Help~ Lookin' for animes about sentient robots..

Other misc discussion
redfield

Help~ Lookin' for animes about sentient robots..

Post by redfield »

I'm looking for any anime about or with sentient robots. Robots that think for themselves, feel and such. They can be anything from giant mecha, like Transformers, to androids, like Chii from Chobits.

Oh, by the way, 'Hi' this is my first post on the forum. :oops:
Buligete

Re: Help~ Lookin' for animes about sentient robots..

Post by Buligete »

Oh hey, another Mecha fan out here! =D Also, for sentient robots anime, well... I've been searching for some too. I've found one a while back, but I couldn't find the subbed episodes cause I don't have BitTorrent. There's J-Decker, or Brave Police, from the Brave series. You could check this one out, or, of course, there's Medabots. :D (Or Medarots in Japanese). There was SD Gundam, or Special Defense Gundam (affectionnally nicknamed Super Deformed Gundam). Other than that... I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. >u<;
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Xenosaga maybe?
MBF

Post by MBF »

If you can still find it, King of Braves GaoGaiGar has some, and as an added bonus, the mech designs were re-used in the 3 latest transformers series that came from japan (after Transformers Robots in Disguise but before Transformers Animated). There's also Z.O.E: Dolores and All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku (stick with Dash if you can. It's the only one that isn't slap stick comedy and actually has a serious storyline.)
Feel Free to add me to MSN, but leave your E-Shuu^2 SN on so I know who you are.
Buligete

Post by Buligete »

Oh, you mean, Armada, Energon and Cybertron? Also, I should make notes of this too, makes something to look out for. >.>
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Post by Evangeline Mcdowell »

here's a few suggestions then:

Coyote Ragtime Show - Features android assassins in goth-loli outfits.... twelve of them!
Ergo Proxy - features a loli robot plus a crash course in philosophy
Eve no Jikan - either the ova or the movie. A very good watch
Hand Maid May / Hand Maid Mai - teeny tiny maid robot!
Lost Universe - though technically Canal is not a robot, but a sentient ship!
Mahoromatic - I guess most people already know about this but...just incase you
Malice@Doll - if you just want to mess with your head....
Moekan the Animation - I've only really seen one episode of this so I can't really say much about this...
My Dear Marie - highly recommended!
Renkin San-kyuu Magical Pokaan - lighthearted comedy. the four heroines are a wereful, a vampire, a magical girl and an android!
Solty Rei - kinda meh I guess...
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - slice of life. Kind of like Aria
redfield

Post by redfield »

Thank you all~
Buligete wrote:There's J-Decker, or Brave Police, from the Brave series. You could check this one out, or, of course, there's Medabots. :D (Or Medarots in Japanese). There was SD Gundam, or Special Defense Gundam (affectionnally nicknamed Super Deformed Gundam).
I'm probably gonna end up watching The Brave series or SD Gundam next. (I'm watching Brigadoon right now) I've heard of Medabots, isn't it basically robotic Pokemon?
Tensa wrote:Xenosaga maybe?
Since I've never played the game it doesn't feel right to watch the anime for some reason.
MBF wrote:There's also Z.O.E: Dolores and All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku (stick with Dash if you can. It's the only one that isn't slap stick comedy and actually has a serious storyline.)
I've never heard of Z.O.E. before and I always assumed All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku was about.. well, catgirls.
Evangeline Mcdowell wrote:here's a few suggestions then:

Coyote Ragtime Show - Features android assassins in goth-loli outfits.... twelve of them!
Ergo Proxy - features a loli robot plus a crash course in philosophy
Eve no Jikan - either the ova or the movie. A very good watch
Hand Maid May / Hand Maid Mai - teeny tiny maid robot!
Lost Universe - though technically Canal is not a robot, but a sentient ship!
Mahoromatic - I guess most people already know about this but...just incase you
Malice@Doll - if you just want to mess with your head....
Moekan the Animation - I've only really seen one episode of this so I can't really say much about this...
My Dear Marie - highly recommended!
Renkin San-kyuu Magical Pokaan - lighthearted comedy. the four heroines are a wereful, a vampire, a magical girl and an android!
Solty Rei - kinda meh I guess...
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - slice of life. Kind of like Aria
Coyote Ragtime Show - "android assassins in goth-loli outfits" you just made that sound amazing.
Ergo Proxy - I've heard about this before but never watched it. I always liked how the main character looked though.
Eve no Jiakn - Never heard of this and just read the description on wikipedia, this is definitely going to up there on the next few things I watch.
Hand Maid May & Mahoromatic - Everyone seems too love these two anime so I guess I should watch them some day.
Malice@Doll & My Dear Marie - The first sentences of the plot summaries on ANN for these two is all it took to catch my interest.
Renkin San-kyuu Magical Pokaan - I watched this a long time ago and loved it. I completely forgot that there was a robot in this.
Buligete

Post by Buligete »

redfield wrote:
I'm probably gonna end up watching The Brave series or SD Gundam next. (I'm watching Brigadoon right now) I've heard of Medabots, isn't it basically robotic Pokemon?

Eeeeeh, not really. Maybe the whole 'collect the medaparts when you win a battle' part, but, I didn't really get a Pokémon feel to it. Maybe just watch the first episode to see for yourself. They're all on Youtube last I've known.
MBF

Post by MBF »

redfield wrote: I've never heard of Z.O.E. before and I always assumed All Purpose Cat Girl Nuku-Nuku was about.. well, catgirls.
Z.O.E is just the abbreviation for the Zone of the Enders series of games that was one of the launch games when the PS2 came out in the states. I want to say Kojima of MGS fame worked on it but I'm too lazy to double check that at the moment. Delores and Idolo are the only two anime based titles with the latter being an OVA prequel to the game series while the former was a tv series Nuku-Nuku is actually a Gynoid (female android) shell with the brain of a cat in it.

And I guess since Gundam was already mentioned as its SD series, I guess you could argue that at least 3 of the suits in Wing were sentient.

I had forgotten to mention this in the last post but there's also Diebuster aka Gunbuster 2 and even tho it's not a proper robot per say, Yukikaze.
Feel Free to add me to MSN, but leave your E-Shuu^2 SN on so I know who you are.
Julia

Post by Julia »

I see Eve no Jikan was already mentioned but I want to recommend it as well.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
starfisher

Post by starfisher »

I don't watch much for robot series, but a question like this is easily brought to TVTropes (since they have pages and pages worth of mecha "subgenres")

I believe the one you're looking for is this, but I'm not sure.
:?:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperRobot
All kinds of "wonders", I saw spinning inside the lavender monitor. Letting a drop of water fall, it spins like a filament. On and on...