Search functionality

Have a good idea? Let us know
Watanuki

Search functionality

Post by Watanuki »

Ability to filter disabled/deleted images from search results? some pretty vague or popular search queries might give over a hundred pages of results, which takes quite a while to browse. It'd be nice if you could choose whether or not to skip that excess baggage if you're not concerned with user comments.
Ran

Post by Ran »

Under EDIT PROFILE there is a choice right under OPTIONAL INFORMATION that should let you choose to see disabled/deleted images or not. Does this not work with the search function?

Also, just to let you know, the mods have been starting to clean out the old disabled/deleted images. Mainly ones of reposts and other unnecessary images. However, there are over 100 pages of these images so it could take a while. (^_^);
Last edited by Ran on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watanuki

Post by Watanuki »

ahh, never bothered with profiles. thanks.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Ran Kizama wrote:Also, just to let you know, the mods have been starting to clean out the old disabled/deleted images.
We have? Crud... ok.. guess I'll get on that too. :P
Ran

Post by Ran »

Smithy wrote:
Ran Kizama wrote:Also, just to let you know, the mods have been starting to clean out the old disabled/deleted images.
We have? Crud... ok.. guess I'll get on that too. :P
lol, well I have at least. :lol:
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

I'll ask here...

There seems to be some inconsistency with the newly implemented image source being handled as a tag.

• How do I make wild card searches for the anime/manga source?

Wild card searches only work for the old sources, and it won't bring up the newly uploaded images.

• What about the source titles for images with multiple names?

For instance,
"Higurashi no naku koro ni" and "Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai" bring up different results and I can't seem use a search for Higurashi*

or

The Nanoha series has three labels,
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS

All three source tags bring up different images and image-order,

-

Of course, I can see the usefulness of making the source as a tag, but since we already had a bunch of images from the same source with different naming conventions, I feel as though it complicates searching.

Like for when I use the search the image source with a *Goddess*, It's guaranteed that It'll bring out every image from the Ah! My Goddess series, regardless of wheter it was named 'Oh! My Goddess' or 'Ah! My Goddess!'
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Post by anonymous_object »

The new tags actually simplify searching. There is no need for "wild card searches". If you want all Nanoha series, just include all the Nanoha tags. Same with Ah! My Goddess.
We'll probably eventually have single master tags for each collection of related series (not there yet).
e-shuushuu!
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

er.. I guess it does simplifies and organizes our titles, but when it comes to speed and accurate searching wouldn't the wildcard be faster/better?

Like:

I want to search for Hayate no Gotoku images, I have to write in
"Hayate the Combat Butler" in the source field

...and it doesn't include crossover images labeled like this :

...or dual named images labeled like this:

..and it also doesn't yield Hayate the Combat Butler images labeled with it's japanese title Hayate no Gotoku (since there's no tag for it)

Whereas I used to be able to get all of the above(ie all of the Hayate images ) with a wildcard search of:

*hayate*

//==============================
anonymous_object wrote: We'll probably eventually have single master tags for each collection of related series (not there yet).
If ever we do get this implemented, do we really go through every image to rename them to it's universal identity tag?
Surely, there will be images that will be lost and become unreachable.
anonymous_object wrote:There is no need for "wild card searches". If you want all Nanoha series, just include all the Nanoha tags.
Tried it with it's three names all at once:
"mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha" "mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha A's" "mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha strikers"

..and I got this:
anonymous_object
Site Admin

solwyvern wrote:er.. I guess it does simplifies and organizes our titles, but when it comes to speed and accurate searching wouldn't the wildcard be faster/better?
No...
That's all I'll say for now. When image sources are fully converted to tags, there will be no question which method is better.
e-shuushuu!
A.Dantes

Post by A.Dantes »

I'm assuming these situations will be handled by creating an umbrella tag for the series and then setting all of the related tags to inherit from it, just like the current tagging system. ( "School Mizugi" and "Two Piece" both inherit "Mizugi", if I didn't make myself clear. )

However, the relationship is only displayed one way. I can't look up "Two Piece" and see that "Mizugi" inherits from it. Its not an issue with the theme tags, but I would like the relationship to be shown both ways with the source tags. There are some series I would not have even thought to look for a parent tag for the series since I thought they were completely standalone until I started searching titles here.

Also, it would be convenient if when I typed an invalid source tag into the search, it would display a list of matching tags instead of the current "Not a valid tag phrase." error. ie, If I search for "ef*" as the source, it should suggest I meant to search for "ef - a Fair Tale of Two" or "ef - a tale of memories". For this particular case, the current automatic matching on the search page is mostly sufficient, but it doesn't cover any case where I search for the source starting with an * or if javascript is disabled.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

A.Dantes wrote:However, the relationship is only displayed one way. I can't look up "Two Piece" and see that "Mizugi" inherits from it. Its not an issue with the theme tags, but I would like the relationship to be shown both ways with the source tags. There are some series I would not have even thought to look for a parent tag for the series since I thought they were completely standalone until I started searching titles here.
Actually, the relationship is shown both ways. Check the "twin piece" tag. It says quite clearly that it is inherited from "mizugi".
A.Dantes wrote:Also, it would be convenient if when I typed an invalid source tag into the search, it would display a list of matching tags instead of the current "Not a valid tag phrase." error. ie, If I search for "ef*" as the source, it should suggest I meant to search for "ef - a Fair Tale of Two" or "ef - a tale of memories". For this particular case, the current automatic matching on the search page is mostly sufficient, but it doesn't cover any case where I search for the source starting with an * or if javascript is disabled.
Considering from the start, shuushuu has required javascript for many features... if you're browsing without javascript support... oh well. I have no intention of fully supporting users who choose not to enable javascript. As for searching for tags like ef*, that would be completely redundant since that's how the auto suggest works. For tag searches with a starting wildcard... not sure about that... I'll give it some thought, but I think the user doing the searching would at least know what their desired source (or some alias) starts with.
e-shuushuu!
solwyvern

Post by solwyvern »

*sigh* alright...

IMHO, I really honestly think that the wildcard system was a great way of searching.
Having to use wildcards for the sources, characters and artists paired with some specific image tags - I could find almost anything in shuushuu.

I even found it to be far more superior than the now-very popular danbooru system of tagging images.

Now that sources are handled as tags, makes it far more difficult for me.
I really liked the previous system, so I really don't want to give up my opinion so easily...
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

The thing is, while the wildcard system potentially made you able to search for a specific string in an image source, it did not always work as expected.
The reason is simple, since the user who posts the image has to fill in the source it is strictly reliant on the fact that they can tag their images properly.
Yes, the moderators and the tagging team can correct a faulty source, but there's no reason to have to give them an extra redundant workload which is what I found to be the case with the old source system.

While I liked the system, it became increasingly obvious that as the userbase grew, the system itself was more susceptible to faulty tagging.
anonymous_object
Site Admin

Fenrir wrote:While I liked the system, it became increasingly obvious that as the userbase grew, the system itself was more susceptible to faulty tagging.
Definitely, there is more here to consider than just the the wildcard searching. Without tags, users uploading images from a particular series had to find out what was the "common" source previously used on shuushuu (if there was one). Of course, not all users did this. As a result, mods and taggers had to edit many images to make them conform to some common name that allowed the wildcard searching you speak of to take place. This is a lot of work to maintain, even more so now that shuushuu is becoming quite large.
With the tagging system, assuming a user knows to start typing 'ef' in the source tag field, it will suggest "ef - a Fair Tale of Two" or "ef - a tale of memories" or whatever. They pick the right one and that's it... it simplifies the process for the user uploading as they don't have to worry about not having the correct format of the series (it's already in place). Also, it makes it easier for mods and taggers. We can now quickly apply tags to many images at once, again not having to worry about name format. There may be some downsides to the tagging system, but I believe the gains far outweigh the losses. Also, the tagging system will see future improvements to increase usability and make it more intuitive. I do think the tag searching specifically could use some improvements and I'll put it on my list.
e-shuushuu!
AngelLily

Post by AngelLily »

I think sol is ahead of himself. Not all images have been updated yet. So, in theory, once we get everything right and working properly, ALL Hayate images will be under the same tag, regardless if they were labeled "Hayate no Gotoku", "Hayate no Gotoku!" or "Hayate the Combat Butler" in the past. Also, for crossover images, the tags for all series in the picture will be used. So of course they'll be included.