Artist Judith Park - "Ysquare" and "Dystopia&

Talk about images!
Smithy

Artist Judith Park - "Ysquare" and "Dystopia&

Post by Smithy »

I just placed a few images on the image board of artist Judith Park, you can find her official website here at www.judithpark.com.

As you can read on her website, she's a German artist of Korean origin. Now why did I add her art and created a thread (which I hope is all ok with the mods?). Mostly because I like her artwork and was truly amazed at how terrific the art in her "Ysquare" manga is.

In fact, I met her last Saturday at the New Star Con convention here in Belgium. I was a bit sceptical at first when I saw there was a German manga artist there as I didn't know they had much of a manga scene or so but she had a few copies of her latest manga "Ysquare" at her table for visitors to browse and when I picked it up I was really amazed at how good it was! The art is really top notch!

We got talking and she turned out to be a friendly and nice young lady, quite passionate about art and drawing. I told her how amazed I was at the level and quality of her art, especially her syle of drawing the eyes.
In fact, she was making a sketch while I and other convention visitors were talking with her and when she finished it, she spontaneously gave it to me (all the other people were quite jealous) -for free!-. It's a beautiful sketch of Chana from her "Ysquare" manga.

I bought a copy of her manga from her (even though they technically weren't for sale there) and read it yesterday and it's very good. Next to the terrific art it's a cute romantic comedy story.

For those of you who may be interested, you can get the manga at amazon.de, it's in German though...
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

As you can also see on the site, no reuse of images.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Just wanted to share some enthusiasm about good anime/manga art and encourage people to purchase her manga if they like the art.

Isn't that what e-shuushuu in a sense is all about? Sharing our common interest and passion for nice anime/manga art?

And as for posting images -strictly legally speaking- any image posted or copied is copyright infringement unless it is expressly authorized by the copyright owner.
amfest

Post by amfest »

It's always one of those silly borderline things . . . well we can do it till someone says no. Although I think some of the silly ones are people who make wallpapers saying they are owned by them and in a sense if they added in alot of excess stuff that does . . but I've seen many where people say it's there but most of the wall is composed of the orginal artists images >_> . . . I think the greatest one I've seen yet was posted here about someone "scanning" images and it was alot of hard work so they don't want them displayed though they never had permission from the orginal artist to scan them in the first place :D

But yea Smithy it's great to be all hyped up about an artist that you actually got to meet. They do have some nice images.
AnimeJ

Post by AnimeJ »

Smithy wrote:Just wanted to share some enthusiasm about good anime/manga art and encourage people to purchase her manga if they like the art.

Isn't that what e-shuushuu in a sense is all about? Sharing our common interest and passion for nice anime/manga art?

And as for posting images -strictly legally speaking- any image posted or copied is copyright infringement unless it is expressly authorized by the copyright owner.
This is true. However, all image boards work on the premise of 'anything not explicitly forbidden is allowed'. Without that fair use interpretation, they simply wouldn't exist. However, when an artist explicitly forbids you to repost their artwork elsewhere, as many do, the one in question included, don't. It's that simple, and it's also part of the shuu^2 posting rules. As such, it's not up to you, or even me to question. If you don't agree with that, you're more than welcome to go to one of the other image boards that has no respect for artists wishes.

As an aside, I don't like being mean like this; but if you're going to play the card you chose, then you really leave me with no other options.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

AnimeJ wrote:As an aside, I don't like being mean like this;
You meanie!!! Whaaaa!!! :cry:

Seriously, I understand what you mean and your role as moderator bids you to act as such. However I did want to share my enthusiasm for her art, and without posting a single image on the image board, that's kind of hard to do, you know?
Perhaps I should have scanned that sketch she made me... halas, it's framed and up on the wall now.
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

Smithy's so cool even in situations like this. =D>
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I actually planned on writing the artist (Judith Park) sometime to let her know I really liked her manga and to thank her againf or the cool sketch. I should have done so earlier and asked her permission to post an image or two at a board as advertisement.

But writing her in German... going to be tough!
DG

Post by DG »

yeah i like her too, very nice manga i have read some of it already.. :D
ooh smithy if you need some help on your german just write me! i just love german =) most of my manga is german!
Perhaps I should have scanned that sketch she made me
so you have met her before!!! thats so ...sooo!! i dont have words for it
ichigomomomya

Post by ichigomomomya »

Well, there are already many german manga artists existing but Judith is the most known one. Few years ago I got a image with her sign from here when she was at austria. All her works are now avaiable as hmn... dont know if it is the right word... hearstory? Also maybe her first work will be turned into a anime. Well, at germany is a school existing that gives the apprenticeship for the job as anime artist.

However, the only sad thing is that her storys are way to short. *sniff* Well, she has a da account too and so it is easy to conntact her.
*Collects visual novel background scenes*
choco choco

Post by choco choco »

Smithy, I am from Germany (and live here) when you want to write her, I would translate your message ^^ That's no problem for me. I don't like her art so much, but I have read "Dystopia". (Gemany has a lots of new mangaka.... Gina Wetzel, Christina Plaka, and many more~)
canis

Post by canis »

Smithy wrote:But writing her in German... going to be tough!
If you want to write, why not in English? As far as I know she did her "Abitur" a school gratuation that requires you to speak english on a good level.

I didn't follow this topic (since I'm personally not interested in her works) so I didn't see your post earlier.
Or you just go back on choco choco's offer. ^^

BTW, didn't see you in awhile choco-chan. Welcome back! ^^
choco choco

Post by choco choco »

@ Canis

Yes, she has a "Abitur" and it have to be a good one, because she's going to study (I read this in "Daisuki"). I am in eleventh class and I am understanding nearly all of your texts and phrases here. I think SHE would understand them. ^^
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I appreciate the sentiment choco choco, thanks. But it was at last year's convention so it's been over a year now.

I do hope she draws more manga because I really like her artstyle. (Maybe if she can find a good scriptwriter for a serialization?)
choco choco

Post by choco choco »

Smithy wrote:I appreciate the sentiment choco choco, thanks. But it was at last year's convention so it's been over a year now.

I do hope she draws more manga because I really like her artstyle. (Maybe if she can find a good scriptwriter for a serialization?)
She's drawing more mangas ^^ Here they published the continueing of "Ysquare" "Ysquare plus" and a "short manga" (called "chibi" new invention xD 2 Euros for 50 sites) called "Luxus".

Here a link^^ http://www.carlsen.de/web/manga/person?id=30249