Tag Suggestion Thread

Have a good idea? Let us know
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

I would assume that ^_^ = Smiling with the eyes closed?

However one thing that confuses me is why there's a need for both a happy and a smile tag. Don't they go hand in hand?

and thank you thank you thank you sooo much for adding the shorts and pants tags XD
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

I wish I could find a perfect example of when to use "^_^" but I don't have one at the moment.

As for "smile" and "happy"... They could probably be combined into a single tag and perhaps have one as an alias of the other. Any taggers/mods care to comment?
e-shuushuu!
Ran

Post by Ran »

tsukiko wrote:However one thing that confuses me is why there's a need for both a happy and a smile tag. Don't they go hand in hand?
Not necessarily. Happy can be a person laughing, while smiling is just...well, smiling.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Ran wrote:
tsukiko wrote:However one thing that confuses me is why there's a need for both a happy and a smile tag. Don't they go hand in hand?
Not necessarily. Happy can be a person laughing, while smiling is just...well, smiling.
Yes, but is not a smiling person always happy? The only way a smiling person would not be happy is if it was a fake smile in which case I don't think it would be tagged as "smile" anyway. Smile could be come a child of happy.
e-shuushuu!
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

Ran wrote:
"laugh" tag. lol
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

Oh! XD I get it now!! Rah~ well I think tags are something that show up when the necessity for them arises. Like for example, we have the sports tag, and that's good cause it's only 22 pages long. However there is a chance that eventually, it may have to be broken up. Let's saay that in a year from now, the "sports" catagory is 200 pages long, then it would possibly be necessary to break it down "basket ball, base ball, etc" XD If that makes any sense.

XD;; I'm not good at making sense, am I?
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

tsukiko wrote:Oh! XD I get it now!! Rah~ well I think tags are something that show up when the necessity for them arises. Like for example, we have the sports tag, and that's good cause it's only 22 pages long. However there is a chance that eventually, it may have to be broken up. Let's saay that in a year from now, the "sports" catagory is 200 pages long, then it would possibly be necessary to break it down "basket ball, base ball, etc" XD If that makes any sense.

Well, I understand that, but really unless everyone goes back and updates their tags for every image whenever a new tag is developed, or we have image recognition software advanced enough to automatically update all the tags, that 200 pages of sports images won't be sub-divided into separate pages of sports images and will only be useful for future images. Not that it'd be a terrible thing, but it doesn't "solve" the 200 pages problem.
Quenlin

Post by Quenlin »

I've joked about this a few times, but seriously now, I think we could use a Caramelldansen tag. There are a lot of pics parodying the animation loop.
Disabled for, and I can't believe I'm saying this, inappropriate use of a bus. - Ran
Yeah, but she's cute, whereas the kids from Code LYOKO are a sniper's dream come true. -RdMarquis
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

If we were to create a tag for every internet meme, we'd be in trouble. I'm sorry Quenlin, but I just don't see it working.

"Crossover" tag and "Popotan" source and voilá.
ichigomomomya

Post by ichigomomomya »

We need a tattoo tag, there are so many characters and gothic lolitas that have one...
*Collects visual novel background scenes*
Ran

Post by Ran »

I see character with tattoos to be about as prominent as characters who are smoking. While we do have a handful of images with the feature, I personally feel that it's not a prominent or even popular enough feature that would really benefit the site.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Ran wrote:I see character with tattoos to be about as prominent as characters who are smoking. While we do have a handful of images with the feature, I personally feel that it's not a prominent or even popular enough feature that would really benefit the site.
Tags do not have to have to dozens of images to be valid. In fact, that's what makes having some tags valuable... to find a select few images based on a particular theme. A tattoo tag is completely valid and we should have one.

We seem to have some conflicting views on how the tagging system should work =P If you're reluctant to add new tags because of the additional work on the mods and taggers, we can expand the tagging team.

Unlike many other sites that use tagging systems, shuushuu tag editing is mostly restricted to a few members. I think this improves the quality of tagging overall because we choose members who have shown they know artists, anime sources, characters, etc. The downside is that the task of most tagging is placed on this smaller group of members. The site is continually growing and a natural part of that is to add additional tags and members to the tagging team. I think it is time to add new members to the tagging team...
e-shuushuu!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

wrexness wrote:
tsukiko wrote:Oh! XD I get it now!! Rah~ well I think tags are something that show up when the necessity for them arises. Like for example, we have the sports tag, and that's good cause it's only 22 pages long. However there is a chance that eventually, it may have to be broken up. Let's saay that in a year from now, the "sports" catagory is 200 pages long, then it would possibly be necessary to break it down "basket ball, base ball, etc" XD If that makes any sense.

Well, I understand that, but really unless everyone goes back and updates their tags for every image whenever a new tag is developed, or we have image recognition software advanced enough to automatically update all the tags, that 200 pages of sports images won't be sub-divided into separate pages of sports images and will only be useful for future images. Not that it'd be a terrible thing, but it doesn't "solve" the 200 pages problem.
Over time, we will find that certain will need to broken up into more specific tags. This is actually not too hard, escpecially with only 200 images. The group of images we would need to go through is already determined and that's the hardest part ;) Instead of having to go through 80,000+ images, we only have to go through 200, add the new tag where needed.
e-shuushuu!
wrexness

Post by wrexness »

anonymous_object wrote:
wrexness wrote:

Over time, we will find that certain will need to broken up into more specific tags. This is actually not too hard, escpecially with only 200 images. The group of images we would need to go through is already determined and that's the hardest part ;) Instead of having to go through 80,000+ images, we only have to go through 200, add the new tag where needed.
Oh, by no means did I want it to sound like it was mentally or logistically difficult: just tedious. And as someone who's had to stare at his fair share of spreadsheets making minor changes to hundreds of cells at a time, that's sometimes is harder to do than something that is mentally more challenging. @_@

And I agree, 200 images would be fairly easy to do. But if it's a somewhat rarely used tag that no one pays much attention to, it's possible for it to get out of hand and get up to 200 pages of images. Assuming 15 a page, that's 3000 we're talking about. Throughout the whole database of images, that's nothing (less than half a percent), but it's a big chore for even a small group of people.

If you think about it, such rarely used tags are at a higher risk to get overly large because again, they don't garner much attention. In which case the only real way I can think to handle that would be to just periodically check some of these tags and set a limit to when it has to be split up. But that runs into the problem of trying to force a tag split where one may not necessarily apply... hrm, quite the pickle, and honestly it's not in the realm of thinking that I do well either. XD
tsukiko

Post by tsukiko »

.. ^^;; I really hope that I don't get in trouble for saying this.. but

One thing I've noticed is the tagging team and mods step in extremely quickly in this thread. Now whilst that should be done for outrageous requests, IE: Loli tag, sex tag, nude tag, or for tag suggestions that have already been done..like if someone is new and suggests a dress tag, which we already have.

A forum and an imageboard is like a community right? Therefore, I think ( and this is just my opinion ) that suggestions should be allowed time to have input from the community. Instead what we have is this:

Person A: I think a ___ tag would be nice

Mod B: __ tag would not work.

Suggestion falls into obscurity. :/ Now I'm not saying all suggestions are valid, nor should all of them be implemented. ^_^;; Just that seeing the actual opinions of the Shuushuu user would be nice..