Iam from country X, ask me anything!

Other misc discussion
Crimson_Camelia

Re: Iam from country X, ask me anything!

Post by Crimson_Camelia »

@Tensa Let me guess - those villages are located near to Slovakia border? This tradition is mostly common among West Slavs (Poland, Czech, Slovakia), so I guess Hungarians might celebrate it in some of regions exactly from that reason.
In Poland there is no poem, but we also used to smack girls with thin twings, and it supposed to bring luck to girls.

Most traditional? Hmm... I guess it would be either our anthem or Rota (which is actually sometimes treated as "second" anthem). Both written while the period of Poland's partititions, but anthem is from the beginning of 19th century and Rota is from beginning of 20th century)
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

Fhant wrote:Okay Rock, I always under the impression that Bulgaria only had Goulash as traditional food. Could you share us some traditional Bulgarian dishes (possibly with recepies)?
my fave would be a summer soup called Tarator, made of traditional yoghurt (which is sour, dunno if other countries have it?), cucumbers and other things like garlic, dill and wallnuts (which i do not add, cuz they are super expensive nowadays, but restaurants still serve the soup with it).

also I am guessing you were maybe thinking of Gyuvetch? :D sounds similar to Goulash; it's pretty much hot pot with whatever you like. traditional versions usually have tons of different meat in them, like pork, lamb and rabbit, but i am a picky eater and mom usually makes them mostly with different types of veggies, some sort of sausage and an egg on top.

around Christmas, a very common dish is cooked and seasoned rice, stuffed inside dried peppers or cabbage/grape leaves. there's an "alternate" version of the dish, that uses beans instead of rice. all of this is then baked(?) inside an oven. this dish is called Sarmi
p.s. oh, we also have sarmi with minced meat

we also have a soup with Sarmi in it, but it's common only for a small region of the country; instead of regular cabbage leaves, we use pickled cabbage that is a common winter supply, we pickle a lot of veggies for the winter :D so the soup uses sarmi, sour yoghurt and the water from the cabbage to boost and it has a very sour taste, but it's one of the dishes i love best and i can eat it forever.

we also have tons of salads that use our traditional white cheese and quite often grilled peppers... I never understood the hype about grilled peppers in salad XD

oh, and soups! like tiny meatball soup, where you just make a regular veggie soup, but have little meatballs in it. man, i hated that when i was a kid :D

and meat dishes...so...many...meat dishes... ugh x_x

i can probably keep on writing and still not cover much of the topic, but here are two sites that have recipes, maybe you'll find something to your liking ^^
http://www.altours-bg.com/Altours_files ... ecipes.htm
http://www.findbgfood.com/bgmeals-favorites.htm
Crimson_Camelia wrote:Ah, Rabbit... I remember one of my lecturers (notabene, sworn translator to Bulgarian) mentioned something about Bulgarian having two dialects used in different parts of country, but didn't continue this topic. Will you be able to tell me something more about it? (^^)
if they were only two, it would've been too easy :lol:
we have quite a few more than that and they are some SO different from one another, that when a person, speaking in dialect A goes to place of dialect B, he can end up thinking he's in another country, that's the feeling you get, it's so super foreign xD my little 5-year-old self would know!
sadly, I am not sure I can tell you much, I barely traveled even inside the country :c currently many people in the capital look down on people from smaller towns who still use dialect words in everyday life and apparently, even after living for half a decade in the capital, I still have some dialect words in my dictionary as well, cuz sometimes, when I talk, a random "omg, are you from the northwest?!?!?! :o" would be heard. we have a very obvious dialect... :lol:
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Crimson_Camelia wrote:@Tensa Let me guess - those villages are located near to Slovakia border? This tradition is mostly common among West Slavs (Poland, Czech, Slovakia), so I guess Hungarians might celebrate it in some of regions exactly from that reason.
Well, there were good relations between Poland and Hungary back in the day. Slovakia was even part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.
It's not 'romanization', but culture exchange and creation followed by stabilization remains.
To answer your question though, I have no idea which villages still do it. I just know that some villages do it.
Bakemono

Post by Bakemono »

Tensa wrote:I'm from Romania, ask me anything!
There are dragons in romania, Tensa? :3

I'm from Brazil, if this thread still alive you can ask me anything you want.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

You're been reading too many Harry Potter fanfics!

And yes, there are =3 There was once a count that held that name, you know =3 He owned DRAGONS! And they still live to this day! Terribly misunderstood creatures, dragons.
Bakemono

Post by Bakemono »

Tensa wrote:You're been reading too many Harry Potter fanfics!

And yes, there are =3 There was once a count that held that name, you know =3 He owned DRAGONS! And they still live to this day! Terribly misunderstood creatures, dragons.
Woah, I always wanted to visit Romania to meet dragons. Incredible creatures they are.<3
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
nardack2009

Post by nardack2009 »

I am from Libya, Ask me anything. ^^
Aizawa

Post by Aizawa »

Wow, that's pretty far from me! So what's the climate like there?
Kiss and tell, isn't it far from here to hell?
nardack2009

Post by nardack2009 »

Yes, very far away.
The climate here is desert climate, Hot in summer and cold in winter.
In summer it is very hot sometime the temperature reachs to 45 C or almost 50 C so it is so hot, in winter it is too cold. Temperature in winter is 15 C or higher.
Honestly i have never seen real snow in my life, just rain but snow never, there just little places here that people saw snow.
So believe me you'll never want to live here. ^^