How is Your Day Going? Wrath of the Smecchi's

Other misc discussion
canis

Re: How is Your Day Going? Wrath of the Smecchi's

Post by canis »

Starting tomorrow I will go on a classtrip to ireland. ^o^
I wanted to visit Ireland for years so I was very happy when the teacher chose it as our classtrip destination.
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Right now I'm working full time over the summer. Very exhausting. @_@ Though I was pleasantly pleased though. One of our users had his laptop stolen the other day, so in the meantime we've gotta set him up with a new one (so he can work, also assuming he won't get his old one back).

I was originally scheduled to set up a brand new user coming in on Monday, but my senior decided I should build him instead. The thing is, one of our contractors was available to set him up if necessary... but said senior felt the stolen laptop replacement was more important, so she gave me the task instead. So long story short, she has more faith in me, a relatively cheaply paid student, over a much more costly contractor. So that was a boost to my ego. ^^

Also, as I said in the RP thread, Thursday I'm going to Chicago for ACen. Anony'll be there too, though we're going separately~. XD
Lio Tsuki

Post by Lio Tsuki »

I've been reading fanfiction for the past few...hours, and I finally stopped. 8D ....for now. xD
Little Miss Morbid
sig by Sekai <3
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

Today, electricity has been dead for over 24 hrs due to the typhoon, leaving me with nothing but a good book, for the whole day. ><;

Anyway, any e-chuuchuuans from Singapore?

I'm going to Singapore on the 23rd for about a week.. maybe I'll get to meet someone.
(There's innominate, but I'm not sure if he'll be available. >.< )

XD;
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

ctrl c + ctrl v from my LJ:

I figured it was time for an actual update, and while I'm still consciously avoiding my work, I thought it was best to do it now.

Hi. My name's Lily (not really, but you get the picture) and I'm 19 years old. I'm on the second year of college, majoring on English and Portuguese. I'm still loving the damn thing, but this semester was so very tiring, I just couldn't believe it. It's not just me thinking this, though. All of my classmates are exhausted, we just want the damn semester to end already. Unfortunately, we still have almost a month to go. There were so many "Damn, I think I'm going to give up" speeches, I just don't know who's going to come back after winter break (that's in June, people, south hemisphere, winter in June, etc etc).

The main cause of our problems was a new "subject" they inserted this semester for the first and second years. It's not really a subject in itself, but more like a very big project. The main idea of the project was really great and we were in fact interested, but there was a very big delay at the beginning, in which we didn't know exactly what to do, and neither did the teachers. We have a teacher to guide us through the whole project, but he spent so much time trying to explain to us what it was, even when we already had got the idea, that he took too long to start explaining the how. By the time we knew what we had to do, and it was a lot of researches and we were all really concerned about that, it was already the end of March. The project had 6 steps, and we hadn't even started the first one. We had to have the thing finished by the end of May.

We started to grow not only concerned, but desperate. Because every time we had a class with the guiding teacher, he demanded results. And while we were in fact producing, we didn't have anything to actually give him, and he was growing frustrated. Not to mention, it's not like this big project was going to keep the rest of the teachers from giving personal projects. We still had tests, presentations to prepare, and the work kept piling up. When we tried to complain about the amount of work we had to do? It was a disaster. The big project teacher said we were having self-pity, that we were exaggerating, even though we were honest and were just trying to tell him how scared we were. We told him how the other teachers weren't exactly giving guidance in how to perform the researches, and he demanded names, and oh God, people gave names. That was the worst thing they could have done. We ended up having a serious personal issue with the Theory of Literature teacher. It was ridiculous, I was at the verge of crying.

During all that, my stomachaches started growing worse, and I went to the doctor, and am now on two different medicines. And still, I have sleeping problems. I just keep waking up at night, not remembering if I had fallen asleep at all. I end up finally falling asleep at like, 5 am. On several nights.

Now the date of the big project presentation is nearing, and we still have many steps to complete. At least the part I had to write, the teacher was satisfied, and she gave a lot of tips on how to improve, and I was actually happy about that. Even though, now I have to practically re-write the whole thing, and that's still very damn tiring.

But we're going to make it. If the ending result is going to be good, I don't know. But we're still giving our best. And I just hope for the presentation to be over with, for the finals to be over with, so I can finally sleep.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

:( That sounds kind of rough Lily.
"Roger, Hawk leader. Ten seconds to departure."
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Sorry to hear that, Lily.

On my weekend, I spent it in Chicago at Anime Central.. I'll post some pictures in the goodies thread of the stuff I bought, and I'll post a write-up on the convention thread. But I'm too tired to do too much right now. @_@
canis

Post by canis »

I can imagine how annoying this situation must be. Students often have to suffer from teachers who don't really cooperate and just do their stuff not considering how much projects or homework another teacher is giving his students.
The problem is that things like that don't just happen in school/college but also in the working world, so you have to stay prepared for that all your life. In your job you might also have bosses/subordinates that order you to do different things than another one. Or if you have a job dealing directly with the costumer, like if you design websites, you also have to live with your costumers throwing off the set plan several times and are being forced to work overtime to finish in time.
I'm not saying this to drag you down. I want to say that you are not alone with this matter. And I think that each time you somehow managed to get through a situation like that, you are better prepared for the next time. I wish you good luck for the rest of the project.
By the way, I took "Valerian" drops (in German it's called "Baldrian", I don't know what other names it has worldwide) in my exam time to sleep better and I can really only recommend them, they DO work.
You have to take them for several days though before you see the first results, but they not only make you fall asleep easier, but also make you be calmer in general. In Germany (and I think in most other countries too) you can buy them in any normal drug store, they are not considered as drug or medicine but as nutritional supplement.

Yesterday I returned from my class trip to Ireland. There is so much to tell that I'm not sure where to start and I'm actually still pretty exhausted and after catching up with all new posts in the forum I'm abit tired now and rather tell you more on another day about it.
Just one general thing I'd like to say is that I really regretted going there with my class. I should have refused to go on the class trip and save that money to make a private trip there. =/ My classmates turned out to be worse jerks than I considered them as and if we went somewhere together I kept having my head holding down in embarrassment for they were just loud, rude and such, like shouting stuff at random people on the street. =_= They were acting worse then a bunch of apes... and we are not a 7th grade, none of those guys is younger than 22! X_X
Temmy

Post by Temmy »

I'm questioning whether I should pursue a 'professional' career in the video game industry lately. (as a music composer, sound programmer or anything music related in the field)

I've never worked in a high-output environment before, but that's one of the main things a vg composer has to deal with, considering how much more material that's required for a single game compared to other media. I'm unsure whether the pressure will end up as being a motivation/inspiration for me, or if I'll collapse and just compose same old same old stuff. D:

I got a job offer from a company to compose a few tracks for a MMORPG a few days ago and even though I've already accepted it, I don't know if I want to compose music for a living. All the ramblings of the "ugly side" of being a professional from one of my teachers are flooding my mind, lol. :(
Last edited by Temmy on Tue May 20, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

>_> You're not the only one who has those kinda second thoughts. I'm a programmer, but I too thought that I'd love a career in games... then I took a game class this semester and the professor really took it out of the world of the ideal. The average career length for a game programmer is apparently on the scale of 3-5 years before suffering burnout and getting out of games. @__@ (Though on the plus side, apparently having spent that time in games is a HUGE plus to other companies because it shows you are able to handle an extremely high pressure environment.)
kawaii-star

Post by kawaii-star »

Their are many little parts to a career in video games, it just depends on which ones you want to do. Programming is pretty much THE hardest part of it all, and I really regret going into programming as it kills me. Pretty hard stuff. Wish i went with graphics design /3D modeling stuff like I intended >_>.
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Programming? Hard? XD Just messing with ya~. Programming is one of those fields where either it's a total struggle, or it just comes naturally, and there isn't a whole lot in between. The thing about it is that you have to have a real solid mind for logic, and being good with the maths and sciences doesn't hurt either. Picking up a programming language is easy enough (you can break the syntax down to just a few pages of text for any given language, really), the hard part is learning/using the algorithms and the just the general problem solving nature of it. Oh, and efficiency is always a factor, especially in a real-time medium like games. XD Not only does it have to work, but it has to work quickly and effectively.
Ararara-ra

Post by Ararara-ra »

MY MOBBO DIED!

T_T

After that I installed the CPU, hoping to save it, in another Motherboard and guess what?

The CPU was acting up too. *sighs*

Now these are the new stats of my just recently assembled PC.

Motherboard: DFI Lanparty Dk x38-T2R
CPU: Intel Dual Core 3.0ghz LGA775 socket
RAM: 4gigs (2x2) Patriot latency 4-4-4-12
HD: Seagate 500 gig

And the Video card.. the only thing I had to sacrifice on and get a cheap one, well... it was a used one from my friend...

Evga Nvidia 8800 GTS... *sighs*

Anyways~

I am still working on some minor (I hope they are minor) software compatibility issues. It seems that my spyware program doesn't want to get along with my antivirus. Oh well, I'll see you guys around with new 4komas as soon as this is resolved~~

~_~

-Ara
My little 4koma paradise
Current status: Hiatus! AGAIN!

My tweeter
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Sounds like an unpleasant situation Lily, I'm sorry to hear that. I reckon it's especially frustrating since you're in a class group and what other students due will alas also reflect on you, which may lead you to kbelieve and realize your good work and behaviour could be partially harmed by them.

Alas what canis says is true, in the professional world this also happens. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, I notice this at work quite often, it only takes for one team meber to slack and not care, but the faults and blames will be put on the entire team.

While it's definitely easier said than done, do try to not let yourself be stressed by it because if you already suffer from physical ailments and lack of sleep now, it might be worse once you set off into the professional world. I know saying "don't get stressed" and "try not to care" sounds odd and is a simplistic view of it, it's nonetheless the best thing to do.
This doesn't mean one shouldn't try to enjoy their studies or work and put n the necessary care to deliver a good performance, but it is advised to try and find the ideal balance so that negative elements such as stress and suffering becaus eone cares about it do not come into play to bring you down. Granted, this is often not easy, but still, we all should try to achieve that as it will most likely bring us healthier and happier lives.

Sorry to hear your class trip wasn't so enjoyable due to your classmates childish behaviour canis. (At 22 years old one would expect better indeed.)
Well, you could have told the locals that you were a guidance counseler on a trip with a class of mentally handicapped youths. :lol:

[Ayaka Yukihiro]Perhaps next time you could better go on ydillic trips to warm tropical paradises with the likes of Smithy onee-sama. Ohohohoho![/Ayaka Yukihiro]
j/k :P

Hope you're able to find out what you really want to do Temmy. Quite often one can have a passion, liking something but once you make into your profession it no longer seems to be it as fun as it used to be due to all the negative aspects that come with at that time.
Try and figure out what you best like and want to do, follow your heart and mind (and if necessary ultimately follow your heart, it might be a hard choice but in the end should bring the most happiness).

I do envy people that have discovered a passion they're good at and can perform it professionally making their life much enriched and almost a breeze in terms of such happiness. I've yet to discover what it is I really am good at and want to do, and I think I'm quite a bit older than most of you, so don't despair if you haven't found it yet.
Many of us spend their lives often changing direction which gives them a vast array of different experiences which also enriches their lives.

Ararara-ra, both motherboard and CPU damaged? Possibly one of both might have taken the other with it during a failure. (Power issues on the motherboard can damage the CPU.)
Lol, a 8800GTS is still quite good, I don't think there's too many games that will perform poorly with that card.

Are you using a different OS that you have software incompatibilities? If you use a good antivirus on Windows and are a bit careful about your webbrowsing you shouldn't really need an anti-spyware.
Ararara-ra

Post by Ararara-ra »

Smithy wrote: Ararara-ra, both motherboard and CPU damaged? Possibly one of both might have taken the other with it during a failure. (Power issues on the motherboard can damage the CPU.)
Lol, a 8800GTS is still quite good, I don't think there's too many games that will perform poorly with that card.

Are you using a different OS that you have software incompatibilities? If you use a good antivirus on Windows and are a bit careful about your webbrowsing you shouldn't really need an anti-spyware.
I thought that too so I went ahead and got a new PSU while I ordered the parts. Can't take any risks.

But my dream card was a Nvidia 9600 GT!! T___T OH! God! Why must I be poor?

The problem is that I was forced to use a copy of XP that came with another computer, you know those OEM pre-installed versions and it seems that the copy itself had a corrupted rundll32.exe, took me a while to figure that out.
Changed the rundll32.exe by getting a copy from a friend and everything is working just fine :p I am a protection freak... I am behind 2 firewalls, 1 physical and 1 software. Got 2 Antivirus programs running and love to get into dangerous sites T___T Oh wait, the last one is more of a defect than a benefit.. *sighs*

@Lily

Woah >.>

The only words of encouragement I can offer are: "Good luck!"
Wish I could be more eloquent and phrase myself better but I know that the only way to get over that is to get the project done.
Sadly, my university has a big problem with teacher->student favoritism and power struggles between the different departmental heads so, alas!, I know that the only solution is to push forward and graduate to get away from them.

Once more, good luck Lily.
My little 4koma paradise
Current status: Hiatus! AGAIN!

My tweeter