Imageboard Number of Tumbnails/Page

Have a good idea? Let us know
Cardcaptor_RLH85

Imageboard Number of Tumbnails/Page

Post by Cardcaptor_RLH85 »

I noticed after being gone for a while that the maximum number of images per page went from 20 or 25 (can't remember exactly which) to only 15. Is there any reason that the number of thumbnails can't be set back to 20 or 25? I remember that it was much easier to go through the images when the number was larger.
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

yeah, it's right here: → http://e-shuushuu.net/image.php?mode=view&image_id=9310
anonymous_object wrote:
solwyvern wrote:
anonymous baka wrote:are we missing pages? i remember there being more than 583 pages.. 860 or so if im not mistaken. hmm.

I'm seeing a max of 351 pages at 25 images per page. even though the 25
page function is no longer available, I'm still getting them at 25 per
page. ?_?
Well, I've changed any users that still had images per page set at 25 to 15. Also, set anonymous users to 10 per page...
anonymous_object wrote:
Nemesis The Anime Hunter 02 wrote:why did you change it from 25 to 15?
To save bandwidth and to have not incredibly long pages (when images have posts)
Cardcaptor_RLH85

Post by Cardcaptor_RLH85 »

Thanks again ^_^ *sigh* I thought that it was something bandwidth related...
bob-omb

Post by bob-omb »

i dont get the concept of bandwidth...
MahoroSakiMay

Post by MahoroSakiMay »

you might not ever read this, but maybe someone will ...

a great reason to lower the number of images is for bandwidth of the server.

The server and its network has its limits. These limits are affected in two ways ... monthly usage, and peak moment usage.

Let's say the server allows 50 GB a month. If people are browsing through pictures (much higher file size than forums/text), and they are not looking at most of those that are shown (maybe entered something wrong in the search, or whatever) ... then you just wasted 25 images of bandwidth up to 4 MB each photo (that is a large photo file though!). So ... now you just used up 100 MB of your monthly bandwidth! Of course, most photos are in the KB range :P

Now another is what the server can produce upstream, which is limited by their local internet provider. The more users browsing at the same time the more lag. If you lower the pictures that load for each page, that frees up a lot of available bandwidth and the site performs quicker ... making users happier.

I hope that helps with understanding why bandwidth is a consideration for a site administrator.

If you don't understand bandwidth itself ... it is the speed of the transference of data.

Take a file. Lets say 4 MB file. Now let us take an above average internet connection (based on results from speed tests comparing national and worldwide averages). These only run at about 1-2 MBps (or MegaBYTE per second). Now, you will see a different number advertise, usually 8x that amount. That same connection would be 8-16 Mbps (MegaBITS per second) or approx. 8000-16000 Kbps (laziness kicking in), still a lot faster than that 56 Kbps modem of a decade ago (or some still use today). Alternately, 56 KBps (actually 64 KBps or 512 Kbps) is about the average upload speed of an asymmetrical residential line (ADSL, both phone and cable will use this in most areas). So you can see how bandwidth can limit you and eat up a servers output (commercial lines are much higher rated than residential though :D )

What does this mean to you? Well, at a relatively fast connection of 2 MBps, it still takes you two seconds to download that one 4 MB file (though a 56K would take about nine minutes, both at peak speeds). Luckily, most files are not in the MB range ;)

This is also the reason you have size limits on avatars and signatures (other than aesthetics).
ecchina no wa ikenaito omoimasu!

wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Very good explanation, Mahoro, but it's a bit technical for the non-"expert" users. Perhaps a "pipe" metaphor is in order? XD