The Definition of Anime

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
Valea

The Definition of Anime

Post by Valea »

Hello I know e-shuushuu only allows anime images, but I would like to know what the e-shuushuu definition of the word "anime" is.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Re: The Definition of Anime

Post by anonymous_object »

Well, we don't really restrict to just anime. We allow anime, manga, and original art. The style is really what's important. We do allow some non-Japanese sources in on occasion. Avatar comes to mind as an example. I think you'll need to name the source if you want a more precise answer.
e-shuushuu!
Valea

Post by Valea »

In what occasions would you consider non-Japanese sources appropriate? Or, just give an example if you could.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Let's take some extreme case that we have on the board.

Isaac Clark from Dead Space ( R18 game by EA ) genderswapped with manga style drawing.
Merun @ Twitter
Tavernknight

Post by Tavernknight »

I would like to have more discussion and hopefully reach a clearer definition. It has been said that style is what is important but how exactly is this style "Anime or Manga or related" defined. Is it simply "Big eyes small mouth" or is it more than that? Betty Boop has big eyes and a small mouth. But I have a feeling she would be instantly disabled without much discussion.

And that also leads to the issue of image content and as it relates to anime or manga. I know the rules allow for more than just anime or manga characters, but where exactly is the line drawn.

So the rules are allow this:
http://e-shuushuu.net/image/149605/

But not this:
http://kamillyonsiya.deviantart.com/art ... d-93612568
I have been told that Holli Would is not anime or related.
I don't really see how Hairspray is.

Just for my clarification.
Also maybe we should move this thread to the image/art discussion.
Ecchi Knight of ShuuShuu.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Don't accelerate the debate. We are aware than Angelhalo777 is posting questionable image when it comes to style and anime. We are debating it in private between mods.
Merun @ Twitter
Tavernknight

Post by Tavernknight »

I just wanted to talk about this more myself and would like more than just the mods to be involved.

Do we allow for example Images of Bimbo from Exploitation Now?
That is leaving aside whether or not Poe would allow his work posted on sites other than his own. Purely based on the style of his drawing.

Whether it be Dragonball Z or Disney its all just animation.
As far as Manga goes its all just comics.
But in everyday conversation I usually use the term anime to refer to something Japanese in origin. I wouldn't call anything from a video game anime either.
Ecchi Knight of ShuuShuu.
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

Thinking about it, "Kill Bill" images have been posted before and no one's complained about them...

I think what should be allowed on the board is not limited to what's anime and manga, but it has to be related to Japan and its culture. Resident Evil isn't an anime, but it's a game and it was made there. Same with thousands of other game titles, such as Metal Gear or Kingdom Hearts, even if the latter has a very strong relation to Disney.

The main problem I have is when the source is way too far from the origin of all of those (anime, manga and games) and is drawn in what can be considered "debatable" anime style. Because anime style is beyond the big eyes.

The reason your picture was disabled, Tavern, is not only because it's not Japanese in origin, but because it's western in drawing style. Mulan pictures have also been disabled in the past. But how many Alice in Wonderland images do you see in this board? It's not Japanese in origin either, but it's drawn like it.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

If we were to allow any such images where the link to anime is so thin, then could we still speak of e-shuushuu as an image board with the main theme being cute anime girls? No, because then the theme would be so watered down e-shuushuu would become the next free-for-all/anything goes image board.