Older Image Comments

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
softfang

Older Image Comments

Post by softfang »

Probably shouldn't bother asking, but... I feel I want to know.

Why can't we post comments on older images? It's not like it hurts anything...
DeviantArt Commissions OPEN | Remember 6.12.2016
Merun

Re: Older Image Comments

Post by Merun »

It doesn't hurt, but it's also useless.
Merun @ Twitter
softfang

Post by softfang »

Merun wrote:It doesn't hurt, but it's also useless.
I personally don't see the reason behind getting frustrated over comments on old pictures. If people want to comment, why stop them? That's kind of pointless in and of itself. So what if someone comments on a really old pic? It doesn't hurt. And they're just admiring the pic. Or giving useful info. Even if, at the time, the info wasn't necessary when shuu first started or whatever.

-Shrug- I'd rather drop the whole "YOU CAN'T COMMENT ON OLD IMAGES, STOP IT DAMN IT" attitude some people seem to carry when it happens... >3> I'd like to comment on things without getting scolded for expressing my love or info on a pic.
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Useful info? If it's useful info for Shuu use the Report function - Missing Tag Info.
And ... admiring? I think just fav.-ing it would do.
softfang

Post by softfang »

Tensa wrote:Useful info? If it's useful info for Shuu use the Report function - Missing Tag Info.
And ... admiring? I think just fav.-ing it would do.
Then we don't need a comment database at all.
Merun

Post by Merun »

*sigh* Ok I'm going to make a tldr guideline on how to use report and comment.

First and foremost, a comment has to be useful. It can express one's opinion on an image, or information. But in order for it to be useful, it has to read, that is, comments on recent image.

Information on E-shuushuu is basically anything about tags. Even if there is people like me who talk about release or event, it's a timed information meaning it has to be recent and visible as fast as possible. So for information, there is two way to contribute, and it's up to the user to judge which way to use; comment or report?

Repost, missing tag, rules infringement are not limited to report. If the image is recent, it's better to comment than report because it's visible to the uploader who then can read and eventually improve his tagging and/or behavior. The older the image becomes, the less likely the comment is going to be read, so it's better to use the report function.

Now for purely opinionated comment, they are useful for the community aspect of E-shuushuu. But once again, in order to be useful it has to be read. So it's the same scheme as information, except that the older it becomes, the less useful it's.

Now you may say that it doest bother anyone if you comment on old picture. Well wrong. Moderators review every images, read every comments, so yes we are going to scold people who add comments on old picture since it doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to the community, except hinder our job.
Merun @ Twitter
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

People frequently view the image board as essentially a fancy forum where the starter of each thread is required to post an image. As a result, behaviours and patterns from forums (like berating any one who necros a thread) cross over. Attempting to change group behaviour is a long, messy process that typically isn't worth the effort without a specific goal.

The only purpose of comments on the image board is to build a community type feel. I suppose the threads in response to e-chuuchuus are actually the desired outcome. If you foolishly ignore that goal, everything falls into a very small number of categories:
  • Off Topic - "Hey guys, I just got back from vacation!"
  • Belongs in the reporting system - "You should add 'long hair' and 'blue eyes'"
  • Comments on the picture that are essentially useless - "I really like this coloring style."
Julia

Post by Julia »

Eh, I really don't care that much if people make a "I like this pic" comment on an old image. I understand it bothers some people, but you'll never see me complain about it.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3