Online Manga Viewing sites being shut down

Other misc discussion
LilFlow

Online Manga Viewing sites being shut down

Post by LilFlow »

Originally Posted by Zabi on the main site
It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July '10).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.

As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!

Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.

- Zabi
I thought that it was important to mention this here seeing as a lot of viewers are being shut down recently, OM being the second popular site to go (MangaToshokan being the first) along with its sister site 1000Manga.

As far as people know MangaFox is staying for the time being because the main server is in China rather than the US or where ever the other sites were based; however, people aren't sure how long publishers are going to let this continue. They really are serious about having viewing sites shut down this time.
It's also thought that Scanlators are going to be targetted as well, but that's not entirely certain at this point in time.

Any more news is appreciated seeing as I'm off on holiday tomorrow night for a couple of weeks.
(I might still be online during that time, I'm not sure whether the place I'm going to in France has free WiFi or not ^^;;)
RockRabbit

Re: Online Manga Viewing sites being shut down

Post by RockRabbit »

. _ .
seppuku time for me.
my country has no manga stores and the only way for me to get manga now is to purchaise it online. and with the shipping and everything else it will cost me way too much ;A;
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

At least Romania has one manga store...

Also there is always the option to DOWNLOAD~ But if the three main manga's become unavailable... Bleach, Naruto and One Piece... that would be serious... or we can just wait untill it's made anime.

Anyway I'm not really into manga, so...
Myu-chan

Post by Myu-chan »

Well, soon I'll not be able to read yaoi anymore. Because in Brazil they'll never publish yaoi, only Gravitation, and that was a real conquer.
Another problem of mangas being published here is that they are too expensive (at least for me). I bet that's why most of people read manga online. If they down the price we may talk again about this whole thing.
Rikenta

Post by Rikenta »

So disappointing. Manga is very expensive down here and there is very little of it >.<U (Come on, $15 dollars for a really thin one, while you can get a huge one for like $9 in Japan)
demon lord ghirahim
Andell

Post by Andell »

I was sad as well to learn about it. Onemanga made me discover many series I'd otherwise never even hear about. I wouldn't have touched most of them at all, judging by the cover and description... Actually... I'd never have started reading mangas if not for the site. :(

I'll miss it so much...
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Funny... let me quote something...
2ch wrote: “Won’t they just start another site under a new name?”

“The biggest illegal distributor online, eh? Hurry up and destroy the rest.”

“Teach them the consequences of serious crime!”

“Just deleting them won’t stop it – the data will live on forever. You have to put in place fines and make it a serious crime or you’ll never stamp it out. It’s the same with music and movies.”

“With the major source gone I expect the small ones will die off too.”

“Scanlation won’t disappear, but a billion monthly page views is obviously going too far.”

“The industry has brought this strange situation upon itself by not seeking damages. Being forced to pay damages would have set a precedent and discouraged them from being so brazen.”

“Now get rid of Megauploader – they are busy making money off fansubs!”

“Manga is wasted on foreigners. Those outside Japan should stick to reading manhwa!”

“With a billion page views they must have been rolling in it. Best to sue them.”

“The reason it came to this is probably because this content is only that of the yellow races. They should have sued first like Nintendo. They’ve probably got used to scanlation so it’s no good now.”

“Good move. Now do it more with music and movies too.”

“It’s the fault of those idiot publishers for doing nothing. Whilst Hollywood was busy protecting its copyrights they just let it slide. You reap what you sow.”

“With the strong yen they are probably aiming to curb Japanese copying.”

“The disease has spread too far – the market seems to be collapsing like that of anime. It’ll be layoffs and bankruptcies from here on.”

“They enjoy making scanlations – it’s like a club activity to them.”

“It’s like that for fansubs too, but they’re all saying they are helping propagate them. Even the guys writing ero-doujinshi don’t think like that.”

“If you don’t release simultaneously with the Japanese release they will pirate them. They are that committed.”

“They get them even faster than the Japanese regions do. It’s too much…”

“What a bunch of crooks. They make a fortune off donations and advertising revenue. They pretend they are creators and heroes. I want to watch Hollywood movies and American dramas at the same time as their US release. Of course, for free.”

“Overseas manga is ridiculously expensive, so that’s probably behind One Manga’s popularity. However you look at it, ¥2,000 for a single volume is way too much.”

“If the prices drop they’ll just start using censorship as an excuse instead.”

“They wouldn’t buy even if it were cheap. Their anime is far cheaper than in Japan and they still won’t buy.”
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

where was that written? o_O
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

I put it in the quote!! XD 2ch = 2channel ... 4chan's predecesor. And it's a Japanese site.
Yatchen

Post by Yatchen »

I was out of town when this first happened. I came home, found this out, and someone trolled me that ANN got sued for reviewing fansubs. What's this anime world coming to? ;w;

Anyway, I have a feeling we'll be seeing this happening more and more. I also think that we will probably, eventually, see perhaps a manga version of Crunchyroll? Where it's actually legal to read? Personally, I wouldn't mind paying for a monthly subscription to a site that lets me read things I'm never going to find in the store.

I've also signed up for the online version of Yen Plus, and I've started looking for scanlator websites to get info...got to do anything we can for our manga, right? ;)
私は悪魔です。
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

Or you could just visit scanlators sites more and learn IRC.

^^;

I don't underestimate the internet. It'll always find a way to share files.
Myu-chan

Post by Myu-chan »

AngelLily wrote:Or you could just visit scanlators sites more and learn IRC.
You got a point there, but I'm afraid of the scanlators stop doing scans because people keep uploading their works at those sites. Like CoyoMoose Scans. I'm not saying that all the scanlators do that, but what if they decide to do the same? They don't need to worry about OM anymore, but we still have Mangafox and Mangatraders.

But as you say, "I don't underestimate the internet". And me neither.
AriaHime

Post by AriaHime »

I came back from vacation, and saw that notice on OneManga, and was very surprised. /understatement
But seriously, I kind of never expected it to happen...I figured that companies care about copyright, but then they could be doing a Google search, finding a bunch of pirated copies of their stuff, and issuing a bunch of warnings. But they didn't. So it kind of seemed like they didn't give a damn. *shot* I don't really know what's changed. OneManga said something about the publishing industry changing their stance on scans...I don't know.
Well, I'm probably one of the people who has the least right to complain, cause I live where there are lots of bookstores and lots of stuff gets licensed-namely, the U.S.
2ch...really...said...that...0.o
dearlordtheworldasIknowitisending!!!!!!!!
How the hell does a broken heart
get back together when it's torn apart?
Teach itself to start
Beating again...
Sakurachii

Post by Sakurachii »

This is really bad x.x

In my country there's not many good manga (just the usual stuff like Naruto, One Piece, NANA, blah blah) if all the online-manga-reading websites start shutting down I don't know how I'll (and many many people will) keep reading manga :/

Hope things work out in the end...geez.
sakurachii/ minsu / hyonnie
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

So I can consider myself lucky? Because the shop where I buy manga can bring any licenced manga by the US in stock. Hmm... or I can just resort to e-bay/amazon ^^'