Reposts Out Of Control

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
Ran

Reposts Out Of Control

Post by Ran »

Really now, twice I have come on here and seen two full artbooks being posted merely days apart. The difference in size? About 200 pixels if even that. People need to learn to search before posting things up randomly. A repost here and there is fine, but if we already have a complete artbook/CG set, then don't post another one up just because it's a few pixels larger. Save the moderators the trouble of having to correct ignorance. :evil:

Cliff Notes
1. DO A SEARCH BEFORE POSTING IMAGES
2. If your image is just a little bit bigger, don't bother posting it.
canis

Post by canis »

I wonder where you make the border between "only a few pixel" or a large difference in quality.

I also reposted some pictures on purpose to replace the lower quality ones, but I did also give the link to the older picture in the post.
That way it doesn't really cause anyone extra trouble. (in some cases the original poster of the older image is even so nice to disable his old pictures by himself before a mod has to do it)

Well but as for those who never use image search first... =/
Feel reminded that image search exists and if the titles and char names where always filled in properly you should be able to see if the image you are going to post already exists. :wink:
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I do realize some of you may be a bit more lost in how to use the improved 'Search' engine since the last changes made by Anony. While the search function has become more powerful and precise, it does require a bit more effort and wits now to use (even I can still forget to do a correct or complementary search now and then, happens to everyone).

Don't forget now you have to use explicit wildcards, so add * for a wildcard.
Pay attention to the different selectable fields as they will yield different results.

Say you're looking for "Fate/Stay Night" images... you'd logically search the 'Image Descriptions' 'Anime/Manga' field (highlighted by default).
However if you now enter Fate/Stay Night, you'll only get those images that have as exact text Fate/Stay Night in their source field. Any image with e.g. Fate-Stay Night or Fate Stay Night won't come up in the results. So if you enter Fate* or fate*, you'll get all images that have the word fate followed by whatever other characters, which will also give you all "Fate/Hollow Ataraxia" images.
If you would search fate* and also highlight the 'Characters' field, you'd also get all images of "Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha" with its character Fate where her name is written in the 'Characters' field.

Or say you're looking for "Kannazuki No Miko" images... but it's sometimes written as kannazuki, sometimes as kannaduki. If you search for kanna*, you should get both spelling versions.
However, if you search for *miko or *miko* you'll also get all images with as descirption 'Miko - Shrine Maiden'.

Any questions regarding searches and how to do them, don't hesitate to ask a moderator or fellow board member. :)
canis wrote:I also reposted some pictures on purpose to replace the lower quality ones, but I did also give the link to the older picture in the post.
Which is always appreciated by everyone, rest assured. :)
I'm sure most of us prefer to have the highest quality image possible, but when posting larger/more high resolution images with the purpose of replacing a prior one, it's indeed best to either provide a link to the previous image if readily found and possible, or just to add a comment to let people know the image was being added to replace a smaller one.
bob-omb

Post by bob-omb »

lets say im looking for catgirls

if i put

*catgirl* wont that already give me all the possible catgirl images?
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I know Smithy already explained Wildcards, but I'm going to as well.

Let's assume that I am looking for pictures from a specific game, however, I do not know the full name of it.

Three scenarios.

Scenario One:
I know the first part of the name. It is Parfait.
The first thing I would do is input Parfait in the search engine, and add a wildcard at the end of the word (Parfait*)
This makes it search for everything starting with Parfait (since the wildcard was inserted after the initial word)

The game I was looking for in this case, is Parfait -chocolat second brew-

Scenario Two:
I know the last part of the name. It is Night.
In this case I would input Night in the search engine, and then add a wildcard before the actual word (*Night)
This makes the search engine search for everything that ends with Night (because the wildcard was inserted prior to the initial word)

In this case, I was looking for Fate/stay night

Scenario Three:
I know part of the name. It is Breath.
When you only know part of the title (that is not the beginning, nor the end) then you would input a wildcard before and after the word. (*Breath*)
This makes it search for everything that has Breath included in the name.

In the last case, it was Wind ~A Breath of Heart~
bob-omb wrote:lets say im looking for catgirls

if i put

If you search for *catgirl* it will search for everything that has catgirl included in the source name.
Last edited by Fenrir on Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
amfest

Post by amfest »

bob-omb wrote:lets say im looking for catgirls

if i put

that is true but what about those who put "cat-girl" or "cat girl" You'll have to use *cat* and then it wouldn't be limited to just images of a catgirl as it will throw in any images of just a cat if it was labled as such.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

bob-omb wrote:*catgirl* wont that already give me all the possible catgirl images?
That will give you all the images containging that word (possibly as part of a larger word such as e.g. catgirls) in the Source field.
Since the 'Anime/Manga' field is highlighted by default, you'll have to highlight additional fields if you want those to be searched as well.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

Do you guys think the image description search is too complicated now? Or could there be a better way to arrange the checkboxes? I think it may be a bit confusing at first, so I'm open to suggestions.
e-shuushuu!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Personally I don't think it's too complicated, I feel it's more powerful and precise now... you however have to make a bit more effort than before by using correct wildcards and highlighting the correct field boxes.

Although honestly what is best? As in the previous system, you type in 'air' and get all images that have the letters 'air' in that order in any of their fields, meaning all "Air", "Bottle Fairy", "Pleinair" etc... images (meaning spending a lot of time browsing images you didn't want in your search result) or the current system, you type 'air' and get all "Air" images.
I prefer the current system, it's much more efficient.
amfest

Post by amfest »

I'd liike it if post content could be optioned off like artist, character information and such .. cause sometimes the image isn't tagged but someone mentioned what it was in a post though the image might not have been updated on it's tags. Also sorta bites when you start to type in one section and go .. Ops . . I meant another field . .and you click on it and the field resets . lol. d'oh. I guess it's mostly nitpicking stuff.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

is there a way that we can search by user as in

series: fate stay night
poster: solwyvern

so if some one posts a pic that were sure has been posted and we think its solwyvern that posted the first one then we can search his pics for that series and the series alone cos as we all know he and i and some other people have alot of pics so i was thinking that that may help in searching for reposts