Regarding Translations and How to Do it.

Other misc discussion
Aizawa

Regarding Translations and How to Do it.

Post by Aizawa »

How would I translate this? I don't know how to type kanji/katakana. I don't know the symbols and I've hidden around long enough to see people use them. I translated one thing in my life and it was only because of my book thing. I really want to translate this novel for my wife. So help would be nice.
Kiss and tell, isn't it far from here to hell?
Deoxys

Re: Regarding Translations and How to Do it.

Post by Deoxys »

If you have a smartphone or tablet you have apps which can identify and translate the kanji you draw in them. Another option would bo to use a dictionary, but I've never used a kanji one, so I have no idea about what criteria do they use to arrange the symbols: or to put the text here and see if someone can translate it.
Biba

Post by Biba »

Do you know hiragana/katakana? I mean can you read them? If you do I could give you some online resources I use for kanji. I think it'll be very hard to translate a whole novel if you can't read anything, even with online tools to help you. If you'd like I'm willing to help you translate the novel too.

I used this website a lot when I didn't know any kanji yet: http://kanji.sljfaq.org/ and http://kanji.sljfaq.org/mr.html. On the first page you can draw a kanji, on the second one you can look for the radicals it contains. You have to know the stroke order for kanji for the first page though, or it still won't find the kanji you're looking for.

If you need a translation of your image, the first kanji 七 means "seven". The なな (nana) next to it is the pronunciation. 海 (umi) means "sea". The み(mi) next to it is a different pronunciation I believe, but umi (うみ) is more common. 先生 (sensei - せんせい) means "teacher".
Biba

Post by Biba »

Actually I was thinking about that after I wrote my message, how you probably have a volume of the novel and can't share it for other people to translate. Too bad the sites don't work. Most resources I use are online ones, and the IME pad in Windows. It's very kind of you that you want to go through all this trouble for your wife, even though you don't have many resources to help you ^_^ If there's still anything I can do I'm always willing to help.

What do you mean use it in a sentence? Make a sentence in Japanese containing those three words?

先生は七つの海へ行って来ました。
Sensei ha nanatsu no umi he ittekimashita.
The teacher went to the seven seas.

It's a weird sentence but I couldn't really think of anything else using those three words ^_^;
Julia

Post by Julia »

Seems like a name/title: Nanami-sensei.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Biba

Post by Biba »

Oh wow you're right. I didn't realize because of the way it was written on the page. I guess I'm not suited to help after all.