 000 items which I have migrated to a new database. Focus are on artists at the beginning.

What does it mean for you? Lots of things.
First, it's easier to edit. No more wiki template. Each field will have its input like a real form with auto suggestion for existing circles/studios
Secondly, it will be closer to the source! MoeDB is not a website but service by design. Thanks to this, it will be possible to create a new artist entry directly from Pixiv. From here, you can imagine what is possible, like prefilling websites and other information without any copy/paste.
Third, one source of truth. If you use my Greasemonkey script which adds romanji name on Pixiv or directly onto Shuu, it will be up to date with MoeDB.

Wildest dream? You better dream, but perhaps one day you will be able to run your own imageboard on your computer, with everything already tagged.

Great! So, when do we start? Soon. I have migrated the wiki, you can add/edit and list artist and... also delete.

There is a lot of hurdle on the way for a v1.
-Access control: Anyone can edit at the moment. I plan to have roles: members, contributors, moderators, administrator
-Graphical interface: Lack some basic functions like search and paging.
-Design: I'm alone and have little time for design.
-Test: Little time to test as well.

So my main problem is time. In the last 2 weeks I managed to work 2 to 4 hours every evening but it's not a sustainable habit. So I need some help, mainly testers, and if you feel like it, developers( Javascript, Nodejs/iojs with sails, Angular, LESS, Bootstrap, PostgreSQL).

Here you can access it:
https://moedbcc.herokuapp.com/#/artist

Warning, it's unstable, so you can mess with it but don't expect the data to remain there. You should continue to edit the wiki but ultimately, it should replace it.
Merun @ Twitter
RockRabbit

Re: MoeDB

Post by RockRabbit »

; v ; it looks complex...
i am excited for this tho! sounds like something that will be awesome working at full force
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Merun

Post by Merun »

RockRabbit wrote:; v ; it looks complex...
i am excited for this tho! sounds like something that will be awesome working at full force
Hehe, thanks, this is always encouraging.

I just had a little hour, so I added a few more fields and paging!

Also, I need help from wiki rangers. I need a run down of the different format people write their article in. For instance, some always start a list with a star even if there is one element, some don't. There is also a misc section which is a bit of a holdall field and this is a problem for me. I can extract E-shuushuu tags from it ( sorry but current database migration failed to get those ) but I also found Toranoana links: http://e-shuushuu.net/wiki/index.php/Adumi_Tohru or http://e-shuushuu.net/wiki/index.php/Tiv . If possible, I need a list of everything I can get from that field.
Merun @ Twitter
yong

Post by yong »

@Merun
May be an extra enrty for the Toranoana/Melonbook? *Time to bug eva again
i added them to misc. field because i thought it only belongs to misc section xD

Anyway the links to Melonbooks does not work anymore after the site upgraded.
Emii

Post by Emii »

Merun, your Moe method sounds fantastic, but I'm still a bit confused due to the complexity.
I will try my best, but I do want to ask, what exactly do you mean by some people leaving in or out the asterisk?

I want to be able to help as much as I can since I care for the Wiki a lot! ;v;
Merun

Post by Merun »

Emii wrote:Merun, your Moe method sounds fantastic, but I'm still a bit confused due to the complexity.
I will try my best, but I do want to ask, what exactly do you mean by some people leaving in or out the asterisk?

I want to be able to help as much as I can since I care for the Wiki a lot! ;v;
Leave the complexity to me, that's my daily job. Making complex things simple. ( and damn MoeDB is simple compared to some of the stuff I do... ). Only things you need to know is it shall replace the wiki and if you use all the associated tools, then creating and keeping stuff up to date will be easier.

As for the asterisk, it's the one use on the wiki to do bullet list.

Like :

Code: Select all

*name1
*name2
The problem is when there is only one name, because some write

*name
or

name
It might not seems much but there is a bit of implication when I unleash my crawler on the wiki. Though I guess I will end up just managing both cases so that I don't mis anything.

It also seems like I will have to ignore Melonbook's link :(. On the other hand... I can unleash another crawler to make them hehehehe...
Merun @ Twitter
yong

Post by yong »

The links to Melonbook will be fixed, it's easy.
Should i do it later or just edit it on the MoeDB? xD
Merun

Post by Merun »

yong wrote:The links to Melonbook will be fixed, it's easy.
Should i do it later or just edit it on the MoeDB? xD
It doesn't really matter when it's done. If you are a recipe to correct all links, by just reformating the URL, then I can even automate it during the crawling.
Merun @ Twitter
Merun

Post by Merun »

I was very busy during the week so not much work done. I added a few placeholder for future pages, but most of my work was on the register/login part. It's a bit tricky as it's not a traditional website; I'm not going to use cookie or sessions but an API key. Doesn't change much for people, but it's better to plug Pixiv Fetcher and other client directly to MoeDB.
Merun @ Twitter
Merun

Post by Merun »

Hm, I guess you know by now that I'm a quick mood switcher. Right now, I'm turning a page in my life, so I would like to clean a bit behind me.

I'm not going to work on this idea any longer. I'm sorry if I kept your expectation up, but beyond the idea and some intellectual curiosity, there is really nothing which can fulfil me. Alone I can't do it.
Merun @ Twitter