Why do we still have the image rating feature? oO

Anything shuushuu related that doesn't fit into the other forums :)
canis

Post by canis »

I just wonder, as I said far above people are still mostly using the rating feature only if they really liked a pic. So giving 5/5 is similar to faving an image.

Maybe when you make an image your fave it gets automatically 5/5 too to spare the user doing it two times?
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Evangeline Mcdowell wrote:view/download a disabled image for instance
You just want to look at naughty images don't you. :wink:
Ran

Post by Ran »

Evangeline Mcdowell wrote:Just wondering... how are ratings calculated? Are they averaged out? Perhaps we could have a new link at the side bar like 'Top 100' or 'Best Gallery'.

And then..... Just an idea but, maybe you earn points for users rating your picts... which you could spend on...hmm... say do something you normally can't do (view/download a disabled image for instance or upgrade your viewing capacity from 15 images to 20 images per page). Just something to encourage use of the rating system XD.
Sounds a lot like a Minitokyo type theme.

I think a "Top 100" would be nice, but with a rating system of only 1-5 it could be tiresome with only the most recently voted being on top. If there were a way to track votes, then that would be a bit more functional.
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Post by Evangeline Mcdowell »

Smithy wrote:
Evangeline Mcdowell wrote:view/download a disabled image for instance
You just want to look at naughty images don't you. :wink:
Don't get any weird ideas :roll: I knew it was a bad idea to post that -_- Why didn't I listen to my intuition...
Anyway, I couldn't think of anything else as a way to make people want to save up and spend points, so.... there...
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

Well, I've given this some thought and I think the idea of displaying the top rated image is a great idea.
I've hacked up a concept page to list the top rated images and it can be found here.
In order to get around images that have been rated 5/5 by just one user, I made it only show images that have had 3 or more ratings and then orders by the overall image rating.
As soon as people start rating the images, the image order/content of this page will change a lot at least until the true highest rated images stabilize.

Other things:
The rating for an image is the average of all user ratings for that image.
If people don't like the star images for the ratings, I'm open to image submissions for a replacement. Kawaii flowers or sakura petals would be nice if some one could provide them (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full images please).

Any thoughts? Let me know, I will continue to work on the top.php page.
This has also given me ideas on the possibility of a page to show the images that are most often favorited ;)
e-shuushuu!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Also, please look at this post and vote for your preference.
e-shuushuu!
Ran

Post by Ran »

Pink sakura petals sounds really nice to me. I think it would fit with the focus of the board quite well.

As for the rating board, it looks good. So, if I understand correctly, the ratings of the images will adjust as more people vote so this will allow images to cycle more often. I think that's great! :D
amfest

Post by amfest »

Anony how about making the rating page a bit different by not displaying comments . . It's more a gallery of the top rated images . . maybe you can put a simple text under the image if there are comments that just simply says . .read user's comments for this image. Just a thought
Ran

Post by Ran »

amfest wrote:Anony how about making the rating page a bit different by not displaying comments . . It's more a gallery of the top rated images . . maybe you can put a simple text under the image if there are comments that just simply says . .read user's comments for this image. Just a thought
That sounds good. It may be a bit much though.

I was thinking something similar to a display board, but that would require a lot of programming on Anon's part. Not sure if he's looking to put quite that much time and such into it.
onomeister

Post by onomeister »

amfest wrote:Anony how about making the rating page a bit different by not displaying comments . . It's more a gallery of the top rated images . . maybe you can put a simple text under the image if there are comments that just simply says . .read user's comments for this image. Just a thought
As long as it's not too much work off Anony_O's time, I really really think that's an GREAT idea! It would be a lot of work though...
It's g*dd@mn cold here in Canada....!
anonymous_object
Site Admin

How about this?
e-shuushuu!
Ran

Post by Ran »

I like that ALOT better! :D
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

Wow! That last one looks great ^^ I love that new page!
onomeister

Post by onomeister »

OMFG!!! THAT is sooo awesome! Luvit luvit luvit!
Great job! and so damn quick too! You are a talented god Anony_O...

Now, since we're at it... (and I ALWAYS wanted to suggest this), who here thinks the same layout anony_O has just made for Top Images would also be EXTREMELY helpful for use with the Search function??? Oh please oh please oh please... Will save alot of time when searching for reposts!!!
It's g*dd@mn cold here in Canada....!
Evangeline Mcdowell
Site Admin

hm.. I hadn't thought of that, but yes, I think that layout would be a great deal more helpful when it comes to searching for reposts.