New thumbnails...

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
Julia

New thumbnails...

Post by Julia »

Image thumbnails are now layered on a white rectangle background instead of just being the thumbnail. This has the side effect of making IQDB or similar searches with the thumbnails not working.

Why was this changed? Can we get it changed back?
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Mistuya

Re: New thumbnails...

Post by Mistuya »

I would like to support this point about the thumbnails. It's not so bad with images with resolutions that almost fit the thumbnail size but the effect is staggering with horizontally/vertically long images. IQDB and Shuu's similar search still work to some extent but sometimes the image is so distorted that it won't pick up on Shuu's version.
Attachments
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (204.49 KiB) Viewed 46258 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (77.86 KiB) Viewed 46258 times
Julia

Post by Julia »

So I've still not heard back about this. It would be great to get at least some reason for the change.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Artifex

Post by Artifex »

I would like to bump this topic, as this is something I've been wondering myself. As was said before, it makes finding images on E-Shuushuu through iqdb difficult and sometimes impossible. The thumbnails looked cleaner without a white background, and I've seen the background change to different colors on a few occasions. It's hard to see any benefit or reason to this change in the thumbnails, so at least an explanation on why it happened would be appreciated.
"To love another person is to see the face of God." - Les Miserables

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. . . . There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." - Sam, The Two Towers
Merun

Post by Merun »

The only explanation I can think of is the normalisation of every thumbnail. To what purpose? I have no idea.
Merun @ Twitter
Artifex

Post by Artifex »

Thank you for giving a response, Merun. I do appreciate getting some input on the issue.

I was browsing the board today and spotted another thumbnail with a differently colored border:

http://e-shuushuu.net/image/633011/

At least it's a nice blue and not a blinding red this time. :P

And for what it's worth, I quickly looked and found what seems to be the first image thumbnail where all this started:

http://e-shuushuu.net/image/571029/

This is just a guess, but I wonder if the parameter code for the thumbnail dimensions was changed to require all thumbnails be a consistent 250x200 pixels, rather than allow variable dimensions. So now when the scaled down image doesn't fit those exact 250x200 pixel dimensions, it fills in the gaps with some sort of color to compensate (usually, but not always white, for whatever reason). If that is the case, it would seem it'd be easy enough to go in and change the parameters back to what they were before and get rid of the borders; but I'm just giving a stab in the dark here, so what do I know?

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. . . . There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." - Sam, The Two Towers
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

Fixed :)
e-shuushuu!
Artifex

Post by Artifex »

Thank you very much, anony!

Julia

Post by Julia »

Awesome! Much appreciated.