[Shuu Survey] Oldest anime you have seen

Other misc discussion

What period is the oldest anime you have seen (watched at least one episode) from?

Earlier than 1950 (Wow!)
No votes
1950's
No votes
1960's
14%
1970's
36%
1980-84
36%
1985-89
No votes
1990-94
No votes
1995-99
No votes
2000-04
7%
2005-09
7%
2010-12
No votes
I have never watched any anime (like anyone is going to pick this one XD)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Julia

[Shuu Survey] Oldest anime you have seen

Post by Julia »

edit: now that 2013 has arrived, please interpret the "2010-12" option as "2010 or later". If I edit the options I think it will erase all the votes.

Anime has been around for a long time, although it has only gotten very popular in the last several decades. Which is the oldest anime you have seen? When and where did you see it? Did you watch it specifically because it was old, or because the story sounded interesting? What's your opinion on different eras of anime?

A few links for further reading:

Let's Anime: Classic Japanese Animation: 1960 - 1990 -Anime on CED
During the Format Wars of the 70s and 80s the struggle was on between VHS and Beta. But other format battles raged in the background. One such format was Capacitance Electronic Disc, or CED.
Wikipedia: History of anime
The history of anime began at the start of the 20th century, when Japanese filmmakers experimented with the animation techniques that were being explored in the West. During the 1970s, anime developed further, separating itself from its Western roots, and developing distinct genres such as mecha and its Super Robot sub-genre. Typical shows from this period include Lupin III and Mazinger Z. During this period several filmmakers became famous, especially Hayao Miyazaki and Mamoru Oshii.
Animation World Network: A Capsule History of Anime
As a result, Tezuka organized Japan's first TV animation studio, Mushi Productions. Not counting an experimental art film, Stories on a Street Corner (1962), its first release was a weekly series based upon Astro Boy, which debuted on New Year's Day 1963. It was such an instant success that, by the end of 1963, there were three more television animation studios in production and Toei Animation had opened a TV division. By the end of the 1960s, the popularity of TV science-fiction action-adventure anime was so overwhelming that Toei began to alternate it with fairy-tale fare for its theatrical features.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Deoxys

Re: [Shuu Survey] Oldest anime you have seen

Post by Deoxys »

70s. Gundam, mazinger Z, space battleship yamato... Those were really epic.

Also astro boy, but I don't know what year is that from.

Edit: Oh ok, 60s then xD
Julia

Post by Julia »

I saw one episode of Attacker You! (would've watched more, but only the first ep was English subbed). It's from 1984. Other than that, I watched Blue Flames/青き炎 from 1989 and Urotsukidouji from 1987-89. Those are the only ones from before 1990 I've seen.
Mami chibi drawn by Jiino, animated by me. | Sophie sig by Misuzu | My Anime-Planet page
RockRabbit wrote:but you know, not every image has a source and not every character has a name :3
Artifex

Post by Artifex »

Anderusen Dōwa Ningyo hime, an anime film adaptation of The Little Mermaid, is probably the oldest anime that I've watched, which Wikipedia says was made in 1975.
"To love another person is to see the face of God." - Les Miserables

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. . . . There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." - Sam, The Two Towers
XRena_chanX

Post by XRena_chanX »

A few from the 70's and many from the 80's.
Isoroku22

Post by Isoroku22 »

The oldest anime series I've watched are as far as I remember are Mahoutsukai Sally from 1966 and Tiger Mask from 1969. Thinking about it first anime series I've watched (not yet knowing it was anime) most of them were from late 60's and 70's.
Julia

Post by Julia »

Wait a minute! I did watch "Kore ga UFO da! Soratobu Enban", a 1975 short that chronicles various alleged alien encounters. You can find it on YouTube "Helpfully subtitled in gibberish that kind of reads like English" XD
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

Well, when I was little, there was a good amount of anime on TV, but they were all translated from Italian, so I thought they're from Italy, not Japan;

When I was somewhere around 4-5 years old, there was Paul no Miracle Daisakusen, Candy Candy, Fushigi no Kuni no Alice~
those were the one I remember best; so I guess... 70's?

The Little Mermaid that artifex mentioned, I've seen as well; but that was later on, when I started school and we had an afternoon Fox Kids blog on TV. Gosh, I loved that time!

Hm... I've seen Astro Boy too... O.o
*shrugs*
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Fhant

Post by Fhant »

I watched an episode of Sailor Moon. I guess that's 80's ish...

It still gave me nightmares being it dubbed into Dutch but then again, Japanese > Any other language dubbed IMHO.
[Signature space. $10]
Merun

Post by Merun »

Since I did try to watch the original Gundam, hmm, 70's.
Merun @ Twitter
demon_turtle1028

Post by demon_turtle1028 »

I'm with Fhant, watching Sailor Moon :P I used to watch it before I left to Elementary school at 6 in the morning.
"Oh, and just because I like humans, it doesn't mean that I like you personally." - Izaya
MidnightSky

Post by MidnightSky »

I watched a bit of Rose of Versailles.....I'm not into very old anime. I perfer the 2000-2005 titles overall. Yet, I'm completly cool with classic manga such as Crystal Dragon (early 80's), MW (70's), Heart of Thomas (70's), Akira (mid 80's), Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä (early 80's) etc.