I need a bit of help.

Other misc discussion
softfang

I need a bit of help.

Post by softfang »

I seriously don't know where else to go. Tumblr does absolutely nothing, and I really don't know how I'd report this to "authorities" since it's an online harassment deal.

Anyway, for a long time now, there's been a blog on Tumblr aimed directly toward me. They do nothing but sit around and bitch, whine, complain, and make up lies and rumors about me, my closest friends, and my characters. They've gone so far as to call me things like Shitfang, Cuntfang, and other stupidly childish names.

I've tried to get them to stop. I've asked, pleaded even. And yes, I've tried to ignore it and just move on with my life, but it's getting to the point where it's impossible for me because I feel helpless and alone in dealing with this. They do nothing but antagonize me and continually berate me and belittle even my friends who try to stick up for me by calling them "white knights".

I've reported this blog several times now, and each time, I get the same automated response that basically tells me that nothing is going to be done because these people have the right to express their opinions. While that may be true, don't you think it's ridiculous to allow that to keep going on? I, for one, consider it harassment. Just because they're not telling me to kill myself or threatening my actual life somehow, they're STILL counteracting their entire point--they claim I'm a bitchy immature 12-year-old with offensive characters. And yet, they're the ones who made a blog about me to spread rumors, speak nastily, and degrade me and cause all sorts of drama for me based on nothing but assumptions.

Tumblr won't do anything to help me (and for this I really wish I could sue them).

All I want is for that stupid thing to be taken down. Yes, I'm well aware that they can just make an entirely new one (or knowing these idiots, they've made many more around the internet and I just haven't happened upon them yet), but even so. This is getting out of hand.

I mean, seriously... claiming that I made up my two online boyfriends (who each have their own DeviantArt accounts)? Claiming that I self-diagnosed myself with Cerebral Palsy to get attention? Claiming that I've got my head up my ass thinking I'm the world's greatest person ever (or at least queen of DeviantArt, according to them) who can do no wrong and is always perfect and right?

I get that I could just move on from this, but for me, this is too difficult to just ignore. I get that people will hate me for no reason whatsoever, but it still bothers me that these sites don't do anything about it when it gets this bad.

Anyway, I just... I need help. Or at least comfort. I'm not trying to gain pity, but I do want to know that there might be someone out there who could help me out somehow.
DeviantArt Commissions OPEN | Remember 6.12.2016
Merun

Re: I need a bit of help.

Post by Merun »

Ouch. This is a really tough problem, and, I can't really help considering I don't know much about USA's law and systems ( though from what I know, I don't really want to live there ). Among what I know is that protection over Internet, sucks for the sake of Freedom of speech of the sacrosanct Constitution.

First of all, due to an old case I remember, just telling support "Please close this, it's harassment" doesn't work. What you need is point out whether or not the Tumblr is breaking the Terms of services or the Community Guide Line.

http://www.tumblr.com/policy/en/terms_of_service
http://www.tumblr.com/policy/en/community

If it doesn't work, gotta check with someone who knows the American system better. Call to FBI, check with a lawyer, dunno really.
Merun @ Twitter
Hopeful_Encounter

Post by Hopeful_Encounter »

Sadly the internet is going to always be full of rude and cruel people. Since they can hide their face behind a computer, they feel like they can say whatever they want. This whole situation seems very strange to me. Either the person who made that blog is jealous of you or you did something to them that truly made them angry. Of course, that's no excuse as to make a hate blog directed towards you. The person could just very well be a mean person who gets enjoyment on spreading hate and cruelty around. For all we know, this person could have created other hate accounts. Do you have any idea on who this person (who made the blog) is? Are they on deviantART or any other site that you know of? I remember awhile ago that you made a post on here, asking about cyberbullying. I'm guessing this is what that topic was related to?

Tumblr lets people express their opinions openly and harshly. Well, pretty much the whole internet allows it. Still I know there are many sites that make an effort to cut back on hateful comments and cruel behavior (like our beloved Shuu for example). This hate blog towards you though is just unacceptable though. What worth could a site like that possibly gain for Tumblr? People should have the right to express their opinions, but there is a difference between giving an opinion and being a complete jerk about it. Many people don't know how to express an opinion without using offensive language and cruel statements. While the idea of Freedom of Speech is a wonderful thing, it tends to cause a lot of trouble (because people abuse it). It's kind of like the Westboro Baptist Church. They're identified as a hate group, but since they're not "physically" harming someone or on certain property, they can say whatever they want. It's confusing.

I'm not sure if all of this would be considered cyberbullying or not. Still, they're spreading rumors and hateful comments over the internet, and they're directing them towards you. It doesn't matter if they say "die" or "kill yourself," they're leaving comments in an aggressive way, that is making you feel uncomfortable. Perhaps you should look this site, that talks about cyberbullying?

http://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/index.html
(they also explain ways on how to report cyberbullying).

Again though, I'm not sure if this would be considered cyberbullying or not, because they're not "directly" sending you hate (unless they have so in the past?). If anything, perhaps you could forward information on cyberbullying to Tumblr and explain your situation again. Not sure if they will listen or not, and they may just send the same reply to you again...but it's still worth a shot.

More than anything, you just have to try your best to ignore all of this. I know it's hard and it's easier said than done, but you yourself said that you know these people are simply nasty and cruel people. Don't let them get to you. Instead, feel sorry for them. I mean, these people can't think of anything better to do than make nasty comments and hate blog? That's incredibly sad. Also they're hypocritical indeed, since they say you're rude, etc., and yet they themselves are being rude and mean. Makes no sense. We're all going to meet people in our lives who don't get along with or we may not agree with, but hey, that's life. You can't just go and make a hateful blog about them. You just got to move on and accept the fact that there are different people in this world. When I meet someone who I may not "connect" with, I always try my best to not judge them or make cruel opinions on them. I try to put myself in their shoes and try to understand on why they may feel or act in a certain way. Still, no matter what kind of person someone is or what they may have been through or are going through, everyone should make an effort to be nice to other people. Make an effort to not be rude or cruel. I know this will never happen, and there will always be people who are mean and rude...after all, we're only human. But still...I wish people would make more of an effort.

Anyway, best of luck with all of this softfang. Stay strong and don't take their comments to heart. May happiness come your way. Take care. ^_^
I'm gonna be the one that saves you.
RockRabbit

Post by RockRabbit »

Ah, man, I wish I knew what to tell you. I was never cyberbullied, so I can't be of help aside from giving you my support and backing Hopey up on what she said and suggested :/ It sucks that this is happening to you, and I'm sorry that you have to experience this..
In the end, if nothing else works and if you can, block the page in some way, so you wouldn't tempt yourself to go there and see the new "content" they're posting, this will only affect you in a bad way. Keep yourself away from things and do not give in to their words. I hope that they will soon run out of idiocy and just give up. If you let yourself be affected by their words, you're only doing them a favor, so stay strong, ignore them and keep doing what they do. They're not the people to define you, especially after accusing you of being childish, yet running to a hate blog to express their "feelings".
Best of luck to you with this :/ If I find any way to help you out, I'll post ASAP.
  • Your lips, you lies, your lust;; Like the devil's in your hands
Tensa

Post by Tensa »

Huh, another trolling tumblr blog? Last one I remember was aimed at someone I followed on tumblr (since I'm not active anymore, kind of at all). Though said person used to cry about it to her friends. Oh, it was fun to watch it with her fake 'cute innocent girl' persona out on the field. I have no idea how she succeeded in making them delete their blog, but she did it.

Well, as I told many more, just ignore them (yes, you can). You can block those that send you messages (even anons iirc). Trolls just try to get attention and rile you up. If you fall for their attempts, they will do it more. So keep ignoring them. It would have been better for you to do it in the beginning. Ignoring them will eventually make them bored of it. I don't believe it will cease to exist. However it will stop in time.
If I were you, the first time I'd hear of such a blog I'd go there and express my thank you to them for using their time and attention on me. Stating that I did not believe myself to be worthy of attention from so many people.

Question is, what did you do to earn their attention? They could have just appeared out of nowhere, but the chances of trolls targeting you out of random are very slim since there are many tumblr bloggers. Maybe it's your character they dislike or they found it to be exploitable. What you write or how you write?

I didn't have any trolls creating a blog specifically for me. The only things I did have were hate messages. Ohh how I remember a certain guy who was butthurt that his girlfriend was spending more time chatting with me instead of him. Well, he had a reason. But he was clearly butthurt. Or those anons that just send message after message stating how gay, terrible, annoying, etc. I am. You know what I did? I laughed. I wasn't even angry. It was just so funny I actually made a few posts inviting more haters to send me messages, however they did not bite. Now that I think about it, I believe I kind of did a reverse psychology thing.

The only tumblr blog dedicated to me that I know is this one. Which is making me laugh even now.
Aizawa

Post by Aizawa »

Jesus, just the blog name screams of immaturity. I winced looking through some of the posts to be. ..quite honest. There sure is a lot of malicious people in the world. I never had someone out right make posts and stuff about me as an attack or anything, but I did have a situation where this guy used my photos as his identification.

I found some anti-bullying links that may help you feel better about reporting, but I'm pretty sure Tumblr has to understand that there is a limit to the 1st amendment about freedom of speech? Stating a simple opinion is one thing, but down right bullying and shaming is another, and here in Texas, it is treated as a serious crime. As sad as it is to say, people have commit suicide over these things. But knowing my luck you probably don't live in Texas anyway, but a majority of the U.S.A now has a zero-tolerance policy for bullying. About time. Sad.

http://igetbulliedtoo.tumblr.com/ (Seems dead, last post a year ago)
http://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/index.html
http://www.stopbullying.gov/get-help-now/index.html
http://cyberbullying.us/ (U.S.A based site)

I would follow Merun's advice, too. I had a Tumblr once, but though it never happened to me personally, I see it happen to many, many people, so I deleted my old, popular one. I know of these blog's called "Artist Confessions" and "Artist Gossips" and those blogs. .. I just can't even describe it. I don't draw, but I write. I would also add yourself to the blacklists there, and any other spiteful DA/Artist based blog that has one. The less attention, the better it seems for these cases.

http://artist-confessions.tumblr.com/
http://artist-gossips.tumblr.com/

I really hope you over come this soon. it is a tough and fragile situation, and if it helps I see around all the time and you aren't any of those things. You seem kind and down-to-Earth to me, anyway. Just try and be the better and bigger person. I also hope those people grow up and quit playing "Edgy and so hardcore" soon.

. .. And Tensa, that blog towards you scares me. XD
Kiss and tell, isn't it far from here to hell?
softfang

Post by softfang »

Aizawa wrote:But knowing my luck you probably don't live in Texas anyway
I actually do, in fact. Houston.
Deoxys

Post by Deoxys »

I just came back to the forums after a long time and saw this.

Report it to tumblr staff, but send a direct email or leave a public twitter message about it. They usually take care of those first.
softfang

Post by softfang »

Deoxys wrote:I just came back to the forums after a long time and saw this.

Report it to tumblr staff, but send a direct email or leave a public twitter message about it. They usually take care of those first.
I've tried to report it several times. As for "direct e-mail" I wouldn't know what e-mail to send it to.
Deoxys

Post by Deoxys »

I guess it's support@tumblr.com. I've mailed them couple of times with stuff and they answered every time.