How should the search.php page work?

Automatically insert wildcards
38%
Wildcards should be inserted explicitly
62%

Total votes: 13

A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

The ability to search for different strings for each field would be useful, or at least allow separate searches for series and character.

A fair number of characters have common names, making searching for a specific one more tedious than it should be. For instance, searches for *Makoto* will return results from Kanon, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, Sailor Moon, School Days, etc. Being able to search for series: "Kanon" and character: *Makoto* would increase the relevancy of the results to what I had intended to look for.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Maybe some boolean operator for this could be considered ~~
Merun @ Twitter
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

Seconding A.Dantes' suggestion. The search function isn't very flexible to use...

I'm not sure if a boolean would do it unless you can somehow specify which strings relate to which tags. i.e. if you enter 'Ayu' and 'Kanon', how does the search function know that the former is a character and the latter is the series? And what happens if someone goes series->character? (At least I can't think of a way...?)

Perhaps a system where if you check one of the field checkboxes a separate textbox dynamically shows up just for that field...? Though I admit I don't know how feasible that'd be because I've done very minimal web programming...
poseidon21

Post by poseidon21 »

wew i agree with dante and wrexness. tough so far mostly i can handle that problem
unnyyyuuuuu~~~~...........wakaranai ne.........
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

A good suggestion! It'd be great if one could search and enter both a series search value, as well as a character and artist value.

E.g. Being able to search for all images of Wilhelmina by Noizi Ito, you could enter *shakugan*, *wilhelmina* and *noizi* in a field for each category.
poseidon21

Post by poseidon21 »

ANOU...I JUST NEWLY REMEMBER THAT IF WE USE THAT WAY OF SEARCHING(YOU CAN TYPE NAME,SOURCE,AND ARTIST) THERE'S STILL A PROBLEM ABOUT THE NAME(ups forgot to turn off caps lock)
as i ask before in here viewtopic.php?t=657
well at least we should try to make it the same in the future for the starts if we want to use that kind of search.
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

Altering how searches are performed on tags would also be helpful. For old users, typing in the tags manually isn't much of an issue. However, for new members this means keeping multiple tabs open ( one for the search and another for the tag list ) and constantly alt+tabbing between the two. If the tags were presented on the search page itself as a series of check boxes, it would be most helpful. I was thinking something that looked a bit like this.

Similarly, if the tags were presented as check boxes when uploading images it would help those who were still relatively unfamiliar with the existing tags. Even some regular contributors seem to forget about some tags from time to time and having it right in front of one is useful to jog one's memory.

Finally, properly <label>ing the fields in the search form would increase accessibility for everyone.
Merun

Post by Merun »

Don't think everyone switched to tabbed browsing

But sure, I can't remember all tag, but checkboxes for each tag would take quite a space. Maybe if it was only an option for newcomer.

For your problem Poseidon, you can only search for both ( we could add some bolean operator so that we use "*caro* and *kyaro*" ), and we try our best to uniformise the tags and name.
Merun @ Twitter
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the search page could use some reworking. I will put this on my list and will have some changes online hopefully within a week.
e-shuushuu!
Merun

Post by Merun »

A little something that miss the new search by size. It miss an "equal" operator.
Merun @ Twitter
anonymous_object
Site Admin

I'm still in the process of rewriting parts of the search page. I was hoping to do it yesterday but I ended up spending all my time optimizing SQL. I might have it done tonight.
e-shuushuu!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Search page updated!
I really liked your table-less layout, A.Dantes, so I went with a format similar to your example. Along the way, it made me realize how icky some of the HTML and CSS on the image board is >_<
Web interface design is not a strong point of mine... want to rewrite the UI for me? =P
e-shuushuu!
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

I think that would actually be a fun project. I assume you mean something along the lines of this page? I only tested this in FF2 and IE7, since it is just a draft. I know for certain that parts of the page will break down in IE 5 and 5.5. Screen shot of the page, as I see it in FF2, is posted here in the event it doesn't render correctly which ever browser.

Given that rewriting the website in this manner requires the rewrite of essentially every line of html presented to the user, it would be easiest if I had a local copy of the files to work with and then could send back a completed project. However, I know that you may be hesitant to turn over the source files to complete stranger for a variety of good reasons. If that is a serious query, how do you wish to proceed?
poseidon21

Post by poseidon21 »

wwwaaaaaaaaaa.....the search....
very nice...