Important stuff goes here?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Site changes - 07/19/07 - mass tags, quick tags, etc

Post by anonymous_object »

Added some new features to the site:
-Mass image tagger for mods and taggers
-Quick tag feature for mods and taggers
-Limit set on how many images a user can upload each day (experimental)
-Added top images page (linked in nav menu)
Let me know if you spot any bugs.
Last edited by anonymous_object on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e-shuushuu!
amfest

Post by amfest »

Yay anony . .was wondering when you were going to add that top style page. and yay for upload limit XD that will really help the mods to enjoy their days more instead of finding reposts on tons of images posted by many users on certain days. Plus with so many images people seem to glaze over them and not enjoy them as much imo :( I'd rather everyone takes a chance to look over what's posted day by day and comment or rate. Brings everyone closer. :D. What's the max image number currently? is it by a 24 hours from your post or a specified time like resetting at midnight?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

amfest wrote:What's the max image number currently? is it by a 24 hours from your post or a specified time like resetting at midnight?
Currently set at 20 images per 24 hours as by the server's clock.
e-shuushuu!
Myu-chan

Post by Myu-chan »

Uooowww!!How many news!!I like:
-Mass image tagger for mods and taggers
-Quick tag feature for mods and taggers

The top rated image is cool too ^^~

But a question:
-Limit set on how many images a user can upload each day
Why this one?
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Myu-chan wrote:But a question:
Why this one?
Some mods requested this to prevent users from flooding the board with untagged images and reposts.
e-shuushuu!
Myu-chan

Post by Myu-chan »

anonymous_object wrote:Some mods requested this to prevent users from flooding the board with untagged images and reposts.
Ahhhhhh!!!Ok then ^^
amfest

Post by amfest »

I personally think 20 is still too high but hmm . .yea I know experimental. but if 3 users decide to post max amount and don't really tag that's still 60 images to go through.

Still maybe somehow it can relate to how many pics you post and how many tags you use? Like if I upload images and tag them I can post to max but if I post images and don't tag them at all it reduces the number I can post. So if I tag I can post 20 images but for every untagged image I might get a -2 hit to my max pic count.

but I can still use a saving D10 roll and maybe I can slay the dragon ..err I mean .. well you know what I mean XD
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Myu-chan wrote:But a question:
Why this one?
I'll be honest and state I requested and advocated this be tried out. Next to the fact we've recently seen an increase of newer members who understandably need some time to get used to the rules and workings of the board, I have the distinct impression that lately we often get days where over 200 images get posted in less than 24 hours and a lot of people make floods. This alas at times to the detriment of sources, tags, reposts checks or even plain image quality! (Image quality has been going down lately in general. Perhaps some people feel more is better and prefer quantity over quality -such is their right. )

As a mod handling so many images a day requires quite a bit of time and effort which may not always be freely available, and personally I'm selfish enough to want my job as a mod remain a fun one and not turn into some time consuming, boring chore. (And it's always best to have at least 1-3 mods be able to go over an entire days worth of images, not everyone spots everything all at once or reads up on text posts afterwards.)
I've read enough post by regular members too who are often flabbergaster or despair at the number of pages they have to wade through if they've been away for but a few days. It has to stay fun for them especially!

I did not suggest this in any way as a form of control over posting members, I suggested it to keep shuushuu fun for mods and members alike and hope a side effect may be that people will spend some more time in uploading better quality images instead of just flooding because they can.

I think it's worth trying out. You're welcome to disagree and/or have your own opinion.
Myu-chan

Post by Myu-chan »

-clap clap clap- Good Smithy-san,good!Now I understand.This remember me in Advanced Anime,each user can just post 3 pics by day.
topzter

Post by topzter »

nice feature updates anony
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Post by Evangeline Mcdowell »

How about a counter to tell you how many uploads you have left of your daily upload count?

lol, being ambitious here but maybe max upload count can be modified by doing doing good stuff.... like maybe getting 100 of your images rated a 4-5 gives you +5 on your max upload count. (And maybe gives you upload ranks) So, the better the quality of images you post, the more you can post
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

...though, not everyone ranks images and there are people who do it just for fun. So giving counters depending on image rating might be a bit biased. >
>_< Just my thoughts.
(sick and tired of AP ranking/rating system)

-

Also, maybe a notice on saying how many you can upload would really help.
So this way, you would really choose wisely on what you want to upload to maintain quality and rare images.
amfest

Post by amfest »

Evangeline Mcdowell wrote:How about a counter to tell you how many uploads you have left of your daily upload count?

lol, being ambitious here but maybe max upload count can be modified by doing doing good stuff.... like maybe getting 100 of your images rated a 4-5 gives you +5 on your max upload count. (And maybe gives you upload ranks) So, the better the quality of images you post, the more you can post
I agree with solwyern on this one. Besides this is about cutting the load on the mods and such and working the overall search for images. I think my method would be a better reward system but would only be a daily thing and maybe have a max amount you can raise it by.

A counter yes would be great.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

I'm not sure I want any sort of automated reward system. Those are just asking to be abused. Users could create any number of bogus accounts and just use them to top rate all their images to get their status raised.

Right now, I can make changes the max upload limit for any user. I think, if anything, this is something that should be merit based and decided by the mods with input from the community if necessary.
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Evangeline Mcdowell wrote:lol, being ambitious here but maybe max upload count can be modified by doing doing good stuff.... like maybe getting 100 of your images rated a 4-5 gives you +5 on your max upload count.
While I can understand what you mean and the idea has some merit, the idea behind a daily upload limit isn't to punish or reward anyone. It's just that I personally feel lately there's a visible increase in people who post a mass of images just for the sake of posting or as if it's some sort of race to upload more than the others.
Sometimes stuff seems to be uploaded just because it's possible, and people just flood because they can and not because they are adding good quality images.

And also, really let's be honest, isn't 20 images per day per user more than enough? How many really have over 20 good images to post every day that not being able to hinders them? I think we have to be realistic here and see that 20 images is certainly enough and people can always wait until the next day to add more if they've e.g. found an artbook with 30 great scans.
amfest wrote:Besides this is about cutting the load on the mods and such and working the overall search for images.
Not really only the mods but the members as well. I mean when you browse shuushuu once a day or let's say 2-3 times a week and you have to wade through 200-500 images, do you really have the time to open them all, appreciate them, comment on and save those you like?
I suspect more and more people just flip through entire pages without really having time to look at them.
solwyvern wrote:Also, maybe a notice on saying how many you can upload would really help.
So this way, you would really choose wisely on what you want to upload to maintain quality and rare images.
That's in fact what I was kind of hoping for, people actually looking again at adding good, unique images, either high resolution or really cute stuff.
And not just dump the latest 50 google image search results for 'nekomimi with sword' because zOMG another person posted a flood of the last batch of 75 Naruto's character x with character y fanarts.